supergt
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Hello from Vancouver, BC

Post by supergt » Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:02 am

Hi all, finally pulled the trigger on a 2017 grey SDGT after looking at several other bikes, still breaking it in but love it so far. Doing some typical mods, lights, horn, crash bars, pan guard, windscreen, etc. Haven't seen any GT's in my travels yet but will keep an eye out.
Rubber side down. :D

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: Hello from Vancouver, BC

Post by DaveNZ » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:03 am

Congrats on your new purchase, just in time for your summer riding season, enjoy the torque.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

SuperDukeGT
125cc
125cc
City: Nanaimo
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SuperDukeGT » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Welcome to the forum. Obviously I own a GT and I live in Nanaimo. The forum is a good site to gain inside information on these bikes; however, not all of your questions can be answered here so if you want some information regarding upgrades or retrofits, feel free to ask me. A lot of the work I did on my bike, I learned through the school of hard knocks; even the dealers mechanics were at a loss in many cases. I don't have all the answers but I have modified my bike probably more than others. In example, lights, seats, Rottweiler performance parts, windscreen, carbon fibre parts, radar, panniers, exhaust, PCV, auto igntion module, sprocket, catalytic converter delete, oil filter, air filter, fuel mapping, tail tidy, LED signal lights, etc. I think I am petty much done as I spent this past winter tearing it down and modifying the bike to my specs.

My experience has been that you won't encounter many of these bikes on the road, at least not on Vancouver Island (may be different on the lower mainland with a higher population). In fact, in the past two years, I have yet to encounter another GT. These bikes are expensive and out of range for a lot of guys. Retrofit parts to the bike and the price gains even more altitude! There is also quite a bit of competition (other brands) in this niche market and BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, etc. are more well known for sport touring bikes than KTM which, until recently, has been more aligned with dirt bikes.

Best of luck with your new bike. Bryan

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:48 am

G'day SuperGT....... from Downunder (Aus).

Welcome to the forum and enjoy tricking that weapon up with bling.

When you look around at the competition, all the bikes in this category have become very pricey. Others have very small fuel tanks/ low horsepower/ no panniers/ massive weight etc etc... and might be cheaper, but can't do what a GT does so easily :D.

The GT has light weight, bulk power, great fuel range - and slim fitting but weird shaped side cases... so it can be your sports bike and your touring bike...... just fit the hand guards and maybe a taller/tinted screen.. 8-)

I'd suggest asking the dealer to delete the 'low tyre pressure warning' (but keep the TPMS system active) so when you decide to run lower pressures than KTM's recommended 36-40psi.... you won't be distracted mid corner with a sudden 'WARNING' message.. ;).

Cheers
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Newbusa
125cc
125cc
City: Qualicum100
Year: 2010

Post by Newbusa » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:01 am

SuperDukeGT wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 pm
Welcome to the forum. Obviously I own a GT and I live in Nanaimo. The forum is a good site to gain inside information on these bikes; however, not all of your questions can be answered here so if you want some information regarding upgrades or retrofits, feel free to ask me. A lot of the work I did on my bike, I learned through the school of hard knocks; even the dealers mechanics were at a loss in many cases. I don't have all the answers but I have modified my bike probably more than others. In example, lights, seats, Rottweiler performance parts, windscreen, carbon fibre parts, radar, panniers, exhaust, PCV, auto igntion module, sprocket, catalytic converter delete, oil filter, air filter, fuel mapping, tail tidy, LED signal lights, etc. I think I am petty much done as I spent this past winter tearing it down and modifying the bike to my specs.

My experience has been that you won't encounter many of these bikes on the road, at least not on Vancouver Island (may be different on the lower mainland with a higher population). In fact, in the past two years, I have yet to encounter another GT. These bikes are expensive and out of range for a lot of guys. Retrofit parts to the bike and the price gains even more altitude! There is also quite a bit of competition (other brands) in this niche market and BMW, Ducati, Yamaha, etc. are more well known for sport touring bikes than KTM which, until recently, has been more aligned with dirt bikes.

Really yet to encounter another GT on the Island? :mrgreen: I have one very modded just up in Qualicum, good friend of mine in Port Alberni has one modded as well and I've seen at least one more locally :mrgreen:

SuperDukeGT
125cc
125cc
City: Nanaimo
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by SuperDukeGT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:24 am

There you go! three of us on the island! Probably more Ferrari's and Lambo's on the island than our GT's and I may encounter one of those every other year or so despite the fact that one of my neighbours down the street owns both!

Newbusa
125cc
125cc

Post by Newbusa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:04 am

Maybe 4 in area, I met a younger guy at Mile Zero last year on one with a Remus muffler. So unless your that guy then that makes 4 :mrgreen:

Newbusa
125cc
125cc

Post by Newbusa » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 am

We should have a Island meetup one of these days, and we all could discuss what mods we have and how well they work. :mrgreen:

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:03 am

Welcome mate.

supergt
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver
Colour: Silver

Post by supergt » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:46 pm

SuperDukeGT wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:13 pm

Thanks for the offer Bryan, I've only seen one GT up in Whistler a couple of summers ago and that's about it. Nice to know there are a few around.

Newbusa
125cc
125cc

Post by Newbusa » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:47 am

Yes, welcome to the site supergt, sorry for derailing your thread :?

mick shere
Supporter
Supporter
City: Plymouth

Post by mick shere » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:40 pm

A very big welcome to you, welcome in :D