Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London
Year: 2016

Fuel Tank Removal, Emissions equipment removal for GT

Post by Tancakar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Dear All

As promised i now explain how did i remove the fuel tank to reach the airbag also how i remove all the necessary parts with it. It was all for removing the emissions equipment on the bike and free up some space and tidy up the look of the bike also better fuelling at low revs.

Unlike the Ktm Super Duke 1290, GT has completely different tank and therefore different removal. First of all, all the fuel cables and fuel pump and electrics on the front of the bike and easy to reach with out lifting the Fuel Tank. (it is advisable that the fuel tank is not full of fuel trust me its heavy even half full.)

First remove both seats and the black plastic around the ignition key. It will just pull out. Second picture will give you an idea.

you have to remove this two bolts and also two more bolts just under the side panels ( which we will remove now.)

side panel removing screws. 4 in the front face and 1 on the back.
Both sides are the same removal. after removing the screws just pull the panel twards you.

This positions of the screws.

side panels it will come with the signals.

after the side panels removed from both sides you can now reach the Tank Screws( YOU MUST REMOVE ALL FUEL LINES, AND ELECTRICS) one of the electrics, is here. you can see red and yellow.

now you are very close to lift the tank, lift the tank twoards the ignition key and then pull back. The same as the Super Duke 1290 r.

so you will have this now. Put the tank on a soft place or carpet.

The Air box is exactly the same as any 1290, infant this one has adventure written on it :)

remove all the bolts you can watch a video how to remove the air box from Rottweiler Performance, its very very easy.

after removing the first part of the box you will see your intakes. now you need to remove this two babies (with a help of trox key) on the picture.

in this point please don’t just pull the air box out, you need to first remove your SAS plugs which are near the engine (one on left one on right)

Then put your block plates :)

now you can pull your air box out as you pull it will still won’t like to come out as there are 2 cables underneath one goes to SAS motor one goes to nowhere.

Because i was outside i just put some cloth on the intakes so no dust can come in.

in this point whatever you remove you put a plug on it. SAS system comes with the electric connection so when you remove it you have to put the Rottweiler dongle on it.
This is what you will see 3 way SAS box under the air box.

so this was your SAS removal….

Now its time to remove Canister and its so easy to remove it

This is your canister. First remove the seat post screws with trox key then canister will come out. it has two cable connected to it force the canister out that 2 cable will pop out of the canister.

now you have to follow the cables one will go down to front sprocket one will go tot he right side of the engine which you will see this side and you remove the SAS equipment. Then fit this little plug ( dongle ).

AFTER CANISTER

you have lovely big space under the seat.!!!

Now its time to Remove that O2 sensor !!!!

This is the O2 sensor there are two of them and you have to remove the bottom part and chase the cable and fit the dongle. SIMPLE!

AFTER!!!

So now you can put back the airbag and the tank together just reverse everything.

for more information you might need to watch the video this is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiTcjSWy8D0

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Re: Fuel Tank Removal, Emissions equipment removal for GT

Post by Tancakar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:56 pm

By the way the last video link for KTM 1290 Super Duke R

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:31 pm

Bud, in the picture where you've got the tissues in the carbs I can only see 1 rubber seal/gasket,,the front one. Air box to carbs gasket? My back one was missing! Luckily I have a tin with this shit in and put one in. Coincidence???
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:36 pm

i had one of that just behind the air box so i had both of them. omg it was so difficult to fit the tank back on :) lol

luismna
125cc
125cc
City: Neuchatel
Year: 2017

Post by luismna » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:10 am

I cannot see the pictures... It is just me or you guys have the same problem?

Thanks.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:48 pm

luismna wrote:I cannot see the pictures... It is just me or you guys have the same problem?

Thanks.
Viewing on tapatalk, I can see the pictures no problem.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Sat Sep 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Its a good mod, I've done the same procedure, i used some of the original piping to fit on to the tank breather, and to lengthen the balance air tubes that go to the injectors. i used the Rottweiler stage 2 kit, and the 02 sensor removal plus from Rottweiler aso, the biggest bitch, is refitting the tank, its bloody tricky, it takes a few goes of giggling it into place. And after all this, the bike runs beautifully smooth still. I've also removed the originat exhaust and fitted Remus link and muffler. bike goes and sounds great.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Markey
250cc
250cc
City: Swansea
Colour: White

Post by Markey » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am

Ive just done this lot to the bike lads....Tank was the trickiest bit if im honest

The only thing i did different was to connect the 2 pipes from the throttle bodies together with one of the pipe connectors.....Having just watched the Rottweiler video i guess i should have plugged them separate ...What you think ?

