125cc
125cc
City: Stirlingshire
Year: 2017
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Rizoma bar ends and Rizoma reverse retro mirrors

Post by Davo197 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:37 pm

Hi all, has anyone fitted Rizoma bar ends M534 to their 1290 Super Duke R 2017 model. I'm having a lot of difficulty tightening the screw into the bar end, the rubber expansion piece doesn't seem to be expanding when tightening. Also when I took off the original bar end its attached to a long brass rod, which looks to me like it's there for vibration purposes, I'm not too keen to remove this and replace it with a fairly light piece of rubber supplied by Rizoma. Is there maybe an additional piece/accessory that fits inside the bar end which allows the new bar end to be screwed into. I emailed Rizoma direct, no reply yet and I emailed the shop where I bought it from, no reply yet. Short of bringing in the old " improvise, adapt and overcome " skills into use I'm hoping someone out there has fitted them to their 2017 model and has the solution. Cheers.

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter
City: clemson
Year: 2015

Re: Rizoma bar ends and Rizoma reverse retro mirrors

Post by HDKAWKTM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:52 pm

Davo,

You sure don't want to pull the OEM bar end weights. I had bought CRG Lane Splitter mirrors and also the CRG adapters which meant removing the OEM weights. The high frequency vibration is numbing to say the least :shock: . I could ride maybe 30 minutes and my fingers were numb. I sold the CRG adapters and had my stock bar ends milled down to accept the CRG mirrors. No hand numbing vibration.
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HDKAWKTM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:58 pm

Here is what I did for my Lanesplitters
IMG_1228.PNG
Current Stable: 2015 SDR, 2013 Kawasaki Concours 14, 2011 Harley Ultra Limited "Clemson Tigers NCAA Football National Champs" :mrgreen:

Davo197
125cc
125cc

Post by Davo197 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi HDKAWKTM, thanks for the information and the picture, wish I'd bought the same set of mirrors you have, they look great. And they flip inwards, which I dare say is really handy.

When you milled down the original bar ends, did this not expose the bare metal, did you have to respray them. It's a good idea but getting it done might be easier said. Had an idea of cutting the rubber expansion tube to the same shape as the end of the adjoining brass anti vibration rod, then connecting the Rizoma bar ends, that way I'd be keeping the brass rod in place.. It was just a thought and maybe a last resort.

Also where did you get your rear seat cover? Is that carbon fibre, glossy?

Thanks for your help.

HDKAWKTM
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HDKAWKTM » Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:39 pm

Davo
Your correct the metal was exposed but I taped off the area not cut and sprayed it. The CRG mirror clamps cover it all up. It actually looks factory imho.
The rear seat is the KTM rear cowling.

Davo197
125cc
125cc

Post by Davo197 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi HDKAWKTM,
I managed to track down a weighted bar end accessory made by Rizoma for the exact purpose that I require. I hasten to add Rizoma were of little help. I ended up phoning a company somewhere in middle England, which as it turns out were really helpful. I ordered the part and it's on it way to sunny Scotland. Just need to wait and see if it works, feeling almost confident.
Thanks for the info on your rear seat cowling. Looks great, i need to get one.
Thanks for your help, again, if it all works out I'll post a photo of my bike if I can manage to work out how to actually do that.

Cheers. Take care.

NixK7
125cc
125cc
City: Cumbria

Post by NixK7 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:21 pm

I had the same problem with Puig barend mirrors, they come with new bar ends, but are far to light compared to the stock ones with the brass weights.

My solution was to make a new set of barends that were not tapered to allow the mirror clamp to fit properly but with a tapered end to allow me to screw the stock weights back on.