Splitting the cases !

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Splitting the cases !

Post by limeyduffa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:01 am

Slight "teething problem". It's in bits ! :lol:

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

Re: Splitting the cases !

Post by Magic Wand » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 pm

Interesting!
But... where s the pictures...? Can't see them mate.

/M

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:36 pm

Ok, try this.
splitting_cases.jpg

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:44 pm

At this stage, I have replaced both base gaskets and discovered I have got two shagged intake tappet buckets on rear cylinder (bike has only done 37000km !). This has put a blow on by plan. I was hoping to have bike back on the road in 2 weeks. Now I have to order more parts from England. In two weeks time, I get busy at work and have to travel interstate (ie: across the country) 1 week in, 1 week out for a few months. I doubt I will have the time to repair bike in this time. I stop riding in summer, so it's really stuffed up my winter.

I suppose the bright side of it, is that I discovered these faulty buckets before serious cam damage set in. It would be interested to see if anyone has this problem:

http://www.superduke.net/forum/viewtopi ... 9c#p336631

I spent all of long weekend repairing bike, plus every week day night working on it to 11pm-midnight. I am pretty shagged and want a break. When I'm interstate and bored shitless next month, I'll have heaps of time to document what I have done.

Another one. Rear cylinder off:
splitting_cases2.jpg

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by linehand » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:07 pm

Yes Limey! Exact same issue. I noticed at my 40,000 mi service. shim bucket coating is flaking off on cam surface. I needed the bike back together so I figured I'd deal with it at the 50k mi service. I'm at 46,600 mi now, so I figure I'll order the parts in time for the service and crossing my fingers the cams don't have any appreciable wear. Unfortunately Ktm is awful proud of the buckets like the rest of their parts and it's about $200 here for all 8. At first when I read your title I thought you meant "crank cases" and thought to myself, "boy that project sure went south!". Thanks for keeping us updated!

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:09 am

Yes, linehand they are about $89AUD locally. What is the go with these ?. Buy these expensive buckets for them to fail again within 30000km ???. The KTM promise was the LC8 motor wouldn't need to be touched until 100000km.

10 years ago, when I owned my 2006 990 SD, there was a bloke at work that owned a 950 SM. During a routine major service at 52000km, The dealer delivered a bomb shell. His cam drive system for both cylinders was in the verge of failure and needed to be replaced. He was livid. He told them to go ***** em selves. He took the bike back, and sold it. Since that day, I dredged this would happen to my bike. It probably did for my SD (the 2nd owner), and nearly did for my SMT.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:10 pm

An enlarged pic of my damaged bucket:
bucket_coating_flaking_off.jpg

linehand
125cc
125cc

Post by linehand » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:38 pm

I dunno bud, sifting through forums I found a picture at one time of new and old shim buckets side by side and the new one appeared different. Whether it didn't have a coating or it was a different coating I can't say and neither could the owner. I don't imagine dealers would have a clue either, certainly not the ones around here. I don't keep up with the forums for the 1190's or 1290's so don't know if it's an ongoing issue.
I feel your pain though, it's a love/hate relationship with these high end machines. For a guy who wrenches on his own bikes and isn't in the 1%, my brain says my next bike should be of Japanese descent, but the heart sure loves riding something different. It's had its niggles but at least it hasn't stranded me or had any major issues. If I can get >60k mi out of it I'll be satisfied. It's already basically worthless since most 'mericans are deathly afraid of any motorcycle with more than 20k mi on the clock.
If you only need to replace 2, I'd say that's not too shabby and you're already committed now! At least it's a part you can get your eyes on every valve inspection.
I'll be sure to report back after my next valve inspection. If my clearances have opened up then I've probably worn my cams down to some extent. If it still runs well, I'll replace the buckets and continue to run it. If not I may look for a used replacement engine or even complete bike and use the old for spares. I'm cheap and don't think I can justify dropping >$20k on a fancy new rig.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:16 am

I totally agree regarding SMT reliability. Two points though. a) The support in Australia is S*ht. Something high maintenance (or above average), needs good support. It's not there. b) I only ride in winter. It's too hot in summer (Adelaide is probably similar to New York - we have extreme temperature differences) and hate riding, gives me anxiety attacks sweating in bike gear in +40C (+100F). So, bike gets parked up in summer and I swap sports and go windsurfing. The past three years the bike has broke at the start of winter, taking away a months worth of good riding. This year, it has completely wiped out winter. In two weeks time, I will be interstate working. Won't be able to return to repairing bike until September/October. So, that is my peeve, and why I feel like selling the SMT and getting a Jap bike. I only ride 5000-10000km a year, so having more than one bike is pointless.

linehand
125cc
125cc

Post by linehand » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:31 pm

Nah I totally get it. The dealer support is a joke here too. They have no interest or support for the street bikes. Aside from just being lazy and rude. That coupled with insulting prices makes the marque undesirable to the non dirt bike crowd.
On that note Indian is officially building the ftr1200 so that’s what I’ll be replacing the smt with.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc

Post by limeyduffa » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:32 am

However, the other side of me is saying keep it and get a DR400SM as the spare bike !. The SMT can be in bits on the kitchen table all winter then :lol: