Driving me insane

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
CatDaddysBBQ
250cc
250cc
City: Warrenville, IL
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Driving me insane

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Last fall I had a clutch failure while on a short road trip. I turned around, hopped on the interstate (so I wouldn't have to shift more than 5-6 times over 100miles) and bee-lined it home. It turned out to be the ever-so-common Clutch Slave failure. IT was the end of the season in Chicago so I parked it, did some research here and ordered an oberon replacement (with backing plate) over the winter and installed it last spring (6mo ago).

Install was simple, bleeding was easy and the bike worked flawlessly after a quick 20min fix with a new (seemingly superior) part.

BUT

This thing won't stop leaking. As in - there's a puddle under the bike every time I park it. Not huge - it doesn't leave a pond and it doesn't really seem to lessen the amount of mineral oil in the master cylinder that much (oil does have a tendency to look like a lot more volume than it really is). I have removed it, looked for any sign of incorrect installation (it's really simple obviously), and re-installed. Still leaks. It's driving me nuts. The bike works perfectly - the clutch feels great, and aside from the puddle on the floor everything is terrific.

I have no problem fixing/replacing things that are broken - but that's just it. There isn't anything "wrong" with it, it just doesn't work.

With all the accolade that the oberon gets as the magic bullet fix for this common issue with the OEM slave, I find it hard to believe that I just got a bad one. But the install is simple and I have very little thought that I did anything incorrect, since again, it's easy and straightforward.

Has ANYBODY had a similar story with their oberon slave? Is it possible i got a bad one? And how would I know? I'm reluctant to order another one for 150 bucks more.

Any insight is appreciated.

CatDaddysBBQ
250cc
250cc

Re: Driving me insane

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Is it possible I have a leak on the output shaft seal of the engine and not the clutch?

It would be EXTREMELY coincidental that the slave would go out at the same time, but i'm starting to suspect the problem is nearby but not what i've been looking at.

CatDaddysBBQ
250cc
250cc

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Just saw a thread about a gear position sensor seal that seems similar to the issue i'm having. Again really coincidental that it'd go out the same time my clutch slave went out, but the symptoms seem similar.

I'll check it out, but if anybody has insight, please share.

still
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Post by still » Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:21 pm

I had both the countershaft and gear position sensor seal/gasket leaks at the same time at 43k KMs so it does happen.

CatDaddysBBQ
250cc
250cc

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:37 pm

Oh man, I JUST did the gear indicator seal last weekend, and I THINK it's not fixed - I wish I had seen this, i'd have swapped both, since it looks like I have to do the other one now, haha. Oh well, I got a long winter "off season" to work on it.

Thanks for the help!

still
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Post by still » Sat Nov 23, 2019 3:29 pm

It's not a difficult job to do so no worries.
Btw, is the leak engine or mineral oil? If the latter, are you sure it's not the banjo bolt being under/over torqued?

CatDaddysBBQ
250cc
250cc

Post by CatDaddysBBQ » Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:06 pm

It's not the slave - When I put it back together after doing the gear position indicator seal, I left the slave off, and put it in a baggie off to the side so If it kept leaking oil i'd know that wasn't a possible source.

Good idea though, all help appreciated.