250cc
City: Metro NY
Year: 2018

Re: Dash blanked out after stall and restart

Post by Rock » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:59 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:20 pm
Just had a thought bubble.. :o .... happens a lot at my age.... :lol:

Over on the Caponord 1200 & RSV4 forums they are talking about dash blanking out (particularly on a hot start) and one tech guy added an extra wire from his battery to the starter motor....... this is an old trick and was based on wiring getting hot, thus loosing conductivity...... the Capponord V2 used to struggle to start and once hot you had to try 2-3 times to get it to restart (dash would go blank while trying)..... but it would always fire up and run properly, so the KTM may not have the same issue (ie small dia wiring to the starter motor).

I'm thinking.... and that's always risky :roll:...... it's most likely software out of synch with itself..... saw a post in here somewhere - owner had his software reloaded by the dealership and the bike was fine again.

Sorry i couldn't recall all the details about software getting out of synch with itself (fast starting or incomplete downloads - Matt at KTM covered a lot in quick time and my little brain was spinning out ;) ), but that does seem a more plausible cause of weird issues like dash blanking and engine stalling at odd times..... hope this helps - your local technicians may not have encountered this issue if they don't sell many KTM's - my dealer has been a KTM agent for a long long time so has a good experience base and sells heaps of Kato's).

Raining at last..... whew, temps now pleasant ..... fires up north are under control after destroying over 1 million acres (500,000 hectares) of forest/towns/farms.... now it's cyclone season... ho ho bloody ho..eh :twisted:
Dave I keep my little brain where it's safe: in me trousers :lol:
I'm thinking it's software and the loading of the software in certain conditions. But then who knows. None of this was happening when the temperatures were above 50-55.

Matt should become a forum member :D

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:26 pm

:lol: :lol:

I was out fiddling with my bike in the garage yesterday...... dreaming again..... :lol: ..... but I lifted the seat and had a look at the fuse box (well.... the rubber fusebox... :lol: ) and to my surprise, the fuses were not nice and level like I was expecting.

I tried to push them in further but there must be a trick to it..... but they felt connected...... then I thought, maybe they squeeze against each other and some pop out or break contact intermittently ...... hmmmmm

Maybe everyone should have a look at their fuse boxes (just behind the -ve battery terminal) in case it is the cause of possible future issues :idea:......... it has little rubber loops holding the lid in place so be gentle and 'unbutton' the straps to gain access..... :lol:

Cheers all

Ps I also tried tidying up the tail section...... it doesn't look waterproof due to the big holes where the pillion grab handle mounts...... so I unbolted that huge SAS box and found plugin connectors (for the heated seat & ??) just sitting there waiting to get wet in heavy rain/washing the bike. I taped them over and also taped the tail light connectors which I thought looked badly bent/exposed ...... probably nothing essential, but i had time to waste so that made me feel useful... :lol:
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:51 pm

DaveNZ wrote:
Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:32 pm
We have a similar bike shop (KTM) in Hamilton, its 200kms away, but theres nice corners inbetweem, we also have a recently acquired KTM dealer in my home town, i stupidly took mine there for the recall on the brake leaver (3 months ago) still haven't heard a thing, should have gone to hamilton.

Dave, I know you're busy with recent family issue.... but I was thinking the local 'new' KTM agent might not have a proper warranty agreement with the importer/KTM factory..... if so, you might be better off collecting the bike and going back to the bigger agent.

My Brembo parts were ordered first by my dealership.... so they are waiting for me to show up. I remember one US guy waiting for his Caponord 1200 Brembo repair for over 3 months (the recall was only a 10-15 min job...... unless, maybe your master cylinder has failed and needs total replacement :?: ).

My brake fluid has gone black from inactivity, and I was surprised how spongy/soft both F & R levers felt.... hope mine come good with a fluid change.....

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:58 am

^^^ I think you could be right Dave, i think i will contact the Bike shop where i purchased the 1290 and get them to request the parts.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc

Post by Aussie Dave » Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 am

Had another look at the 'fuse box' and there are different height fuses in the centre positions with shorter ones to the outside positions....... so unless they are loose, the step up in the centre is not an issue.

My GT fired up nice (as always)...... now if I can just get my body to work as well as the bike.. :lol:

I've been annoying the accessory people with questions about stuff like an 'Ergo Seat' for Xmas..... :roll:

I should let Rock pass on the news.... but he's probably having too much fun getting to know his new Ninja1000 (got a deal he couldn't refuse after losing confidence in the complexity of Euro bikes and the lack of great dealer support in the USA).

