Exhaust packing

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Exhaust packing

Post by eagle_awd » Wed May 02, 2018 6:54 pm

After 30k on the cans, they have gotten too loud (if there's such a thing) and it's time to re-pack. These cans have a steel wool that's around the perforated core. Looks like it's spot welded to the tube in few spots and it would be difficult to wound a new layer and pack it all back in. Should I go trough trouble of replacing it or just cleaning it with the air gun would suffice. Still looks like it's in a good shape

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Re: Exhaust packing

Post by jhalfhide » Wed May 02, 2018 11:27 pm

I wonder if the steel wool is there to dissipate heat and help the baffle packing last longer. In which case, clean the buildup off and crack on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

eagle_awd
Supporter
Supporter
City: Windsor
Year: 2011
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Re: Exhaust packing

Post by eagle_awd » Sun May 06, 2018 3:58 pm

You're right, I think it's there to protect the packing from blowing out too fast. I read that acrapovic has similar set-up, so will keep it on. Tried to clean it out with some air, but no use so I got some medium thickness stainless wool and wrapped it around. This material is bitch to work with, need some thick gloves to handle.

Wrapped new packing on top and slowly pressed it in. Packing I got is from Hindle for oval muffler and it fit perfect. If you're getting it somewhere else, here's handy calculator: http://www.textiletechnologies.co.uk/ac ... calculator

And like new again :) Nice sound and power is back on.