The never ending quest for a decent screen....

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011
Colour: White

The never ending quest for a decent screen....

Post by Muppet » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:28 pm

I think I've finally found it ;)

I'm 5' 8". I wear custom made ear plugs with in-ear speakers.

On my bike I have tried the following:

Standard screen - ok, but noisy and buffets. Not pleasant above 70mph.
Standard screen cut down - pretty much as above.
No screen - no buffeting at all, wind noise under helmet, very strong neck muscles needed above 70mph. Ok for hooning around the mountains, but a PITA when getting there.
Givi touring screen - better protection from wind blast, but still noisy, and still buffets. Ok, but not nice over long periods.
Givi touring screen with MRA extension thingy. - as plain touring screen, but still annoying buffeting and noisy. Still not pleasant over 75 mph, and makes my tinnitus worse.

I've just bought a Palmer Products large screen and mounting kit, from Iain Palmer:

http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/

HALLELUJAHPRAISETHELORDFUCKINGJESUSCHRISTITSAMIRACLE! :mrgreen: (I'm not religious by the way).

On my 160 mile journey home, all along the motorway on Saturday, I had the opportunity to try it on various settings to see if I could finally eradicate the murderous buffeting. I finally found that with teh screen at it's highest setting, but tilted back towards me as far as it would go, the buffeting is all but eradicated, although there is still some wind noise. So, that's smoothness, but a bit of noise, right up to an indicated 120mph (on private motorway type roads of course). Sitting at 80 - 85 is now a pleasure, rather than a chore. My head isn't constantly shaking around, and the noise levels are much reduced. Fanfuckingtastic! The top of the screen is no higher than on my Givi with MRA setup, but as it's angled back towards me more, and the screen has a slight curve to it, the air slips smoothly over me bonce and I'm a happy bunny.

There is one slight trade off though, the handlebar guards now foul slightly on the screen when at full lock, but only by a couple of centimetres. Not enough to be an issue, the SMT has a very tight lock anyway so I don't think it will hinder me in anyway, only noticeable in tight maneouvering.

The big bonus is that it takes the turn of 4 hand screws and about 10 seconds to adjust the screen, and I know that when I get to the mountains I can put it to its low setting, tilt it forward a bit and it won't foul and will be well out of sight line even when looking just ahead of my front wheel.

This is the second such setup I've had from Iain, the first one I have on my Buell Ulysses, but that was his first incarnation which doesn't quite have the same range of movement, and needs allen keys and spanner to do the adjusting. The new kit is all hand adjustable and has a bigger range of movement.

Iain is a great guy to deal with, extremely knowledgeable on all things bikes, and goes out of his way to ensure you're fully satisfied with his products. He's got a good range of gear, and will happily talk to you about custom and one off stuff I'm sure. The kit for my Buell, which I go from him in 2009, is still working fine and the screen has stood the test of time - it's very very good quality kit.

I'm in no way affiliated or connected to him, other than having been a satisfied customer before, and a very satisfied customer again. Have a look at his website, I'll post pictures up but probably not until I get the beast out again for my next tour in September (no time to ride unfortunately).
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

arg
500cc
500cc
City: Biggleswade
Year: 2010

Re: The never ending quest for a decent screen....

Post by arg » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:20 pm

Can u confirm your using a large screen as the website advises a medium screen for someone who is 6 foot?

Can you also see over the screen or do you have to look through it?

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Definitely a large screen, he had that and a medium fro me to try, and I took the large - which is the same as I have on my Buell.

In the position that's best for me, so highest position, but furthest tilt back, I'm looking over the screen for normal riding. It's no higher than my previous setup. The beauty is, it takes 10 seconds to lower it, so it's well out of eyeline for hooning around mountain roads.

smithers167
500cc
500cc
City: Bellingham
Year: 2012

Post by smithers167 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:08 am

I just tilted the stock screen back using a small piece of plumbers tape and removing the two front side screws. Works great. My stock screen is cut down too

eric
125cc
125cc
City: Sao Paulo
Year: 2015
Model: SMT

Post by eric » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:56 pm

hi everyone, i find the original windscreen too big and ugly. without anything ungly too. so i found this windscreen on google but cant find where to buy it. http://www.moto123.com/motorcycle-revie ... gid=840773
anyone knows?

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:21 pm

This is the stock screen...do you have the tall touring one?

eric
125cc
125cc
City: Sao Paulo
Year: 2015

Post by eric » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:29 pm

xaotikos wrote:This is the stock screen...do you have the tall touring one?
yes, i got the tall one. I taught it was the original one :shock:

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City

Post by Sweetwater » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:00 pm

Anyone got experiences with the PUIG screen?
I thought I got the info on it here but can not find it now.
Screen looks like this:

jmh
125cc
125cc
City: cambridge

Post by jmh » Sat Dec 26, 2015 4:49 pm

Anyone on here 6ft? And found a decent screen?

I've got the standard screen, which is fine enough, as long as I want to tuck in. Once I'm moving along the in 6th, unless I tuck down it's terrible, real buffty.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Dec 26, 2015 8:36 pm

Sweetwater:

I´m 187 cm in hight.
The turbulence is really terrible with original screen.

I have bought the PUIG screen (http://www.bs-motoparts.com/en/wind-pro ... 4403-0.htm), which is 17 cm higher than the original. Quite alot!

There is still turbulence but much better with PUIG screen compared with original!
Remember that also mirrors and hand gards does affect the turbulence you experience.

The look is not nicer with higher screen, but that´s up to every and one to "judge" :-)

jmh
125cc
125cc

Post by jmh » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:17 am

Is anyone using the Palmer Products screen?

Any feedback.

It seems good, but at £150, not cheap to try. Though I guess could be returned under distance selling regs.

