lausie
50cc
50cc
City: London
Year: 2016
Colour: White

2016 SDR SE - warped discs for the 2nd time

Post by lausie » Mon Aug 12, 2019 8:06 pm

Hi guys, I'm new around here, although have been a lurker for some time.

Bought a 1290 Superduke R Special Edition, new, back in Sept 2016.

I reported juddery front brakes at the 9300 mile service in July 2017. I was told the discs were warped and that it was a fairly common issue with the wavy discs. They were replaced (with new pads) under warranty. Great stuff.

Fast forward to today, it's in for the annual service and first MOT. The bike is now at 16,000 miles. It failed the MOT. It failed on the basis that the front discs were warped ("brake indicates excessive fluctuation of brake effort Front [1.2.1(e)]").

These discs have done just under 7,000 miles. The first set just over 9300.

I'm out of warranty, so have been told its a £580 +labour bill for OEM replacements. Annoyed is an understatement!

Bought and serviced at Laguna Motorcycles in Maidstone, Kent.

They acknowledged they'd only replaced the discs in 2017, but told me they'd be likely to get nowhere if they ask KTM to replace them again, outside of warranty, and suggested I send them an email (which I've done). For ref, I'd done next to no miles in 2018 as I'd torn a tendon in my throttle hand and couldn't ride for the best part of the year.

Few things:-

- I really want this issue investigated. I've read a few posts about filing down casing defects that has resolved the issue, and whilst I could do that at home, I'm inclined to have a KTM service centre do it, and use it as a basis to argue to replacement cost. Am I being reasonable? I don't want to put new discs on, only to have to do it again next year too!

- Has anyone else had a 2nd set warp on them?

- Has anyone had any luck pursuing an issue beyond the initial 2 year warranty?

Any advice/guidance is greatly appreciated!

Striff
250cc
250cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: 2016 SDR SE - warped discs for the 2nd time

Post by Striff » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:46 pm

I've got a 2017 SDR.

2nd set of wavey discs replaced under warranty.

Les then a year later I can feel the brakes once again starting to pulsate.

I've also had the casing filed smooth, so doubt or will be that.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

lausie
50cc
50cc
City: London
Year: 2016
Colour: White

Post by lausie » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:48 pm

Update:-

I decided to pop to a Motorcyle MOT center for a second opinion. The chap was great, had the bike on the rollers in front of me, and ran the test a few times.

It showed that there was a fluctuation, but in his opinion it was only very slight. I can't remember what the unit measurement is (grams/kg?) but he told me that he would consider a fluctuation excessive if it is around the 70-100 mark. Mine was reading at 10-20 (up to two little green lights flickering). I can't feel any pulsing through the lever (I could when the last discs were warped), so I'm happy with that analysis.

He was more than happy to pass the bike, only to notice that Laguna had cocked up the mileage entry on their fail test :roll:.

Needless to say, I'm currently awaiting a call back from Laguna as I'd like an explanation.

Incidentally, I've had an email back from KTM today who have suggested I book the bike in with a KTM authorised dealer and let them know which one, and they'll take it from there. Now just to decide whether its worth the agro...

Edje
125cc
125cc
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2019
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Edje » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

The problem is disc thickness variation, caused by the warped discs in the first time. I suspect this is caused by not being flat of the mounting lugs of the discs. Because of that the disc is not wearing even, and develops the disc thickness variation which is felt in the brake lever. If you don’t have the pulsing feeling under hard braking it is probably only a warped disc. They can be “flattened” to avoid the disc thickness variation over time.
I wrote some practical info on this matter on the ktmforum:
https://www.ktmforum.co.uk/showthread.p ... 51?page=11

WERAracer
125cc
125cc
City: Kennett Square
Year: 2017

Post by WERAracer » Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:49 am

Same experience on my ‘16 GT after out of warranty. Dealer gave me the “normal wear” not covered, but, I went to KTM North America with an explicit letter after being shot down by customer service. They were apparently impressed with my prose, as I got a direct call from KTM stating that they would honor my claim. My dealer was notified and shortly thereafter a set of Galfer and pads were installed! Whoopee, right. Now at 25,000 miles she seems to be reverting to the front brake pulsating. Another letter? Doubt it but in your case worth a try. Harp on brand loyalty, cost of the machine, negative feedback to prospective buyers. Worth a shot. Also worth hearing back. I may repeat the same scenario!

pk1
675cc
675cc
City: perth
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by pk1 » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:46 am

I’ve had mine warp on my gt 7k miles ,dealer ordered discs but when he went to fit them he said the front wheel carrier holes where slightly out of line, which caused the discs to warp so has ordered me a new wheel under warranty!
Said he had come across a couple the same already? I’m thinking there must be a whole production run like this?
Poss why yours has warped again?
Cheers

Edje
125cc
125cc
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2019
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Edje » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:43 am

How many miles did you do with the Galfers before they were warped again?