Gear lever removal

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Gear lever removal

Post by Thirdway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:44 pm

I'm sure I posted about this at some point, but thought I would give another go. No dice, this thing appears to be virtually welded to the shift shaft. Pry bar, hammer screwdriver, rocking it back and forth. I've tried everything but it's almost as if it's part of the shaft itself. This is my second attempt to get it budged but it ain't having it, not a mm will it budge. Is there a gear lever puller tool, or has anyone fabricated something to get it free ?

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Year: 2013

Re: Gear lever removal

Post by Winterwolf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:01 pm

Strange.... I adjusted mine last month.... Slid straight off with no issues.

Have you tried a bit of heat?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:28 pm

If you can´t get it loose, then you have to cut a slice in the material. Split it that is.
Use a cutting blad for metal and use as a saw, along the axle/shaft. Then push in a screwdriver and wiggle a bit. If not come loose I don´t know.

/M

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:50 pm

That would mean junking the shaft. I read someone used a wiper puller after stripping the bike of the gearbox sprocket and chain. Can't really get any heat on it without damaging wiring/sensors. It's mounted similar to a cycle crank arm, but with a cycle there is a tool to pull the thing off its splines.

Another one for the dealer to sort alongside the clutch jet lubricator by the looks of things. Up on a ramp with a pulled its likely a bit easier, but grubbing around in my makeshift garage is more like the writhing of a contortionist.

Cleaned up the brakes today. Another faff on at the rear- only manufacturer that requires the entire back wheel to be removed to clean the caliper where everyone else uses a couple of bolts. I also adjusted the brake lever height-another idiotic design that other manufacturers make easy but KTM tries it's best to make difficult.
Last edited by Thirdway on Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 4:52 pm

Winterwolf wrote:Strange.... I adjusted mine last month.... Slid straight off with no issues.

Wish people would stop saying that, it makes me feel like it should, but it won't, then I get mad as hell :cry:

Winterwolf
250cc
250cc
City: Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Year: 2013

Post by Winterwolf » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Lol don't blame you.... How much are gear levers?.... Worth carefully cutting it open off the shaft?... Then just replacing it once off?.. I wouldn't fancy using a puller on it in case I damaged something

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:08 pm

Winterwolf wrote:Lol don't blame you.... How much are gear levers?.... Worth carefully cutting it open off the shaft?... Then just replacing it once off?.. I wouldn't fancy using a puller on it in case I damaged something

A puller applied to the lever should work, but They aren't cheap if I don't want to remove the sprocket and chain. The dealer will take a few minutes to get it off and will do so without knackering something. I was bashing it from the back with a piece of rod-I thought better of going crazy or I'm likely to damage the gear selector. I'm not going to cut it off I will watch the mechanic and see how he copes-he took out a mangled steering head bolt on the Ducati, so this won't present him with any more of a challenge than that.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:19 pm

Thirdway wrote:That would mean junking the shaft.
I also adjusted the gear lever height-another idiotic design that other manufacturers make easy but KTM tries it's best to make difficult.
-

Yes, you have to damage the gear shifter lever.
No, it´s not nescessary to damage the shaft/axle. Just cut the gear lever until it almost gets through. Then hit it with screwdriver and hammer or similar. It should get loose.

Sorry, I´m not following. Did you finally get the gear shifter loose?! You wrote that you adjusted the hight of the gear lever?

/M

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:38 pm

Ha no, I meant back brake, got gear levers on the brain. Might be worth looking at the cost of wrecking the gear lever.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:13 am

Ha! OK, I see. Sometimes things got stucked on the brain too ;)

Yes, I think you have to replace the gear shifter lever anyway. At KTM shop in Sweden the cost is 1040 SEK (about 87 GBP).
Just a thought: could it be possible to drill a couple of small holes from underneath and spray like CRC 5-56 to make things come loose?

/M

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:08 pm

Magic Wand wrote:Ha! OK, I see. Sometimes things got stucked on the brain too ;)

Yes, I think you have to replace the gear shifter lever anyway. At KTM shop in Sweden the cost is 1040 SEK (about 87 GBP).
Just a thought: could it be possible to drill a couple of small holes from underneath and spray like CRC 5-56 to make things come loose?

/M
Yes, the cost is about the same here. Big too much for a replacement lever. I might get one from a scrapped bike for less, or perhaps fit something blingy as the lever looks similar to their mx range of bikes for which you can buy some tasty adjustable levers for around £30.

I reckon the dealer will get it off no problem.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:03 am

How did it go with the gear lever?!

/M

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 pm

Magic Wand wrote:How did it go with the gear lever?!

/M
I'm just going to live with it. One thing that had decided the need for moving it was clonking/false neutrals-but I changed my own oil and put in motul 10-50 rather than the 15-50 the dealer used. The gear changes are now far sweeter.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:46 am

Happy Solstice everybody :). Some $10AUD battery pullers from Supercheap Auto Parts worked a treat.
1.jpg
2.jpg
It turns out that the Loctite I used on the bolt when I adjusted it 5 years ago seeped into the shaft connection, and hence made the lever a c*** to remove. This time I used grease and will have faith in the double locking washers supplied :)