Kev2 2017 1290 mod list

yohammer
250cc
250cc
City: utrecht
Year: 2014

Re: Kev2 2017 1290 mod list

Post by yohammer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:42 pm

I took the wires off again but the failure was still there.

yohammer
250cc
250cc

Post by yohammer » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:47 pm

I don't know if the heating grips will work,but I took the wires off but still the warning.
But the dealer have to deactivate the software for the heating grips,that was not necessary for the 2014 bike.

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Post by Bagsweat » Fri May 05, 2017 6:30 pm

kevxtx wrote:The new bike is so much better compared to my 2014 model BUT I can tell you KTM you need to do something with the keyless ignition it is useless, it is so hit & miss in finding the key to turn the ignition on, have separated the keys so it does see both keys & have no other transponder keys on me, you have to hold the key above the tank because it cant see it in your pocket, then takes a couple of pushes of the key on button to get the dash on come on, KTM what is this?

I can see my first mods will be to get rid of the keyless system because this will drive anyone around the bend taking a few goes just to get the dash on.
I've got zero issues with the fob/keyless system. Works like a charm. In my pocket with another fob for my front door + garage opener. I suggest you change the battery or take it back and let the dealer work it out.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Sat May 06, 2017 12:04 am

Bagsweat wrote:
kevxtx wrote:The new bike is so much better compared to my 2014 model BUT I can tell you KTM you need to do something with the keyless ignition it is useless, it is so hit & miss in finding the key to turn the ignition on, have separated the keys so it does see both keys & have no other transponder keys on me, you have to hold the key above the tank because it cant see it in your pocket, then takes a couple of pushes of the key on button to get the dash on come on, KTM what is this?

I can see my first mods will be to get rid of the keyless system because this will drive anyone around the bend taking a few goes just to get the dash on.
I've got zero issues with the fob/keyless system. Works like a charm. In my pocket with another fob for my front door + garage opener. I suggest you change the battery or take it back and let the dealer work it out.
It's been back to the dealer 3 times in the first week of owning it, the bike has over 3000kms on it in one week so I think the main battery is well charged, battery replaced in the key, keys rematch to the immobilizer, no faults logged the mechanic sent a video to KTM of the dash saying cant see key while riding never when starting, they have ordered a new fob from overseas, I am sure they will sort it.

5150 Pops
Supporter
Supporter
City: NORTH CHESTERFIELD
Year: 2015

Post by 5150 Pops » Sun May 07, 2017 1:03 am

yohammer wrote:You could be right,on both cylinders is one
They are the new resonance chambers, for 2017.

Funny how I was flamed about the idea that dealer activation MIGHT be required for certain add-on OEM accessories, and now an owner of a new 2017 has confirmed it to be the case.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc
City: Sydney
Year: 2016

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun May 07, 2017 1:22 am

5150 Pops wrote:Funny how I was flamed about the idea that dealer activation MIGHT be required for certain add-on OEM accessories, and now an owner of a new 2017 has confirmed it to be the case.
Where's that little troll now?
Oh, I'm right here...
And I've read back through the thread, and can't see how your quote is any proof of anything at all, let alone the requirement for dealer activation of accessories. Can you show me a post where someone said that all their problems disappeared after the dealer "activated" their LED flashers?

Funny timing on your post too - it's mere minutes since I showed you up in the "not going into second" thread...

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 am

But regardless of that interruption, back to the topic at hand...
kevxtx wrote:It's been back to the dealer 3 times in the first week of owning it, the bike has over 3000kms on it in one week so I think the main battery is well charged, battery replaced in the key, keys rematch to the immobilizer, no faults logged the mechanic sent a video to KTM of the dash saying cant see key while riding never when starting, they have ordered a new fob from overseas, I am sure they will sort it.
KTM-specifics aside, I'd have thought the dealer would be able to fairly simply swap your fob with any other bike in the shop, as a quick test; it sucks you have to wait for that...
Just a quick clarification though: are you saying that it only happens when you're trying to start the bike? I thought I'd seen mention of it happening on the roll too...

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 07, 2017 4:53 am

The keys are vin encoded at the factory so cant be swapped with another bike, I did recommend to swap over the read coils first but they are working off instructions from KTM.

In the beginning the bike would not see the key at start up, that changed when they replaced the battery in the fob, now it really only shows up when riding a message pops on the dash key not found but the bike carries on with no ride ability problems.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun May 07, 2017 5:25 am

kevxtx wrote:The keys are vin encoded at the factory so cant be swapped with another bike, I did recommend to swap over the read coils first but they are working off instructions from KTM.
I get that it's new tech and the factory want to be on top of it all, but that's just shitty management and a bit of disregard for customers imo - most (if not all?) of the car mobs allow the dealers to manage keys...
kevxtx wrote:In the beginning the bike would not see the key at start up, that changed when they replaced the battery in the fob, now it really only shows up when riding a message pops on the dash key not found but the bike carries on with no ride ability problems.
Now it's getting weird - the transmit power (and therefore power requirement) is so low in the fobs that even an almost-dead one should register if you're sitting on the bike already. (I had a 14yo Hyundai Sonata once, and you practically had to hold it up to the glass in the end, but it still worked...).
It's entirely possible though, I guess, that it could be as simple as a dry joint in the fob, and replacing the battery coincidentally pressed the connection together enough that only vibration when you're moving breaks it. I'm just guessing here, but in that case I would suspect that once it loses connection, it will ignore the reconnection until you cycle power.

