still
125cc
125cc
City: Melbourne
Year: 2009
Colour: Silver

Better late than never

Post by still » Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:42 am

Have picked up a 2009 smt (stock as stock can get) earlier this year.
Currently relegated to a life of squaring off tyres on daily commute (fuel consumption be damned).
Started to do some long overdue maintenance as I sort out teething oil leaks etc (looking at your, gear position sensor), namely r/r (which never gives 14v), oberon clutch slave, radiator hoses + new cap (was losing some coolant).

Next on the list is preemptive water pump recondition, steering head bearings and a valve check (these am outsourcing), as well as the all-important centre stand!

Would be keen to do airbox, exhausts (with AUD where it is, a bit eye watering looking at prices), SAS delete and ecu remap.

LarsOTW
50cc
50cc
City: Bergen
Model: SMT

Re: Better late than never

Post by LarsOTW » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:37 pm

Well, congrats on your bike! Sounds like you two have gotten to know each other pretty well! I picked mine up in mid-july, mine was pretty modded with a motohooligan intake, Akrapovic slip-ons and a SAS-delete. Still hasn't stopped me from pouring money into her with new mods though...

A centerstand was one of the first things I did, from SW-Motech (they made the KTM powerparts one and they're identical other than a KTM logo), highly recommended! Nice, clear instructions and it's all made to fit with their other accessories (engine/sump guard and crash bars)

Pay close attention on eBay, I've scored (and lost out on) some really nice bits on there, some of which you can't even get from a dealer now a days.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:01 am

Welcome Still :). I would also inspect the tappet buckets if it's done more than 50k for piece of mind.

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Mon Sep 16, 2019 5:39 am

Thanks for the heads up re: sw-motech parts + the buckets. Unfortunately, being in AU, any savings over OEM is eaten up by exchange rate + shipping costs.

Picked up the bike at 40k, now sitting on 46k kms so coming up for the second oil change now.

Overall have been really enjoying the bike so far, covers all the gripes I had with the versys 650 I was on last as far as a daily commuter goes. Haven't experienced any issues with low-rpm throttle response that has been talked about navigating in the CBD, but maybe this is due to getting used to that with previous bikes (did check, stock throttle cam).

Guess will see how I go after the honeymoon period but I picked it up at a decent price (around $6k aud), assume probably already getting to the bottom of the depreciation point so wont lose much if I decide on something else.

At the moment, priority list goes:
  • my hacky attempt to fix the leaking stator grommet with oil resistant silicone failed. still weeping. Awaiting on a new gasket so I can do it in earnest and check condition of the stator itself
  • install the fh020 rr I have sitting in a box (awaiting on some delphi connectors from RS to replace the stator => rr brown oem ones). Will do it at the same time as the above
  • dropping off the bike to a local (non-dealership) mechanic to do valve clearance + buckets check next Monday
  • still to order an oem fork rebuild kit (R14013) to do at the same time as the steering head bearings (also came in a complete kit 00050000930 ). This is more of a peace of mind rather than immediate need but I don't have much of a history on the bike. $81 AUD for the steering head kit, $95 AUD for the fork kit
  • since its a 2009 model, the r/r is located next to the battery box. Have ordered the oem mounting bracket (62111037000) to relocate it to the side. - $37 AUD
  • Noticed the stock single horn is very quiet, not sure if this how it is standard or just tired. Ordered a mitsuba 112db 440hz plugin replacement from webike - $27 AUD shipped (had some points left)
  • oem centre stand (62003922000) ordered, given a rough eta of 3 weeks to arrive from Austria - $322 AUD
  • ordered the 2013 smt cable support bracket that holds the ignition switch + has the extra hole for a 12v plug (62001070100). Picked up a chgeek usb plug with a built-in voltage metre to keep an eye on the battery to mount there - all together, $34 AUD
  • ordered the cjdesign waterpump rebuild kit, may wait until next time as am kinda weary of trying to do it on my own. Randomly, saw on Advrider someone mentioned an aftermarket impeller + spacer kit doing good things in bringing down summer i-am-stuck-in-peak-hour engine temp (around $250AUD so still thinking on it).
  • Getting an extra fan as per Kev's mod book with the Melbourne summer fast approaching - $87 AUD from eBay
Cheapest place I found to source OEM parts by far has been from Suncity Motorcycles in WA. 10-20% cheaper than local Melbourne dealers.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:13 am

Let me know the condition of your buckets. I doubt there will be an issue. I had issues with mine, although I suspect they got swapped at dealer :x. The next major, I'm going to drop the motor again and give them another inspection.

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:06 am

Sure thing.

My attempt to fix the leaking stator grommet failed again.
Took it for a ride after letting silicone to cure, still weeping.
Anyone have any ideas?

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:30 pm

No ideas. You could try asking on netrider. Lots of knowledgeable people on there.

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Thu Sep 19, 2019 3:10 am

Will do, cheers.

