SMT Suddenly Died

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
WAP
125cc
125cc
City: Space Coast
Year: 2013
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

SMT Suddenly Died

Post by WAP » Mon Sep 03, 2018 3:07 pm

Was going for a ride yesterday, about 10 minutes in when shifting gears the motor and all electrics suddenly shut off. Flipping the kill switch and the ignition switch did nothing. I did some quick roadside diagnostic work and found the main fuse was blown. I put a spare main fuse in and that immediately popped too. There's 12V across the main fuse terminals, even with the ignition shut off, which leads me to believe something else shorted out. The starter relay seems to be good (makes a non-recurring click at 12V and shows continuity between the two main poles). I'm gonna check the aux starter relay next. Any ideas?

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012

Re: SMT Suddenly Died

Post by limeyduffa » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:56 pm

Hi WAP, Where's wally ?
index.jpeg
index.jpeg (26.99 KiB) Viewed 300 times
Just kidding :P. To confirm, is it fuse 5 that's blowing ? (10A Power fuse ?)

When you say it pops when you insert it, it pops with ignition off ?. This refuse should have 0V across it with ignition off. Looking at the fuse box from the left hand side, the fuse conductor on the right should be 12V and the left is open.

With this test, start isolating electrics. If you see 0V across this fuse, you know you have isolated the short. Start by removing non-essential fuses 2, 3, 4, 6, 7 and 8 one by one and check this voltage. Failing that, start physically disconnecting subsystems like the lights, spark plugs, ECU, throttle bodies, regulator etc, cluster, ABS etc one by one and test voltage across fuse. I'll look at the schematic later and see if I can help you narrow it down if you're not having any luck.

Good luck :)

J

WAP
125cc
125cc

Post by WAP » Thu Sep 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Thanks for the reply. It's the main fuse (30A) at the starter relay module that's exploding when the battery's connected (regardless of ignition switch position). I put a volt meter across the main fuse terminals, and pulled the accessory fuses out one by one, but didn't see the voltage drop. The search continues...

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:27 am

Ok. This is a "where's wally" exercise. I bet a Toberone it's the reg. Could you disconnect the 2 pole connector going out of the reg and see if the short is isolated.
reg.jpg

WAP
125cc
125cc

Post by WAP » Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:06 pm

Turned out to be one of the coil (?) wires on the LH side, one of the upper crash guard bolts caused it to pinch. I think you owe me a toblerone, :lol:

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:13 pm

fkn, every time I bet a Toblerone, I loose ! :lol: . Glad you got it sorted.