Aeor
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney
Year: 2016

Exhaust Servo

Post by Aeor » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:23 am

Hi Guys,

I thought I'd start this thread because it really deserves it's own discussion.

So I began with buying a 1290 Akropovic slip on, and the link pipe from Remus for a 1290 R Super Duke, not the GT.

This photo then had me realise the link pipe will not meet up with the stock position of the silencer, so the Akro 1290 silencer I had would have a large gap between the link pipe and the slip on:
GT vs R exhaust-01.png
After using an old bracket I had laying around, I had moved the Akro slip on closer to meet the link pipe. It looks dodgy but it was temporary until I could fabricate something more permanent.
Temporary Bracket.jpg
As you can see, the 2 cables that turned the exhaust valve were now hanging with some cable ties, free to move back and forth.

When I Started the bike however, the engine gave me an MTC Failure. As noted by a lot of posts over the web, one of the first teething problems the GT faced was MTC Failure from a failing butterfly valve servo. This then made the ECU think the exhaust was stuck closed, and put the bike in limp mode.
So that's what had happened to mine, but by my hand, not the fault of the bike.

So what's happening? Buy watching the cables, they appear to be turned in one direction till the cables reach their minimum length, and then begin to turn the reverse direction. This I believe, is the servo checking the travel of the valve, and making sure it can't go past completely closed or completely opened. But because mine were hanging freely, they valve believed it was over turning, and thus thinking their was some sort of disconnect between where the servo though the valve was, and where it actually was.

I ended up cutting the butterfly valve off the cat, and welding it to the link pipe. It means I keep my exhaust valve for engine and noise control, as well no MTC failure.

I will be uploading a video to YouTube shortly of me messing with it, and showing the final results:
Link pipe with Valve welded.jpg

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Exhaust Servo

Post by jhalfhide » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:59 am

When the cables are pulled, it's checking for resistance to know its pulling the valve. Ducati have the same system and some cheat it with a spring or do what I did and buy a cheat device from eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Aeor
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney

Post by Aeor » Mon Aug 15, 2016 6:31 am

vet57air
675cc
675cc
City: Port Alberni

Post by vet57air » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:25 pm

Aeor wrote:Hi Guys,

I thought I'd start this thread because it really deserves it's own discussion.

So I began with buying a 1290 Akropovic slip on, and the link pipe from Remus for a 1290 R Super Duke, not the GT.

This photo then had me realise the link pipe will not meet up with the stock position of the silencer, so the Akro 1290 silencer I had would have a large gap between the link pipe and the slip on:
GT vs R exhaust-01.png
After using an old bracket I had laying around, I had moved the Akro slip on closer to meet the link pipe. It looks dodgy but it was temporary until I could fabricate something more permanent.
Temporary%20Bracket.jpg
As you can see, the 2 cables that turned the exhaust valve were now hanging with some cable ties, free to move back and forth.

When I Started the bike however, the engine gave me an MTC Failure. As noted by a lot of posts over the web, one of the first teething problems the GT faced was MTC Failure from a failing butterfly valve servo. This then made the ECU think the exhaust was stuck closed, and put the bike in limp mode.
So that's what had happened to mine, but by my hand, not the fault of the bike.

So what's happening? Buy watching the cables, they appear to be turned in one direction till the cables reach their minimum length, and then begin to turn the reverse direction. This I believe, is the servo checking the travel of the valve, and making sure it can't go past completely closed or completely opened. But because mine were hanging freely, they valve believed it was over turning, and thus thinking their was some sort of disconnect between where the servo though the valve was, and where it actually was.

I ended up cutting the butterfly valve off the cat, and welding it to the link pipe. It means I keep my exhaust valve for engine and noise control, as well no MTC failure.

I will be uploading a video to YouTube shortly of me messing with it, and showing the final results:
Link%20pipe%20with%20Valve%20welded.jpg
As you had the servo valve apart, do you think it is possible to remove the butterfly portion of the valve, but leave the shaft intact as an interm measure? This way the servo would still operate but there would be no butterfly to hold back exhaust gases.

