Soft panniers retaining pin

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
JB8
125cc
125cc
City: Chester
Year: 2012

Soft panniers retaining pin

Post by JB8 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:53 pm

Any help really appreciated.

The retaining pin for my left pannier fell out on my last ride and I can not find a spare for love nor money!

Does anybody know where I might be able to find one? Or even the part number (I can't even find this)

Thanks in advance for any help!

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California
Year: 2014

Re: Soft panniers retaining pin

Post by Bootworks » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:40 pm

JB8, are you speaking of the spring loaded retainers for the stock sidebags? I don't believe those are sold separately

I may have a couple of spares. Please PM me a shipping address to the U.K. and I'll post one to you. Kev has been so generous to me (to all of us), time to put a little bit back. All I ask is that you 'pay it forward' as well.

JB8
125cc
125cc

Post by JB8 » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:20 pm

Hi Bootworks,

Sorry for late reply, Work has had me by the neck.

My local KTM dealer called and said that they had found one (cost £27 inc postage, so wishing I'd seen your post first :) )

Thank you for the very kind offer though.

Cheers

James

CatDaddysBBQ
125cc
125cc
City: North Aurora
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Fri May 20, 2016 3:15 pm

So, I just bought a used SMT this week.
The luggage pin setup is a mess, and I need a bit of help.

Neither side has the pin. There is a hollowed out bolt and a nut that goes into the factory hanging area (where the pin is supposed to be). From what I can tell, these are the existing hardware that it's supposed to have. But now, the bolt is threaded in far enough that it holds the bags in place, but has no Quick-release functionality. I can use a 10mm to loosen and remove quite quickly, but would prefer getting it back to the original spring pin setup.

Now, in one bag, I did see a loose OEM pin and spring, but since i've never seen a normal setup, I can't figure out exactly how to assemble to make it work. The pin has the plastic black knob, and at the other end there is a cap of sorts. I can see that the spring COULD go in between, but is too small to slip over the "cap" and obviously the knob is too large. I think the knob could come off to re-assemble, but I don't want to force it and snap it off. With the cap on, the pin won't go through the hollow bolt.

If I could see a photo or schematic of how it's supposed to go together, i can figure it out but i've never seen a SMT in person aside from my own.

Also, I would need another pin for the other side, since there was just the single loose one with the bike when I bought it. Any help is appreciated.

elk3500
50cc
50cc
City: Copenhagen
Year: 2013

Post by elk3500 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:02 pm

Bootworks wrote:JB8, are you speaking of the spring loaded retainers for the stock sidebags? I don't believe those are sold separately

I may have a couple of spares. Please PM me a shipping address to the U.K. and I'll post one to you. Kev has been so generous to me (to all of us), time to put a little bit back. All I ask is that you 'pay it forward' as well.

Hi Bootworks

This also happened to me yesterday. I would very much like to take you up on the offer to ship a new pin. Just let me know how to pay you.

Cheers
Jesper
Denmark

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California

Post by Bootworks » Mon May 23, 2016 3:55 pm

Sorry fellows, I posted that two months ago. I've since given those away.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Mon May 23, 2016 8:54 pm

I think KTM has a key lock option/accessory that replaces this pin. Worth looking into.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

JB8
125cc
125cc

Post by JB8 » Mon May 23, 2016 9:57 pm

Hi Guys,

The locking kit is a different part to the retaining pin that comes as standard on the panniers. I got the part from:

http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk

I can't seem to find the part number though! The guy in the parts department was sound, really helpful! Will keep on looking to see if I can find the part number!

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc
City: Oakland
Model: Adventure

Post by Motoproponent » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:44 pm

I have ordered a replacement set of these before. I can't find them on any parts fiche but when my local shop (www.scuderiawest.com) opens up on Tuesday I'll see if they can look through my old invoices and find a part number.

I'll post back then.
If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

CatDaddysBBQ
125cc
125cc

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Motoproponent wrote:I have ordered a replacement set of these before. I can't find them on any parts fiche but when my local shop (http://www.scuderiawest.com) opens up on Tuesday I'll see if they can look through my old invoices and find a part number.

I'll post back then.
I would GREATLY appreciate it as well.

Motoproponent
250cc
250cc
City: Oakland
Model: Adventure

Post by Motoproponent » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:26 pm

The part number is 62012025035. Retaining Pin Assembly. They are sold individually. $27.99 USD from Scuderia.

I pumped that part number into google and came up with retailers in the UK and Germany. If you're in the SF Bay Area show some love to my local dude.

Thanks
If you ain't living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.

CatDaddysBBQ
125cc
125cc

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Motoproponent wrote:The part number is 62012025035. Retaining Pin Assembly. They are sold individually. $27.99 USD from Scuderia.

I pumped that part number into google and came up with retailers in the UK and Germany. If you're in the SF Bay Area show some love to my local dude.

Thanks

I got a hold of them, and am going to order a bit closer to spring. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter
City: Cullompton, Devon

Post by Hallstar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Has anyone tried this kit?

I was hoping it would provide the ability to lock the soft panniers to the bike, but looking at the picture it would seem that it only offers a way to keep the panniers closed utilising the padlocks.

https://www.trevorpopemotorcycles.co.uk ... 225ajr51p2
Speed is compulsory, Limits are optional

We're not Gods, we're Englishmen, the next best thing

Real men ride twins

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Post by jhalfhide » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:20 pm

Hallstar wrote:Has anyone tried this kit?

I was hoping it would provide the ability to lock the soft panniers to the bike, but looking at the picture it would seem that it only offers a way to keep the panniers closed utilising the padlocks.

I have it on mine. Basically a spring loaded locking pin similar to the standard one, only this one sits inside the panniers. Once the panniers are locked with the padlock, you cannot get access to the spring loaded bit, to pull it and detach them.

I've got padlocks with keys though, rather than the combination. The combination one is too simple for my liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:24 pm

jhalfhide wrote:
Hallstar wrote:Has anyone tried this kit?

I have it on mine. Basically a spring loaded locking pin similar to the standard one, only this one sits inside the panniers. Once the panniers are locked with the padlock, you cannot get access to the spring loaded bit, to pull it and detach them.

I've got padlocks with keys though, rather than the combination. The combination one is too simple for my liking.

Thanks for the reply.

Do you find them worthwhile?

So to remove the pannier, you have to enter the bag, get behind any luggage and release the pin?

Real men ride twins

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:32 pm

Hallstar wrote:
jhalfhide wrote:
"Hallstar" wrote:Has anyone tried this kit?

Thanks for the reply.

So to remove the pannier, you have to enter the bag, get behind any luggage and release the pin?

Exactly that. I've only used the panniers a few times but they are good. If I were parking up in a village and wanted a wander, I'd be paranoid about someone running off with the panniers. This way, I know they'll be fine. The pin sits right at the top of the pannier, so no need to dig around too much.

ImageImage

Hallstar
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Hallstar » Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:37 pm

jhalfhide wrote:
Hallstar wrote:
"jhalfhide" wrote: I have it on mine. Basically a spring loaded locking pin similar to the standard one, only this one sits inside the panniers. Once the panniers are locked with the padlock, you cannot get access to the spring loaded bit, to pull it and detach them.

Thanks for the reply.

Exactly that. I've only used the panniers a few times but they are good. If I were parking up in a village and wanted a wander, I'd be paranoid about someone running off with the panniers. This way, I know they'll be fine. The pin sits right at the top of the pannier, so no need to dig around too much.

[img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/7e77a929ba839e4dfe197df76bd27e54.jpg[/img][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170116/7d541d613544e5103a33b60ea4081647.jpg[/img]

Thanks for your help. Will get a set on order!

Real men ride twins

Qlan
125cc
125cc
City: Drammen
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Post by Qlan » Wed May 09, 2018 7:51 am

Hi guys!

I was just wondering if its possible to use the side bags without the passenger footpegs? Or do they need the extra connection to the bike to not flap around to much? Thanks! :)
´17 SDR Black
´18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro w/ Akra Race setup.

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc

Post by jhalfhide » Wed May 09, 2018 10:44 am

Qlan wrote:Hi guys!

I was just wondering if its possible to use the side bags without the passenger footpegs? Or do they need the extra connection to the bike to not flap around to much? Thanks! :)
Side bags have their own carrier and do not use the rear pegs in any way.

Qlan
125cc
125cc
City: Drammen
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Post by Qlan » Wed May 09, 2018 12:59 pm

Ah, perfect! So i just use the two connecting points on the frame then? Thought it needed a connection at the footpegs aswell, since theres a "Hook" there on the sidebags to connect to the footpegs (or footpeg-holder - i dont know the name :) ). Thanks, its better to ask someone who knows, rather than trying it and them falling off in the middle of the road!
´17 SDR Black
´18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro w/ Akra Race setup.