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:40 pm

jmh wrote:Is anyone using the Palmer Products screen?

Any feedback.

It seems good, but at £150, not cheap to try. Though I guess could be returned under distance selling regs.
Mate, did you not read my first post that opened this thread? All the feedback you need is there, not only about my SMT but my Buell experience as well (albeit a brief one on that).

If you have read it, then you'll know my thoughts, and I would say absolutely try it. No, not cheap, but worth it. And you're not exactly far away from him, I'm sure he'd be amenable to you going down and seeing them in the flesh for yourself before you go ahead. He's a pleasure to deal with, and is never pushy for the sale.

jmh
125cc
125cc

Post by jmh » Wed Jan 13, 2016 3:44 pm

Yes, I did read. I meant anyone else got an opinion. As n = 1 is a small sample to spend £150 on!

I ordered one anyway, hopefully it's good.

jmh
125cc
125cc

Post by jmh » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:20 pm

Got the palmer.

First ride it was horrible, super buffeting, but little wind noise.

Moved it so it's titled towards rider as much as possible, 100 times better, no buffeting.

Was riding back roads 2nd ride, so no sustained speed. But even cruising along at 60mph there was no buffeting and no wind noise.

Seems worth the money. Will do a motorway ride soon, that'll be the test. I want to be able to cruise at a fair speed without getting blown away or buffeted.

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:39 pm

jmh wrote:Got the palmer.

First ride it was horrible, super buffeting, but little wind noise.

Moved it so it's titled towards rider as much as possible, 100 times better, no buffeting.

Was riding back roads 2nd ride, so no sustained speed. But even cruising along at 60mph there was no buffeting and no wind noise.

Seems worth the money. Will do a motorway ride soon, that'll be the test. I want to be able to cruise at a fair speed without getting blown away or buffeted.
Exactly the position I have it in, as I described. Highest and furthest tilt seems to be the sweet spot.

Told you so..... :ugeek: :mrgreen:

Broccers
50cc
50cc
City: Sheffield
Year: 2013

Post by Broccers » Fri Jan 29, 2016 5:46 pm

I've the standard KTM touring screen and think its ok to be honest - compared to the double bubble on my gsxr anyway.

Goose
125cc
125cc
City: Brighton
Year: 2009

Post by Goose » Mon May 21, 2018 3:49 pm

Muppet wrote:I think I've finally found it ;)

I'm 5' 8". I wear custom made ear plugs with in-ear speakers.

On my bike I have tried the following:

Standard screen - ok, but noisy and buffets. Not pleasant above 70mph.
Standard screen cut down - pretty much as above.
No screen - no buffeting at all, wind noise under helmet, very strong neck muscles needed above 70mph. Ok for hooning around the mountains, but a PITA when getting there.
Givi touring screen - better protection from wind blast, but still noisy, and still buffets. Ok, but not nice over long periods.
Givi touring screen with MRA extension thingy. - as plain touring screen, but still annoying buffeting and noisy. Still not pleasant over 75 mph, and makes my tinnitus worse.

I've just bought a Palmer Products large screen and mounting kit, from Iain Palmer:

http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/

HALLELUJAHPRAISETHELORDFUCKINGJESUSCHRISTITSAMIRACLE! :mrgreen: (I'm not religious by the way).

On my 160 mile journey home, all along the motorway on Saturday, I had the opportunity to try it on various settings to see if I could finally eradicate the murderous buffeting. I finally found that with teh screen at it's highest setting, but tilted back towards me as far as it would go, the buffeting is all but eradicated, although there is still some wind noise. So, that's smoothness, but a bit of noise, right up to an indicated 120mph (on private motorway type roads of course). Sitting at 80 - 85 is now a pleasure, rather than a chore. My head isn't constantly shaking around, and the noise levels are much reduced. Fanfuckingtastic! The top of the screen is no higher than on my Givi with MRA setup, but as it's angled back towards me more, and the screen has a slight curve to it, the air slips smoothly over me bonce and I'm a happy bunny.

There is one slight trade off though, the handlebar guards now foul slightly on the screen when at full lock, but only by a couple of centimetres. Not enough to be an issue, the SMT has a very tight lock anyway so I don't think it will hinder me in anyway, only noticeable in tight maneouvering.

The big bonus is that it takes the turn of 4 hand screws and about 10 seconds to adjust the screen, and I know that when I get to the mountains I can put it to its low setting, tilt it forward a bit and it won't foul and will be well out of sight line even when looking just ahead of my front wheel.

This is the second such setup I've had from Iain, the first one I have on my Buell Ulysses, but that was his first incarnation which doesn't quite have the same range of movement, and needs allen keys and spanner to do the adjusting. The new kit is all hand adjustable and has a bigger range of movement.

Iain is a great guy to deal with, extremely knowledgeable on all things bikes, and goes out of his way to ensure you're fully satisfied with his products. He's got a good range of gear, and will happily talk to you about custom and one off stuff I'm sure. The kit for my Buell, which I go from him in 2009, is still working fine and the screen has stood the test of time - it's very very good quality kit.

I'm in no way affiliated or connected to him, other than having been a satisfied customer before, and a very satisfied customer again. Have a look at his website, I'll post pictures up but probably not until I get the beast out again for my next tour in September (no time to ride unfortunately).

Hi
Are you going to use the cut down screen again... if not are you interested in selling it.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C4mun
50cc
50cc
City: St Albans
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Post by C4mun » Thu May 31, 2018 3:02 pm

Just bought a Super duke GT and determined to get a better screen. Have tried a smaller screen with no success so won’t bother cutting my standard one.
Previous experience on a Ducati Multistrada fixed just by changing the angle. Also a Madstad on a Triumph Tiger 800 almost allowed me to tour without earplugs.
Will come back when I produce some spacers and longer bolts