Handle bars slightly turned when riding

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Handle bars slightly turned when riding

Post by limeyduffa » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:48 pm

Got a small teething problem with me SMT. I only noticed it yesterday. When I ride along, the handle bars are not true. They are turned slightly. The right hand is slightly further and my left hand is slightly closer. It's only out a little bit, but it's there.

Anybody else have/had this problem ?

Too many wheelies ? 8-)

I'm going up to my parent's farm on the weekend, jack the front up with a block/tackle (and tractor !), and loosen/reset the triple clamp to see if that's the issue.

Grim Reaper
125cc
125cc
City: South Essex
Year: 2010
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Re: Handle bars slightly turned when riding

Post by Grim Reaper » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:19 pm

I did feel the same with my old 640. If you loosen the clamps and it doesn't fix the problem there is a very easy way of checking the bars. Take them off the bike (Probably 10 or 15 minutes work with all the bits and handguards if you have them) and lay them of a flat surface, plate glass or kitchen worktops is a good start. The Yoke and both ends should all be touching at the same time. If they are not then the bars are bent. If they do then you need to get the front end jacked up. loosen the triple clamps and do a schoolboy fix. Put the front wheel between the legs and twist very small amonts and then tighten and ride and try......might take a couple of goes but in the old days that's how we did it.......and it worked on my 640. Bars turned out to be slightly out.