Keep the shiny side up eh 8-)

Rock
250cc
250cc

Post by Rock » Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm

Aussie Dave wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 am
Had another look at the 'fuse box' and there are different height fuses in the centre positions with shorter ones to the outside positions....... so unless they are loose, the step up in the centre is not an issue.

My GT fired up nice (as always)...... now if I can just get my body to work as well as the bike.. :lol:

I've been annoying the accessory people with questions about stuff like an 'Ergo Seat' for Xmas..... :roll:

I should let Rock pass on the news.... but he's probably having too much fun getting to know his new Ninja1000 (got a deal he couldn't refuse after losing confidence in the complexity of Euro bikes and the lack of great dealer support in the USA).

well it was a 150 mile round trip in 34 degree temps with 40mph wind gusts, and a snow squall on the way home, so it was a really nice ride, but I got her :D
I'm still recovering from the severe hypothermia but it is is warming up to a tepid 36 today so I think I'll take her for another spin. Not for 75 miles this time.. The way down the heated grips saved me, the way back up I had to buy heavy winter gloves or my fingers would have broken off without the heated grips.

I miss the GT, it was a very comfortable bike, but I can't deal with our dealer situation around here. It's unfortunate. I'm also a sucker for an I-4 so I don't think I would have ever gelled with the Twin unless I had a second bike to switch off with.

And yes the bike barely started up yesterday and stalled with another blank out. I kept the spare key in my pocket because if I needed gas I was too afraid to shut the bike off to open the tank lock. The Ninja started right up. The KTM really does not like the cold. Not something that a person in the north east can deal with unless you have a well heated garage.

Time to send the seat to a customizer and order after market pegs. It should be almost as comfortable as the GT after that. No more euro bikes for me (well, except for BMWs).

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Post by jjscsix » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:39 pm

Rock wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:51 pm
Aussie Dave wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 6:55 am

well it was a 150 mile round trip in 34 degree temps with 40mph wind gusts, and a snow squall on the way home, so it was a really nice ride, but I got her :D
I'm still recovering from the severe hypothermia but it is is warming up to a tepid 36 today so I think I'll take her for another spin. Not for 75 miles this time.. The way down the heated grips saved me, the way back up I had to buy heavy winter gloves or my fingers would have broken off without the heated grips.

I miss the GT, it was a very comfortable bike, but I can't deal with our dealer situation around here. It's unfortunate. I'm also a sucker for an I-4 so I don't think I would have ever gelled with the Twin unless I had a second bike to switch off with.

And yes the bike barely started up yesterday and stalled with another blank out. I kept the spare key in my pocket because if I needed gas I was too afraid to shut the bike off to open the tank lock. The Ninja started right up. The KTM really does not like the cold. Not something that a person in the north east can deal with unless you have a well heated garage.

Time to send the seat to a customizer and order after market pegs. It should be almost as comfortable as the GT after that. No more euro bikes for me (well, except for BMWs).
The guy I ride with and I both had Ninja 1000s. We both loved that bike. If it came with factory cruise control we would still have one. But at the price you can get them for it is a fantastic bike. And bulletproof. I cannot say enough good things about them.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

Rock
250cc
250cc

Post by Rock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:26 am

The issue I had with my last NInja was comfort but Rizoma makes a great adjustable rear-set peg kit for it now. I also have contacted a shop that customizes the stock seat to make it livable. That will take care of the comfort for the most part. It won't be as roomy as the GT but will be good enough. Ivan doesn't make a flash for the 17's and beyond but there's still performance mods to get a decent power boost.

For the price you just can't do any better than the Ninja. If you drop a couple grand into it it becomes a great bike. I was never willing to do that before because to resale value, but I realize now it's the best move.
btw, I had cruise control on 4 or 5 bikes and never used it. I don't know what it is I just don't ever have the desire to use it. But then I don't do many multi hundred mile days.

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Post by jjscsix » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:35 am

I had full Akra system and Power Commander on mine. I dyno'd at 123 stock and 140 after. I also had a Sargent seat that I literary had waiting at home when I took delivery of the bike. You are correct that I didn't get any of the money back out of the mods, but I never expected to either.

As to the cruise, a normal Saturday for me is 350 miles, and it's 50 miles to my first curve!
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

Rock
250cc
250cc

Post by Rock » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:47 am

It's amazing how much more power you can get out of that 1045 I-4. I don't know if I will go full akra as I have to be somewhat judicious with the modding costs, but I will do some power mod. I think my most major mod with be the rear shock.
There's something about the Ninja that keeps me coming back. Of course the price and reliability (as well as strong dealer support) doens't hurt, but there's something beyond that.