Electrical connectors

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Electrical connectors

Post by Zombie Master » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:38 am

I'm doing the 30K service on my 2013 990 SMT. Can anyone suggest where to look up the connectors to find out how to separate them without damaging them? There is no description in the service manual and I've not seen some of them before. Thanx

still
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Re: Electrical connectors

Post by still » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:27 am

All the connectors I replaced I had no issue with tbh. Maybe you can take out the terminals from one side out of the housing then use pliers? If you don't have the terminal tools an assorted set is dirt cheap on ebay

Alternatively try a liberal amount of CRC if there is a little play between the male/female connectors

Lastly, the connectors KTM used aren't the greatest, if there is enough cable length, can always clip off the wires at the base and replace with a Deutsch set (label wires before doing this so you know the order!!!)

Zombie Master
Supporter
Supporter
City: Victoria
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Zombie Master » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:30 am

Thanx for your reply!
The one I was stuck on was the FI grey connection block. It wouldn't come apart, but finally I was able to slip a points feeler gauge into the slot where the locking tab clicks in. AT this point I knew the tab was out of the locked position. This gave me the confidence to pull harder on the male part of the connection block. I had sprayed WD40 and blew out the block as well. It finally came apart without any major damage, just a few marks from the medium water pump pliers. PIA! :roll:

still
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Post by still » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:20 am

Glad you got it sorted!
Speaking of connectors, had the headlight stop working on me a couple of months ago. Disassembled the front cowl thing and found the h4 connector completely corroded away. As I couldn't find a somewhat sealed variant, ended up using a ton of black silicone to form a seal on the back of one. Figures crossed it holds for a few more years.