Not very helpful I know, but I still think a new fob will fix it, even if it's shitty that you have to wait.

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Sun May 07, 2017 5:51 am

Does the bike only come with one normal battery operated radio key, and the one that is a passive backup only? Or are both keys battery powered?

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc
City: Gold Coast

Post by Adoligy69 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:15 am

kevxtx wrote:The keys are vin encoded at the factory so cant be swapped with another bike, I did recommend to swap over the read coils first but they are working off instructions from KTM.

In the beginning the bike would not see the key at start up, that changed when they replaced the battery in the fob, now it really only shows up when riding a message pops on the dash key not found but the bike carries on with no ride ability problems.
Mine has done the same thing about 3 times ...while riding ....i just hit the return button ..and it goes back to the main screen at least ....till i stop and turn it off ....at least the bike still starts again and runs as normal ...teething problems ...

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 07, 2017 8:01 am

Adoligy69 wrote:

Mine has done the same thing about 3 times ...while riding ....i just hit the return button ..and it goes back to the main screen at least ....till i stop and turn it off ....at least the bike still starts again and runs as normal ...teething problems ...
Exactly the same as yours, page back the warning is gone, I am sure they will sort the problem, get onto your dealer so they know there is a second one in Oz.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 am

NiteKreeper wrote:
I get that it's new tech and the factory want to be on top of it all, but that's just shitty management and a bit of disregard for customers imo - most (if not all?) of the car mobs allow the dealers to manage keys...
kevxtx wrote:In the beginning the bike would not see the key at start up, that changed when they replaced the battery in the fob, now it really only shows up when riding a message pops on the dash key not found but the bike carries on with no ride ability problems.
Now it's getting weird - the transmit power (and therefore power requirement) is so low in the fobs that even an almost-dead one should register if you're sitting on the bike already. (I had a 14yo Hyundai Sonata once, and you practically had to hold it up to the glass in the end, but it still worked...).
It's entirely possible though, I guess, that it could be as simple as a dry joint in the fob, and replacing the battery coincidentally pressed the connection together enough that only vibration when you're moving breaks it. I'm just guessing here, but in that case I would suspect that once it loses connection, it will ignore the reconnection until you cycle power.

Not very helpful I know, but I still think a new fob will fix it, even if it's shitty that you have to wait.
Thanks for your input. Most euro immobilizer keys are vin encoded these days, they are even incorporating the gearbox ECU & a few others into the immobilizer equation to start the car, the mileage is now stored in the central electric's + ABS + Dash + Engine ECU's.

NiteKreeper
900cc
900cc

Post by NiteKreeper » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 am

kevxtx wrote:Most euro immobilizer keys are vin encoded these days
That's as may be, but I still don't see why the dealers can't be given access to the equipment/software to re-encode them.
kevxtx wrote:they are even incorporating the gearbox ECU & a few others into the immobilizer equation to start the car, the mileage is now stored in the central electric's + ABS + Dash + Engine ECU's.
Understandable and all good - just part of the arms race between factories and those who would like to make your bike disappear in the dead of night...

Adoligy69
250cc
250cc
City: Gold Coast

Post by Adoligy69 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:39 pm

kevxtx wrote:
Adoligy69 wrote:

Exactly the same as yours, page back the warning is gone, I am sure they will sort the problem, get onto your dealer so they know there is a second one in Oz.
Yeah i have let them know ...and they seemed to already know about the issue ....

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Sun May 07, 2017 9:15 pm

I would think the keys are all the same worldwide, the keys were rematched to the immobilizer but thet did not work.

Working with this type of thing in my every day job, using the electronic diagnostic equipment at work we can see read coil strength by electronically measuring the voltage while the coil is running, we can see when the key comes into range & which number key is been measured, we can see electro magnetic interference at the read coil, all the measuring values are taken from within the ECU.

KTM don't have this system of diagnostics to measure the read coil or see key range, the questions were asked & they said no they cant measure them. Not to bothered at the moment as the bike runs just keeps throwing up the dash fault cant see the key & you have to page back on the dash so you can see the speedo, key on the way from KTM we will see what happens when it arrives.

Freude am Fahren
500cc
500cc
City: Miami
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Freude am Fahren » Sun May 07, 2017 10:59 pm

Well, one thing that could be different is the frequencies, since KTM has to go by local (usually by country, but the EU is probably unified) radio guidelines (FEC in the US), so there could be some faulty programming for a certain region in regards to frequencies?

Just a thought.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon May 08, 2017 8:59 am

Quite possible, would need to check the key part numbers between the countries.

yohammer
250cc
250cc

Post by yohammer » Mon May 08, 2017 5:31 pm

For anyone who is interested,the yellow engine warning light went off.
There came a warning in the display for low fuel when I was driving I reseted the warning with the buttons and suddenly the engine warning light went off. Strange but I'm happy...

yohammer
250cc
250cc

Post by yohammer » Mon May 08, 2017 9:18 pm

I can take a picture from my ecu tomorrow .Europe one