Clogan
500cc
500cc
City: Harrison
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Easiest tire change ever!

Post by Clogan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:13 pm

Wore out my OEM rear tire in 4200 miles, so I installed another Angel GT today. I had not changed a tire on the SDGT before, so I didn't know what to expect. Turned out to be the easiest tire change ever. Two bolts to remove the muffler, then used my impact wrench to loosen the 60 mm nut. Wheel came right off. It was nice not having to deal with axle bolts, chain or brakes.

The old Angel came right off the wheel, and the new Angel went on just as easily. I use a Harbor Freight m/c tire changer with a Mojo bar. I use Murphy's Oil Soap as tire lube. Borrowed a GBMF torque wrench from the local O'REILLY'S, torqued the nut back to 185.

I had no way to balance the wheel, but with the valve stem lined up with the dot on the tire, it was as smooth as silk up to 85mph. I need more highway, and less traffic, to test it further

Overall, the SDGT rear tire change was a piece of cake!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Re: Easiest tire change ever!

Post by jjscsix » Wed Apr 18, 2018 1:53 am

I haven't actually done the tire change my self in many years. But I do take them off the bike and haul them to the dealer. All three of my bikes now have single sided swing arms, and I could not agree more. My other two bikes don't even need a muffler taken off.

Thanks for the post.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

jfink
500cc
500cc
City: Conroe

Re: Easiest tire change ever!

Post by jfink » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:57 am

Because of my recent spat of bad luck, in the last three months, I have had to change the rear tire on the SDGT (flat), both tires on the BMW GTL (front worn and rear flat), both on the Goldwing (precautionary, going to Europe), and both on the KTM 990 Adventure (worn and wanted something more dirt oriented). I can tell you, the SD wheel removal and installation is probably the easiest of all of them. The local bike shop has internet competitive rates on tires and only charges $10 to change, so I have stopped doing the change myself, so these are all just wheel removal and installation.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing