Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Parts needed - hopefully

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi all at the forum.

Sadly I had an accident with my beautiful SMt, which I have loved from the first moment I tried it.
Sand/gravel on the road coused the accident, I fell from about 30-40 km/h at the right side into the asphalt. The bike slipped for approx. 4-5 meter, then stopped. I hit the ground with my right shoulder and the right foot under the bike... Both hands on the handlebar all the way until it hit the ground. Luckely the helmet barely touched tha ground(!)

Almost 14 days after the accident I'm still in a wheelchair due to the damages on my body; broken ancle, ligament/leading strings in bad shape, fractures at Tibia and Fibula, a broken finger and strong pain in my upper chest/shoulders. That's why I can't use crutch yet. Although I'm having strong pain killers there is a big issue every morning to get out of the bed.
Inside the apartment, can't go out, not even on the small balcony... :(
Skärmavbild 2018-06-01 kl. 09.54.55.png
Skärmavbild 2018-06-01 kl. 09.54.55.png (89.09 KiB) Viewed 2677 times
The bike was taken to the local KTM workshop and is still there. I'm waiting for my first steps with crutches and to get help from someone get me there to see how big/bad the damages are.

The handlebar is broken at right side. I heard from someone that the front plastics on right side, the tank and the right side heat shield are 'broken'.

My guess is that handlebar, right side mirror, hand guard, throttle grip, front plastics (mask spoiler) and spoiler (the orange one), rear axle nut, heat shield with bag support, baggage carrier, fot peg, foot brake lever and front flasher is 'dead parts'.
But, it could be even worse. I can imagine that the front fork lower part is scratched, the brake calipers, maybe the exhaust pipe broken, side cover, swinging arm, front brake lever and reservor, brake hose and...

At this moment I'm really really sad about the situation :cry:
I have spent so many hours in the garage with 'My Love' and I think I want her back. I'm not sure I will drive the bike again, but still it is the best bike I have ever had!

Listen up guys!
Do you have or do you know someone who got some of the part that I listed above, to sell to me for a reasonable/fair price?
Please, if you can help me in any way I would be so grateful.

Best regards and be careful on the roads!

/Magic
Last edited by Magic Wand on Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:47 am, edited 3 times in total.

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Parts needed - hopefully

Post by eagle_awd » Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:42 pm

Oh man, that really sucks :( . Wishing you speedy and successful recovery Magic. Bike parts can always be replaced.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear that mate. Get well soon and hopefully you can get yourself and the bike back on the road.

My bike is about to go into "hospital" next weekend - replace 2 x base gaskets, water pump seal, fuel pump, inspect some rusted/sussed engine mounts plus a few other things. I'll get to see if the engine is 58kg :lol:

J

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Update. 25 days after accident and 23 days after surgery.

My body recovery is like... more or less unnoticeable improvements... :(
Well, that not true - in fact the plastic from the right leg was cut of Tuesday 5th of June and the stiches cut away as well. Everything looked good.
X-ray the same day showed that the Fibula bone (the broken area close to the knee) is healing just as expected ;)
I'm now wearing the Walker-orthos at night but not at daytime, due to it's heavy, clumpsy and uncomfortable status.
My shoulders and the collar bone attachment to the shoulder is acing A LOT... Went througt a magnetic resonance imaging today and hopefully the result will be told in some days. I believe something is wrong...
Still can't use the cruthes and the wheel chair is my 'best friend' at the moment... :x
I'm using heavy medicine/drugs (Yea it's true) and it make me very tired - sometimes I loose my mood and get angry. Sleep isn't that good, have to pee 2 times every night and also take more pills at about 4 o'clock.

And what about the 'Kate M''/990 SMt?
Well, I had the opportunity to have a look at the bike today, and I was a bit afriad of what I was going to see...

Results:
The turn signal unit is broken into small pieces (need to be replaced).
The handguard is not broken but scratched (...?).
The handlebar is broken, right off (need to be replaced).
The mirror is not broken but the outer shell is scratched (...?).
The brake lever is bent a lot (need to be replaced).
The orange plastic cover/fairing at the fuel tank is very much scratched (need to be replaced).
The fuel tank is quite much scratched (It is possible to flush and grind and then paint the tank).
The foot brake lever is not broken but has 'touched' the clutch cover and made some small marks (...?).
The foot peg is scratched but not broken (...?).
The heat shield with it's bags supports is very much scratched (need to be replaced).

IMG_2359.jpg
IMG_2360.jpg
IMG_2361.jpg
IMG_2362.jpg

What do you say guys?
As far as I concerne, the insurance company Will let repair the bike if the total cost doesnt reach 50% of the total value of the bike. But if the cost will exceed 50% of the total value they will say No, and give me some money for the bike.

/Magic
-

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:53 pm

Looks like mostly cosmetic damage. The worst damage being the handle bar. It doesn't look too bad. Is the front brake master cylinder damaged ?. Good to see you are recovering.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:14 pm

Yes that's what I say as well.

I think the front brake master cylinder is still in good shape. Couldn't see any damage on it at all. No leaks and so on.

Thanks!

/M

CatDaddysBBQ
125cc
125cc
City: North Aurora
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Glad you're healing, even if it probably seems slower than you'd like...

Bike will be fine. It may or may not be worth it to spend a TON of money to get it 100% again, but as most have said it's mostly cosmetic.

I know the tank will cost a small fortune to replace if it's not repairable - and the other stuff (bars included) won't cost as much all together as just the tank itself.

My thought would be to fix the rest of the stuff now-ish, and down the road if the scuffing on the tank is really bothering you recoup some of the money you spent on the rest and when you get the chance to have an extra 1200 (in u.s. dollars for what it'd be for me here) or whatever it costs - get yourself a new tank then.

Best of luck! Keep healing!

CatDaddysBBQ
125cc
125cc
City: North Aurora
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:57 pm

Glad you're healing, even if it probably seems slower than you'd like...

Bike will be fine. It may or may not be worth it to spend a TON of money to get it 100% again, but as most have said it's mostly cosmetic.

I know the tank will cost a small fortune to replace if it's not repairable - and the other stuff (bars included) won't cost as much all together as just the tank itself.

My thought would be to fix the rest of the stuff now-ish, and down the road if the scuffing on the tank is really bothering you recoup some of the money you spent on the rest and when you get the chance to have an extra 1200 (in u.s. dollars for what it'd be for me here) or whatever it costs - get yourself a new tank then.

Best of luck! Keep healing!

Blakey58
125cc
125cc
City: Portsmouth
Year: 2009

Post by Blakey58 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:17 pm

Sorry to hear about this. I also had a big crash once before important to make sure you do lots of exercise after you are healed to bring your muscles back up to strength that makes all the difference!

Tank is only plastic it's probably fixable with some body filler and paint ? the scuff on orange panel is not bad either all looks simple to get bike back on road does not need to look perfect.

I'm selling indicators set, tank plastics and a right hand rear 1/4 panel on ebay currently that's a good chunk of what you'd be needing ? https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173368837678 ... 1558.l2649

If i were you though i'd just make it rideable and leave it at that, fix the other things yourself over time as and when you can get parts cheap

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:34 pm

Hi 'CatDaddysBBQ' and 'Blakey58'!

Thank's for your support guys! I appreciate it much, and I like the way you're thinking!

Hmmm.... Blakey, you make me think of something 'crazy'; maybe I should buy the white fuel tank plastic panels from you, and use left side orange and right side white! Haha! :lol: I'm not sure both white would make the looking of the bike nice... :?: I have painted some parts in orange instead of buying the expensive orange anodized ones.
Lets see what the insurance company say first. I might contact you later on.

This is the situation:
the bike was brought to the KTM workshop 21:st of May, the day after the krasch. Since then no one has touched it. The workshop will have a look at it this week, most likely, and then give the 'offer' to repair it to the insurane company.
IF telling that a new fuel tank is needed, it will be a matt black one, I don't want that. The alternative is to fix the tank using body filler and paint it in gloss black. That will be much cheaper than to get a new tank! The tank in Sweden costs 12095 SEK (about 1073 GBP, 1400 USD).

So I will have to sit and wait for a call from the insurance company, who will tell that they accept the cost for repair, or they woun't. If not, I'll have to start a discussion with them, and see what I can do. Maybe i can keep the bike and they give me some money for me to repair if by myself. I don't know.
-

Yes Blakey, I'm really trying to make my foot do some small movements although it is almost still blue and very much swollen. But to do excersices during this period of time WILL help it to heal faster and in a better way. The physiotherapist told me 'You can't brake anything in that foot at this stage, because you don't have enough muscles to do so, so excersice it as much as you can!' Amen

/M

thebomby
125cc
125cc
City: Zürich

Post by thebomby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:21 am

Possibly think about getting axle and frame sliders/crash bars?

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:46 pm

Hi all

Today 1:st of November I picked up the bike at the workshop - for where it has been situated the last 5 months...
(I told them early in June that there is no hurry to get the bike ready, due to my fractures at the lower right leg and shoulder problem and 'finger failure')

Anyhow I'm able to walk and do bicycling at moderate speed. Rehab at home every day and at the gym 2 times a week. Can't work yet though.

The bike is more beautiful today than earlier this spring 8-)

I rode it to the inspection company and it passed the test without any comments :D

I had no problems to sit on the bike and drive it. Many others would say that one will get afraid of riding again after such a bad crash. But it was nice to feel the power and raise the front wheel at some moment's :lol:

And honestly - I wount ride motorcycle on public roads any more. It is to dangerous.

/M

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:47 am

Good to hear MW :)

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Colour: White

Post by eagle_awd » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Great to see your recovery is making good progress...keep it up :) !!!