990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Here be mechanigeeks. Anything technical that is not a teething problem.
xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Re: 990 Power Commander 5 & Tune ECU custom maps

Post by xaotikos » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:40 pm

I would try:
#9/ Kev STD Air Box RC8 FINAL 19.8.12.hex
Standard air box, standard air filter, snorkel installed.
Can be used with STD or RC8 stacks.
2nd flies & shafts removed.
Leovince pipes.
O2 sensors turned off.
EPC turned off.
Rev limiter 9750rpm
SAS Removed
Make in Brisbane Australia, sea level, 22 degrees C, 95 RON BP Fuel, mapped to 13:2.1using a AT-300 auto tune

or even standard maps like:
#13 #14 #15

if you do not plan to remove secondary flies at the moment you should ENABLE them on maps that are disabled and put them at 100% accross all values (secondary throttle in Tuneecu)
I dont believe that only aftermarket cans would affect AFR a lot

BUT, I would remove SAS system and would plugged the holes.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:25 pm

Hi everyone

As some of you have already read about, I decided during last spring/early summer to get back to standard/original stuff on my 990 SMt 2010 (Eur). (Did it for some reasons I just woun't tell in this posts. Just accept I didn't like the intake sound using K&N filter and snorkel removed, + the extra fuel consumption...)

Now I have everything stock, EXCEPT the second flies demounted/out. (This is due to the fact that the engine didn't rev when twisting the throttle more than half way, when starting it last week... So I tried to take out the secondary flies and the engine run good again!)

Now I'm thinking of what the problem with the secondary flies doesn't work is related to.
The engine that moves the shafts to the flies/axels?
Some elctrical connector that accidently has come of during the valve clearence check earlier this winter?
Did I unsucceded to remap the ECU to the stock map, last spring?
Something else?

Anyway, I have sold the ECU cable and all stuff, so I will try to find someone in the nearby that can connect a PC and the ECU cable to see what map is 'active' in presence.

IF not the original map is active, I will load and try the #13 map.

(#13. Remap Standard Bike Minus 2nd Flies.Hex
Standard pipes
Standard air box
Standard stacks
2nd flies removed & turned off, you need to remove your 2nd flies to use this map.
EPC turned off
SAS system on.
O2 sensors turned off
Idle lowered to 1410rpm
Rev limiter set to 9750rpm.
Only thing to do when using this map is remove your second flies, load map, 15 min reset.
Built by Kev in Brisbane on 95 Ron Fuel at sea level, 30C. 10.3.2013)

What is the difference between the #14 and #15 maps? I cant see the difference...

#14. Standard bike smoothened map.02.4.13
Completely standard bike, single cylinder tuning to 13.2:1
O2 sensors off
SAS on
EPC off
RPM increase to 9750rpm
Idle speed reduced to 1440rpm
F/L switch points set to zero from 2000>
Load the map & off you go.
Built by Kev in Brisbane on 95 Ron Fuel at sea level, 25C. 02.04.2013

#15. Kev 8.4.13 STD performance map final.hex
This map is a performance map for a completely standard bike, standard pipes, standard air filter, standard air box, nothing changed except for the ECU mapping.
O2 sensors off
SAS on
EPC off
RPM increase to 9750rpm
Idle speed reduced to 1440rpm
F/L switch points set to zero from 2000>
Load the map & off you go.
Built by Kev in Brisbane on 95 Ron Fuel at sea level, 20C. 08.04.2013

Thank's!
/M
-

Mich69
Supporter
Supporter
City: Amsterdam
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by Mich69 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:29 pm

Hi MW, I am sorry to hear about your malfunctioning sec flies. It seems you fiddled quite around with your bike (in a good way). Shooting in the dark is always difficult. I suggest to get your ECU cable back and run some diagnostics using TuneECU.

Also, wasn't there an option to disable the secondary flies in the software apart from the map loaded?
I had read somewhere about a defected motor driving the 2ndary shaft.

I hope you will succeed.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter
City: Melbourne

Post by bigred » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:15 am

Finally got my 13 SMT dyno tuned a few weeks ago. All I can think since picking it up is, "Why did I wait so long?"

On paper it was only a 4HP increase but the bike rides completely differently. Smoother throttle and more grunt. Previously there were sweet spots (about 6K in third in particular) where the bike pulled much better - now the whole rev range in all gears feels like that!

I'm running Leos with no baffle, ITG foam filter on George's plate, secondary flies removed, EPC off and SAS removed. Was running Map#18 (Jeff's) which I was pretty happy with, but so much happier now.

For those in Melbourne I strongly recommend Race Tuning in Albert St Brunswick, service was excellent and at $450 the price was right. I will try and get my dyno map to Kev so he can add it to the downloads.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:50 pm

Nothing better than a your own custom map. :D

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:46 pm

Hi Kev!

Could you please tell me what the difference is between the #14 and #15 maps? I cant see the difference.
Thanks!

/M
-

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am

#15 should have more opening on the second flies.