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Tue Aug 16, 2016 5:09 am

So the deed is done. See previous post.
Valve (800x450).jpg
The butterfly is held in place by two phillips head screws that have been welded in place behind. I took off the factory can and was able to drill them out, removing the butterfly. No MTC failure. The valve is still in place and operates normally, but without the butterfly. All that is left is the shaft it was attached to. This is an interm measure until there is a dongle to remove the whole exhaust servo valve. I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
Last edited by vet57air on Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter
City: Northumberland
Model: SMT

Post by Eddie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:58 am

vet57air wrote:So the deed is done. See previous post.
Valve (800x450).jpg
The butterfly is held in place by two phillips head screws that have been welded in place behind. I took off the factory can and was able to drill them out, removing the butterfly. No MTC failure. The valve is still place and operates normally, but without the butterfly. All that is left is the shaft it was attached to. This is an interm measure until there is a dongle to remove the whole exhaust servo valve. I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
That was a common way of dealing with the problem on Multistradas, if they complained about the cable being disconnected. (2010-2012, I think; my 2014 was quite happy with it just being cut or disconnected.)

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:28 pm

vet57air wrote:So the deed is done. See previous post.
Valve (800x450).jpg
The butterfly is held in place by two phillips head screws that have been welded in place behind. I took off the factory can and was able to drill them out, removing the butterfly. No MTC failure. The valve is still in place and operates normally, but without the butterfly. All that is left is the shaft it was attached to. This is an interm measure until there is a dongle to remove the whole exhaust servo valve. I will try it out tomorrow and report back.
So went for a little squirt this morning. Found the 5000ish RPM vibration diminished a bit, but overall could not feel any difference in performance. Obviously the stock map would have been designed to work with the servo valve. Next step is a different fuel map.

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:59 pm

My Remus GT mid pipe came yesterday. I installed last night. It also came with a little trinket to get rid of the the exhaust valve as it is welded to the cat.
v1 (640x360).jpg
v2 (360x640).jpg
Drove the 40 Km to My local KTM dealer and they tried to install the 1290r Akra map. They had questions for KTM so being cautious they held off. There were no fault codes for running lean so I think I'm good to ride. Even so I find the bike much smoother down low. I can putt now between 3-4000 rpm. Love the sound.

ruffneck247
125cc
125cc
City: Peterborough

Post by ruffneck247 » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:20 pm

Did you have any MYC issues with the Remus mid pipe? Every time I try to fit the cam (Trinket), I get an MTC failure.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:25 pm

Is the trinket spring loaded to fool the valve motor !

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 am

ruffneck247 wrote:Did you have any MYC issues with the Remus mid pipe? Every time I try to fit the cam (Trinket), I get an MTC failure.
When I first installed I did get an MTC failure. It appears that when I removed the pulley nut I moved the servo to the closed position. When started the bike moves the servo open, close, open to make sure it operates. I took servo apart and moved it the other way (open). Reassembly, and started up...sweet sound.

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:16 am

MR C wrote:Is the trinket spring loaded to fool the valve motor !
Not spring loaded.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:48 am

vet57air wrote:
Not spring loaded.
How does it fool it !

vet57air
675cc
675cc

Post by vet57air » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:47 pm

MR C wrote:
vet57air wrote:
Not spring loaded.
How does it fool it !
Creates limits (resistance) for servo movement like the exhaust valve.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:02 pm

vet57air wrote:
MR C wrote:
vet57air wrote: Not spring loaded.
How does it fool it !
Creates limits (resistance) for servo movement like the exhaust valve.
I thought so, only issue I have is at the mo there seems to be an issue with the motor throwing up a fault and putting the bikes into limp mode and dealers replacing motors, what happens if you get mtc fault will the dealer still honour a new motor if you have messed around with it . Better option would be some device you could plug into the loom to bypass the motor as per the one they do for the multistrada.

