Rusted/captive engine bolt nut

Squeaky back brake? Hard to control at 30mph/40kph?
limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Rusted/captive engine bolt nut

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:47 pm

Hi All

I had the tank off today, and noticed the four side engine mount brackets had rusting nuts. These nuts are captive, and in order to inspect, it looks like I would have to remove the entire engine to get at all the lugs that hold the nuts in place. Has anybody experienced this rust ?

Part number: 543 10 086 100 SELF LOCKING NUT M10 CU WS=14

Piccy:

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Re: Rusted/captive engine bolt nut

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:44 am

The nuts are copper nuts. They just looked rusted from the angle I was looking. So all good.

I've got my engine out at the moment to do the base gaskets and a few other things.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:44 am

Hi 'Limey'!
So the engine is out from the frame. Did you do it by yourself or the workshop?
Difficult?
Take some photos from 'inside' if there is a chance! Very interested to see how it looks like :)

/Magic

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:53 pm

Hi Mate

So far a 4/5 difficulty and would turn into a cluster fk doing this with no preparation (I planned this to death !). I did most it of myself except for the actual engine removal (a mate came around to help with that). The motor is now in the dining room. I'm in the middle of fastening it to a 2nd hand coffee table so it won't slip around when I'm removing the studs and torquing (KTM have a special jigg to hold the motor). The engine is a bit top heavy.

Yes, will do. I'm taking lots of pics and videoing myself. Depending on how useful the video is, I'll post it. When I was researching base gasket replacement/engine removal, there is nothing out there regarding youtube videos.

BTW: How is your recovery going ?

linehand
125cc
125cc
City: northern CA
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by linehand » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 pm

Fine job, interested to see how this turns out. I'll also be interested in total cost of parts to get it freshened up since it seems low mileage duke engines are pretty plentiful...I need to have a game plan in place cause my SMT is getting long in the tooth. Thanks for the pics and updates!

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc

Post by limeyduffa » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

No worries Linehand. Once I get my bike back on the road, I'll do a big post up and a video so people know what they are getting themselves in for. All up parts pretty cheap (by AU/NZ standards).. about $400AUD for parts (including oil, fuel, filters, water pump servicing etc). I brought them from Fowlers in England and the fuel pump filters from a cheap supplier on ADV rider. I did a much over due upgrade to my tool board which killed me. but that will keep on giving :)