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:30 am

New Tune ECU map thanks to Big red for sharing:

#22.RC_KM626EU1102001Map.hex
It is a custom tune ECU map built off a base of Jeff's #18, O2 sensor installed for the tune. Details are:
Built in Melbourne, Australia at 22C
98 RON BP fuel
50m above sea level
Leo Vince with no baffles
RC8 stack on front throttle body
ITG JC30/80 on Georges base plate
2nd flies removed
O2 sensors off
SAS Off
EPC Off
Thanks to Tim for sharing.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Magic Wand » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:31 pm

kevxtx wrote:
Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:21 am
#15 should have more opening on the second flies.
-

Thank's for answer Kev.
But I don't understand exactly what you meen; are you saying that the shafts (without second flies) are more open with map #15?
Is that always, through the whole rev range?

/M
-

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:09 pm

Both maps have the second flies still installed, map #14 is mainly AFR changes, #15 AFR changed + second flies have a greater opening degree compared to #14.

Map #13 has no 2nd flies installed.

YannG
125cc
125cc
City: Baulkham Hills
Colour: Silver

Post by YannG » Wed May 16, 2018 3:30 pm

Apologies for jumping in the thread, I'm getting my smt dynotuned this weekend and cannot decide yet whether i put a rc8 front stack or not.

I do love my wheelies a lot and like to clutch them at low speed/low revs, hence why I'm a bit shy with the rc8 front stack as i know it would shave off some of the low torque.

That being said i wouldn't mind some extra grunt mid range for normal riding...

My quedtion is: would anyone have a dyno map with std stack first, then rc8 front? I'm really looking for tangible data showing rev range affected and to which extend.

I understand it's quite specific and there's already been a lot of talk around it, but raw data would be great to help make a decision...if it's out there😅

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Wed May 16, 2018 9:11 pm

Point 20/ is where I did all the stack testing viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3299

YannG
125cc
125cc

Post by YannG » Thu May 17, 2018 1:21 pm

Thanks Kev! Had a run through the marked page for velocity stacks as well as other discussion. Gotta say I'm still undecided.

As you say at some point you didn't upload the before/after maps for the front rc8 stack because the smoother ride at lower revs improvement was so obvious. There's also a consensus on stronger mid-range power delivery, even talks about 3rd gear wheelie thanks to that.

What's your take on the low revs with rc8 front stack, did you experience any torque loss?

I currently have wing pipes, sas, 2nd fly, mh airbox and just changed sprocket to 16/40. Didn t go for a wheelie sessoon just yet but popped a few to see the difference and could pop a 3rd gear wheelie for the 1st time...so I'm just a little affraid to lose that edge.

That being said, the bike is yet to be tuned so there's more gains to be made...only issue is that it's booked for Saturday🤓

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Thu May 17, 2018 9:15 pm

Fit the RC8 stack & try it is what I would do before you go to the Dyno, the last time I rode with that setup was 7 bikes & 5 years ago so all I am ding is referring to my note as I have modified every one of my last 7 bikes with simular testing, if you on the Dyno that's the best place to be swap the stacks around & chose the setup where you want your power.

For me I commuted with mine & wanted a smoother low end, the RC stacked helped do this, the 2nd flied removed reduced engine braking big time which was a + for me, flash off the O2 sensor or fit a O2 eliminator, a Custom map is the best way to go for any bike tune.

YannG
125cc
125cc

Post by YannG » Thu May 17, 2018 11:04 pm

I thought about trying it before the tune but read in one of the thread that the front stack was significantly leaning out the afr, but i guess a little run to clear out any doubt won't be too bad (i had the bike do a dyno run after 1st set if mods and afr is on the safe side so far btw).

I'll give it a shot today and will let you know what I'm going for before the dyno😊

I'd still have one last question for you though if that's not too much asking; just curious to know what are the 7 other bikes you went through over those past 5 years...any Nuda by any chance😅 i did go through a few myself and always seem to look for the holy grail. Last one i did really enjoy was a fs570 and it took me a while to go past the mourning period lol. The smt came after some errants and finally ticks a lot of boxes, I'm planning on keeping it for a couple years after this last mod...but always interested for info about potential next one ahah.

Anyhow, thanks again for all your help Kev, ill keep you updated with stack choice and final dyno results yeahh!

YannG
125cc
125cc

Post by YannG » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 am

Ok i gave it a 10mn run, i can feel torque down below 5000rpm and extra grunt above. This impression though might be enhanced by the surge from low to mid-range. I'm gonna go with sdt front stack, gotta say the mid-range is quite intoxicating with the rc8 stack but sdt is more linear so better for wheelie plus i usually pop 2nd around 25/30 kph so definitely affected by the rc8 stack.

Dyno results to follow next week😉 cheers!

kevxtx

Post by kevxtx » Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 am

990, 1290's & MT09's, my latest a 2018 MT09SP

Tommy
125cc
125cc
City: Vasa
Year: 2009

Post by Tommy » Sat May 19, 2018 8:58 am

Hi all,

I didn't get much response when I submitted the post below last summer. I since made one more map which I have been using now for a couple of months without any issues. I have removed the logging equipment and mounted the lambda gauge on the handle bar. Lambda mostly stays around 14,2 when cruising now. At some throttle positions and RPMs it goes as low as 13,5 and as high as 14,8, but you can't really notice when that is happening. For instance I don't get any exhaust pops whatever I do. I remember forum members have had that issue with other maps.

Lambda at bigger throttle openings is still between 12 and 13 so don't worry. :D

Anyhow just out of interest I was wondering if there are any forum members that currently are running Kevs map #20 that would be willing to try my map. Just to see how it runs on other bikes. Preferably in Europe where we have the same fuel. (I don't know how much it varies between north and south Europe)

My latest map can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/upgy27ay8wqz5 ... 7.hex?dl=0

Tommy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 pm
Thought I would share the map I have made based on Tuneecu map #20, made by Kev. I have made it by logging when riding and based on the data recorded, changed the maps accordingly. The aim have been lambda 14,2 when cruising (throttle position 2-10%) and lambda 12,8 at bigger throttle openings.

The focus have been on the smaller throttle positions because getting the full RPM register at full throttle with a decent amount of readings on the road is a bit risky. ;)
I have also noticed that it is the smaller throttle positions that need bigger corrections.

I am now on the seventh map but I still have some tuning to do. At the moment lambda is between 14 and 14,6 when cruising. I haven't noticed any downsides compared to Kevs map going this lean, so I am thinking of going even leaner. If I remember correctly map #20 was made with Autotune set to lambda 13,2 at all throttle positions.

One thing I noticed in Kevs map is that some of the throttle position curves are quite choppy. Especially the curve for 15% throttle position. This could be seen in the graph when logging as well. Lamda at 4000rpm is way too low.

Dotted line is map #20. Solid line is my map:

With my map. Now seems to be a bit rich at 4500rpm:

My setup is:
Standard Stack rear cylinder, RC8 Stack front cylinder
ITG filter
Wings cans with quietest baffles installed
2nd flies removed
SAS removed
O2 sensors disabled

If there are others with the same setup it would be interesting to hear how this map works on your bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43jndk5giyoze ... 7.hex?dl=0

Use it on your own risk :D

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex

Post by jhalfhide » Sat May 19, 2018 9:14 am

Tommy wrote:Hi all,

I didn't get much response when I submitted the post below last summer. I since made one more map which I have been using now for a couple of months without any issues. I have removed the logging equipment and mounted the lambda gauge on the handle bar. Lambda mostly stays around 14,2 when cruising now. At some throttle positions and RPMs it goes as low as 13,5 and as high as 14,8, but you can't really notice when that is happening. For instance I don't get any exhaust pops whatever I do. I remember forum members have had that issue with other maps.

Lambda at bigger throttle openings is still between 12 and 13 so don't worry. :D

Anyhow just out of interest I was wondering if there are any forum members that currently are running Kevs map #20 that would be willing to try my map. Just to see how it runs on other bikes. Preferably in Europe where we have the same fuel. (I don't know how much it varies between north and south Europe)

My latest map can be downloaded here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/upgy27ay8wqz5 ... 7.hex?dl=0

Tommy wrote:
Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:48 pm
Thought I would share the map I have made based on Tuneecu map #20, made by Kev. I have made it by logging when riding and based on the data recorded, changed the maps accordingly. The aim have been lambda 14,2 when cruising (throttle position 2-10%) and lambda 12,8 at bigger throttle openings.

The focus have been on the smaller throttle positions because getting the full RPM register at full throttle with a decent amount of readings on the road is a bit risky. ;)
I have also noticed that it is the smaller throttle positions that need bigger corrections.

I am now on the seventh map but I still have some tuning to do. At the moment lambda is between 14 and 14,6 when cruising. I haven't noticed any downsides compared to Kevs map going this lean, so I am thinking of going even leaner. If I remember correctly map #20 was made with Autotune set to lambda 13,2 at all throttle positions.

One thing I noticed in Kevs map is that some of the throttle position curves are quite choppy. Especially the curve for 15% throttle position. This could be seen in the graph when logging as well. Lamda at 4000rpm is way too low.

Dotted line is map #20. Solid line is my map:

With my map. Now seems to be a bit rich at 4500rpm:

My setup is:
Standard Stack rear cylinder, RC8 Stack front cylinder
ITG filter
Wings cans with quietest baffles installed
2nd flies removed
SAS removed
O2 sensors disabled

If there are others with the same setup it would be interesting to hear how this map works on your bike.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43jndk5giyoze ... 7.hex?dl=0

Use it on your own risk :D
Saved the hex file. Will give it a try at some point. In the U.K.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

YannG
125cc
125cc

Post by YannG » Sat May 19, 2018 10:50 am

kevxtx wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 10:48 am
990, 1290's & MT09's, my latest a 2018 MT09SP
Hi Kev, I'd actually be interested to see mods and improvements discussed around the mt09 if you run or are part of a similar forum around it? I haven't had the opportunity to try one yet unfortunately.

Dropped the bike at Tuneboy Hornsby today and will get it back next week🖒