125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Denali d4 driving lights on a GT

Post by supergt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:43 am

Hi all,
anyone here install these puppies on their GT? Got them the other day along with mounts for my motech crash bars. This is my first experience with leds, seem to be pretty heavy units compared to my old piaa 55w halogens. They have good ratings, (old eyes need lots of light 8-) just not sure how I'm going to route those wires, or whether I need to take the gas tank off. I looked at a thread here showing gas tank removal but none of the images showed up, and I have no idea what tapatalk is (where apparently they do show up).
Cheers

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc
City: Perth

Re: Denali d4 driving lights on a GT

Post by MarkLH69 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:20 am

supergt wrote:Hi all,
I looked at a thread here showing gas tank removal but none of the images showed up, and I have no idea what tapatalk is (where apparently they do show up).
Cheers
Tapatalk is an app for phones and tablets for reading forums. I expect the images are on Tapatalk servers then.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc
City: Perth

Post by MarkLH69 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:55 pm

Expired pics I think, even on Tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Namor
50cc
50cc
City: Gävle
Year: 2010

Post by Namor » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:40 pm

I actually saved a copy for future use.
I hope this helps..
Attachments
Fuel Tank Removal.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 26 times

supergt
125cc
125cc

Post by supergt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Namor, muchos gracias for this, really appreciate the help amigo.

supergt
125cc
125cc

Post by supergt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 pm

MarkLH69 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:55 pm
Expired pics I think, even on Tapatalk app.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk
Thanks Mark, will look for the app.

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston

Post by jjscsix » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm

I recommend not taking the tank off. I was able to run wires under the side panels by taking them off.

I had to have work done at the dealer that involved them taking the tank off. When I took the bike in they thought it was gong to be a simple 30 minute job and did not know the tank would have to come off. The dealer and mechanic were kind enough to let me watch the mechanic work. Without going into the reasons, they had to change out the left handlebar switch.

He kept taking parts off to get to the connector, and eventually had to take the tank off. By then the mechanic and I were getting along very well and I can honestly say I helped him with a fair amount of work.

Getting the tank off is not especially hard for a good do it yourselfer (which I am and have been for 50 years). Getting the tank back on is the real bitch kitty. It took he, another mechanic and me watching from underneath 30 minutes just to get the tank seated in place. There are two grommets that simply are not designed to make it easy. And don’t under estimate how much a couple of grommets can make.

So I repeat my advice, run the wires under the side panels. They are easy to take off and you can then fish the wires under the back of the tank to the underseat area for wiring.

I look forward to your write up and pics when you are done as I would like to put driving lights on my bike also. The older I get the earlier I leave on my Sunday morning rides to the point where I frequently leave before daylight.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

supergt
125cc
125cc

Post by supergt » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:49 am

jjscsix wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:57 pm
I recommend not taking the tank off. I was able to run wires under the side panels by taking them off.

I had to have work done at the dealer that involved them taking the tank off. When I took the bike in they thought it was gong to be a simple 30 minute job and did not know the tank would have to come off. The dealer and mechanic were kind enough to let me watch the mechanic work. Without going into the reasons, they had to change out the left handlebar switch.

He kept taking parts off to get to the connector, and eventually had to take the tank off. By then the mechanic and I were getting along very well and I can honestly say I helped him with a fair amount of work.

Getting the tank off is not especially hard for a good do it yourselfer (which I am and have been for 50 years). Getting the tank back on is the real bitch kitty. It took he, another mechanic and me watching from underneath 30 minutes just to get the tank seated in place. There are two grommets that simply are not designed to make it easy. And don’t under estimate how much a couple of grommets can make.

So I repeat my advice, run the wires under the side panels. They are easy to take off and you can then fish the wires under the back of the tank to the underseat area for wiring.

I look forward to your write up and pics when you are done as I would like to put driving lights on my bike also. The older I get the earlier I leave on my Sunday morning rides to the point where I frequently leave before daylight.
I had a feeling it wouldn't be that easy to put that tank back from what I've read so far, I never like taking the tank off of motorcycles if I can help it. It's been sitting for a few days and haven't had a chance to get to it but I did take off the side bits and am looking for ways to fish the wires through as you mentioned. I'll probably try to use some plastic corrugated sheaths for the wires to protect from any heat near the engine. Thanks for confirming my fears lol. I'll post some pics when I'm finally done. Sure is tight in that damn battery compartment, would love to remove all those emission hoses but don't want to void my warranty. Thanks for the advice.

jjscsix
500cc
500cc

Post by jjscsix » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:00 pm

I look forward to the results. I did some studying yesterday on the Denali D2s. I’ll probably get them and use the Fender Mount bolts. I already have power I can use coming from the battery through a relay and wired as I explained under the tank up to the front.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

supergt
125cc
125cc

Post by supergt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:51 pm

Ya, I did it the hard way as usual. Those D4's have a pretty thick and unwieldy wiring harness. I opted to not splice into any switched wires. Ended up starting by anchoring the lightswitch on the handlebar first then fishing the back end of the harness through the front of the bike towards the battery. I have to say they are a pretty bright light at nightime. Will post some pics as soon as i figure out how.

supergt
125cc
125cc

Post by supergt » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:27 am

Couple of pics with the big Denali D4s. Didn't have to remove the gas tank but took me awhile to find places where I could fish that big bundle of wires through a space on top of the radiator left side. Side panels weren't necessary to take off just loosened up to see. Started by attaching the switch to the left side handlebar and just running the wires along with that other bundle shown.

Got real tight in the battery compartment and had to take batter holder off to tuck wires underneath and route remainder of the excess wires under the rear seat. Also split open the shrink wrap to allow more length for the wires that connect to both sides. I'm sure there is an easier way to do this, but all in all not too obtrusive and you can't even notice the wiring on either side. Just have to play with the positioning of the lights now for best effect.
Attachments
Front of bike wire entry.JPG
Wiring harness battery compartment.JPG
battery compartment.JPG
Denali light switch.JPG
rt side bike light.JPG
Denali D4 lights on.JPG

jjscsix
500cc
500cc