Just wondering if they will try and suck air from each other ??

Ravendark
125cc
125cc
City: Athens
Year: 2018

Post by Ravendark » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:13 pm

Is the cat still on?

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:48 am

Markey wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:31 am
Ive just done this lot to the bike lads....Tank was the trickiest bit if im honest

The only thing i did different was to connect the 2 pipes from the throttle bodies together with one of the pipe connectors.....Having just watched the Rottweiler video i guess i should have plugged them separate ...What you think ?

Just wondering if they will try and suck air from each other ??
You should do them separately Markey, Theres plenty of rubber hose left over from removing the E4 shit, i extended both breathers and brought them out under the passenger seat, and placed a 6mm bolt in each to seal them.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

Markey
250cc
250cc
City: Swansea
Colour: White

Post by Markey » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 am

I have done just that Dave thanks..... and Raven, No cat as i have fitted the full system

Ravendark
125cc
125cc

Post by Ravendark » Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm

Markey wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 am
I have done just that Dave thanks..... and Raven, No cat as i have fitted the full system
Thanks for the reply Markey, can you remove all these stuff (SAS, O2, Canister) having the cat on?

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc

Post by DaveNZ » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:42 am

Ravendark wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:08 pm
Markey wrote:
Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:34 am
Thanks for the reply Markey, can you remove all these stuff (SAS, O2, Canister) having the cat on?
The SAS system is designed to work with the CAT, so you either remove both, or leave both intact.

Ravendark
125cc
125cc

Post by Ravendark » Thu Jan 11, 2018 8:23 am

thanks dave

RennyRacer
50cc
50cc
City: Kennett Square

Post by RennyRacer » Sat Mar 10, 2018 9:06 pm

That, my friends, is how you do a step by step! Thanks for pro level demo. You clarified some things not explicit in the dang manual!

AndyW
675cc
675cc
City: Weston-Super-Mare
Year: 2010

Post by AndyW » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Should be easy, disconnect fuel lines, breather pipes and electrical connectors.....undo/remove 4 mounting bolts (2 x side/underside + 2 at the back) and according to the manual...
"Raise the fuel tank at the rear slightly and remove it in a backwards direction."

Don't know what I'm doing wrong and/or if I'm just not getting the right technique but there appears to be no way the tank will come off!
See attached photos....forward part of the tank is wider than the mounting lugs on the frame that the tank fixes to, so no way it can be moved backwards nor raised enough to clear the mounting lugs??!!

WTF! :confused:

Left-hand side...

Right side....

AndyW - Uk 990 SMT Owners
>>>>>>>>https://www.facebook.com/uk.ktm990smt.owners
Bit of a 'geek' when not on the bike!...
http://www.MotorcycleInfo.co.uk

WERAracer
125cc
125cc

Post by WERAracer » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:25 pm

Tank removed with little drama (actually, just pulled up and back to allow access to top shock mount). On install, the two side large grommet/bushing mounting points on the frame have lost the threaded inserts that clipped onto the frame! Both sides, no spare parts in sight. Ya think they were never installed? My garage floor ain’t that big. Very annoying!

WERAracer
125cc
125cc

Post by WERAracer » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:52 pm

Ok, num nuts, pun intended, just found em. Under neatly organized components laid out on a large whit foam board so nothing gets misplaced!

AndyW
675cc
675cc

Post by AndyW » Sat Apr 07, 2018 1:51 am

Got there in the end....
(1) type of job to only to be done when you're in the right frame of mind 🙄
(2) empty the fuel completely....my tank was low but draining that last 5 or 6 litres helped (5 or 6 kilo less weight!)
(3) if at first you don't succeed! lol....a case of getting the tank in the right position and applying the right amount of force.
Doesn't seem right to me though that the tank, once fixings and all pipe/electrical connections have been undone, doesn't just lift away.
Clearly a design flaw the 'interference' between the tank and frame mountings....as demonstrated by marks/slight damage shown in this photo.
(by the way...I've had two previous bikes with large complex shaped 'plastic' tanks [R1200GS and MTS1200] and didn't have any problems removing them)

AndyW
675cc
675cc

Post by AndyW » Tue May 15, 2018 2:58 pm

I've had everything back together for a couple of weeks or so and been out enjoying the nice weather....loving the GT :D