Btw, my own dealership service experiences....
- lost clutch on a motorway because of over-torquing of the clutch slave bolts (stripped thread, one came out)
- lost power on my way home because mechanic forgot to screw in the positive battery terminal
- lost the whole shift lever on a motorway due to no loctite and assuming under-torquing of the securing bolt

Good times on all accounts.

arthedie
125cc
125cc
City: Arizona
Year: 2016
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by arthedie » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:28 am

Congrats on your new bike!

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:27 am

Small update...
Buckets looked fine, valves within spec now.
The problem is with either sticky camchain tensioner(s) or camchain itself.

About to replace the first now, fingers crossed it'll resolve the tractor sound. While at it, replacing stator wiring with a thicker silicone one (thanks for the suggestion Kev), as well as clutch springs.

Installed fh020 r/r and 3way connector with a weatherpack one. Solved my issue with low voltage.

Installed the replacement horn, straight forward swap... works so much better, highly recommended.

Now waiting on the spare fan in time for summer.
After that, tune ecu cable + dna airbox.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:19 am

Cool :)

Rusty
50cc
50cc

Post by Rusty » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm

Always nice to read about another SMT here in Melbourne, I've never seen another on the roads!

Out of interest, where did you take it for the valve clearance checks? I should get mine done soon, but don't have any shops I've used before... another riders positive experience seems a better bet than shopping for one on Google

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 am

Rusty wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:08 pm
Always nice to read about another SMT here in Melbourne, I've never seen another on the roads!

Out of interest, where did you take it for the valve clearance checks? I should get mine done soon, but don't have any shops I've used before... another riders positive experience seems a better bet than shopping for one on Google
Hey Rusty, I took it to a local guy in Bundoora that have been taking all my bikes to for the last 4 or so years. It's his side thing, he mainly does mechanic work for race teams. Can get busy at times so sometimes have to wait a week or two, but always fair prices, quality oil and prides himself on his work. Let me know if you're interested and I can PM you his contact info.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter
Year: 2013

Post by bigred » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm

Hey Still

A belated welcome - I have only ever seen one other SMT on the roads in Melbourne. After 3 and a bit years my 2013 SMT makes me smile every time I get on it!

I followed much of Kev's mod book - aluminum base plate from George in Greece and ITG foam filter, Leo Vince exhausts and a custom tune from Race City in Brunswick, and the bike has been transformed. I will have up the horn you describe thought - I agree the stock is weak.

In relation to servicing, I did get a dealer service for my first major after buying the bike. KTM Epping quoted me $750, and after a fair bit of haggling I got Stevens (very close to me) to match. I have found Stevens good, if pricey, for mechanical, and very competitive for tyres. I would be very interested in the details of your mechanic guy though if you could share.

Cheers
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:59 pm

bigred wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:36 pm
Hey Still

A belated welcome - I have only ever seen one other SMT on the roads in Melbourne. After 3 and a bit years my 2013 SMT makes me smile every time I get on it!

I followed much of Kev's mod book - aluminum base plate from George in Greece and ITG foam filter, Leo Vince exhausts and a custom tune from Race City in Brunswick, and the bike has been transformed. I will have up the horn you describe thought - I agree the stock is weak.

In relation to servicing, I did get a dealer service for my first major after buying the bike. KTM Epping quoted me $750, and after a fair bit of haggling I got Stevens (very close to me) to match. I have found Stevens good, if pricey, for mechanical, and very competitive for tyres. I would be very interested in the details of your mechanic guy though if you could share.

Cheers
Hey @bigred, thanks.
No worries, contact details sent. Generally I source the parts myself (apart from oil) then drop everything off to him to carry out the work. As mentioned, for things like gaskets and oem parts tend to order from suncity in WA.

My bike is with him at the moment...
  • - just got the camchain tensioners (ordered from CJ Design... 2 for the local price of 1. $170 AUD shipped) replaced which quieted the engine some.

- Now changing the rear cylinder head gasket as it developed a minor leak

- new to me (2nd hand) stator from a 16k lc8 (via Tony @ Byron Moto Spares... $150 AUD) that doesn't have a leak through the rubber grommet

- installing the centre stand (couldn't for the life of me get the two bolts holding the side stand off, was flexing my wrench)

- throttle body syncing (just got the lonelec cable)

- rear brake bleed... feels way too squishy after a pad change (EBC FA181HH ~$50 AUD from AMX in epping)

still
125cc
125cc

Post by still » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:09 am

Bike is running pretty well now. Probably a 50% decrease in noise with the new camchain tensioners. Like MX bikes, front one was pretty well stuck.

All leaks resolved too.

With the centre stand installed did notice rear rotor has a minor warp so planning to pick up an ebc one soon. Other than that, mechanic noted some wear in the clutch basket. Thinking of shelling out on CJ designs' billet one but $900 aud gives me pause.