SuperDukeGT
125cc
125cc
City: Nanaimo
Year: 2017

Post by SuperDukeGT » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I own a 2017 KTM Super Duke GT. To date, there is no one that has a dongle to replace the servo motor. I have looked extensively and have not found a manufacturer to date. Dave at Rottweiler advised me that a lot of performance parts aren't being made for the GT because there isn't a demand and, in many instances, the Super Duke R and the GT are slightly different and a part for one isn't necessarily good for the other. Apparently there is a dongle made for the SD R which eliminates the servo motor entirely (sheds weight as well) but Rottweiler tried this on a GT and it didn't work. Perhaps a company like Skutr http://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves-and ... explained/ will make a dongle one day if there are enough people enquiring as to them making one for a GT. Until then, Remus or Rottweiler make a servo stopper which is basically a cam to fit inside the servo in order to fool the ECU. By far, not the best solution but the only one that exists as far as I know.

nrvous
250cc
250cc
City: Tallinn
Year: 2018
Colour: White

Post by nrvous » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:58 am

SuperDukeGT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pm
I own a 2017 KTM Super Duke GT. To date, there is no one that has a dongle to replace the servo motor. I have looked extensively and have not found a manufacturer to date. Dave at Rottweiler advised me that a lot of performance parts aren't being made for the GT because there isn't a demand and, in many instances, the Super Duke R and the GT are slightly different and a part for one isn't necessarily good for the other. Apparently there is a dongle made for the SD R which eliminates the servo motor entirely (sheds weight as well) but Rottweiler tried this on a GT and it didn't work. Perhaps a company like Skutr http://www.skutr.net/exhaust-valves-and ... explained/ will make a dongle one day if there are enough people enquiring as to them making one for a GT. Until then, Remus or Rottweiler make a servo stopper which is basically a cam to fit inside the servo in order to fool the ECU. By far, not the best solution but the only one that exists as far as I know.
Supposedly KTM diagnostics tool can be used to turn it off: http://youtu.be/ekKXuYUVmDE

Qlan
125cc
125cc
City: Drammen
Colour: Black

Post by Qlan » Sat May 19, 2018 7:06 pm

I have also removed the servo from my bike, and told the guys to load in the akra map. However, the bike still gives me the "orange triangle" when im riding it, but it doesnt tell me what kind of error it is.. Does it say MTC Error on the display for those of you who experienced this problem? :)
´17 SDR Black
´18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro w/ Akra Race setup.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Sat May 19, 2018 11:40 pm

SuperDukeGT wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:02 pm
The ESE by Heatech does work on the GT, i have one on mine and it works fine, the first batch didn't work, but now that issue has been resolved.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Billy111
50cc
50cc
City: Belfast
Colour: Silver

Post by Billy111 » Tue May 29, 2018 9:31 pm

Hi guys. New here but have been stalking as a guest for a while! I am a couple of months in with my first KTM SDGT 2017. Great bike but I have caused myself a few problems. I fitted a Remus link pipe and servo stopper shortly after I got the bike and all was good. After a few weeks I started getting intermittent MTC failures on ignition on. The fix was ignition off and back on and no MTC failure and the bike was riding fine. I then got an engine light and diagnostics showed
'exhaust valve cable adjustment' (fault)
'exhaust pressure valve' (fault)
Dealer told me no mapping available to bypass these faults so bike needs to be returned to standard to clear errors.
I have returned bike to standard but screwed up and turned on ignition before refitting the servo motor plug and now have permanent MTC failure and bike is in limp mode.
Going to dealer on Monday to clear fault codes.
I have a Healtech ESE coming and my question is does the ESE get rid of all fault lights that removal of the CAT and servo may throw up?
Are they now reliable with the SAS and O2 sensors still in place or must this also be removed?
Has anyone had experience with the Hilltopmotorcycles mapping and what mods are worth doing to get the most out of it?

Sorry for the lengthy post and thanks in advance.