Kev's 1290 modification list

Tancakar
675cc
675cc
City: London
Year: 2016

Re: Kev's 1290 modification list

Post by Tancakar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:06 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Who told you they were discontinued?

I bought a brand new P-KAT-006/3 from RZracing.nl & had it sent to Australia

Maybe they have recently been discontinued?
yes all of them discontinued except P-KAT-006/3

so its 119 Euros , a lot of money. Can you tell me what will be the difference ?

P-Kat-006/3 is i guess 58 mm DM

mine :

P-Kat-028 is 61 mm DM

Both 200 core mine is a little longer then the sort 006/3 but comparing to the OEM CAT its tiny.

It has been fitted long time now and obviusly i have done Custom map for the bike. What is the worst thing can happen ?

and everyone saying i should have fit it very close to the end of the link pipe and end of the slip on. i fitted mine just 4-5 inch in.
15541665_10154439923849145_1673832372404087120_n.jpg
15621616_10154439923954145_2697333847695010607_n_Ink_LI.jpg
Attachments
15621616_10154439923954145_2697333847695010607_n.jpg

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc
City: NSW NORTH COAST
Year: 2015
Colour: Black

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:08 pm

I would have to check the price I paid but yeah they are not cheap

The main difference being 58mm OD is the fact that you can just literally slide it into the link pipe with no welding or modification required at all
Also the catalytic converter on almost all vehicles etc is as far forward towards the motor as possible typically

Much like the stock cat with the core being fitted directly after the header join this is the ideal spot to put it
As you can see in Kev's pic he fitted one into the front of a Bodis link pipe so the cat is sitting where the link pipe meets the headers
c_zpsc4527963.jpg~original.jpg
Never said anything bad will happen, my main point was the ease of fitment using the correct cat to slide into the pipe, the only other difference would be the tiny difference in length with yours being longer which will hardly have any affect really

They both still work & im sure yours does the job of reducing the sound & creating a bit of needed back pressure & reducing emission output as a bonus

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:16 pm

Whoa, :shock: just noticed the position of your muffler

Who did the welding / fitting the cat & why has the muffler position been moved back like that???

Absolutely no need for that either, the link pipe should have had the same distance as the cat length cut out then the cat welded in & the muffler left in the original position

Sorry I am an Automotive exhaust fitter / welder myself & just cant stand to see things like this, it is not only just plain wrong but the muffler cannot be supported 100% like that, it obviously hasn't fallen off yet but there is no other way to put it other than....wrong

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:47 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Whoa, :shock: just noticed the position of your muffler

Who did the welding / fitting the cat & why has the muffler position been moved back like that???

Absolutely no need for that either, the link pipe should have had the same distance as the cat length cut out then the cat welded in & the muffler left in the original position

Sorry I am an Automotive exhaust fitter / welder myself & just cant stand to see things like this, it is not only just plain wrong but the muffler cannot be supported 100% like that, it obviously hasn't fallen off yet but there is no other way to put it other than....wrong
the Remus pipe never fitted 100 % anyway it always looked similar to me . Yes i went to stainless steel welders and their job is shit . cost me £120 as well :(

do you think i am hurting the engine ? i am asking you as you seem to know it. And will putting the cat slightly off like that make any extra vibration ? everything seems to work very well.

My only problem is Throttle bodies adjustment.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:41 pm

SUPERDUKEINOZ wrote:Whoa, :shock:

Sorry I am an Automotive exhaust fitter / welder myself the muffler cannot be supported 100% like that, it obviously hasn't fallen off yet but there is no other way to put it other than....wrong
Why would the muffler fall off, I'm puzzled ?

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:05 pm

Yes very sad that you cant trust someone to do a simple job like welding the cat in position, the muffler should have been bolted onto the bracket in its original position then the link pipe should have had the cat welded into position leaving the muffler in the correct spot, I would have been very hesitant to pay for that?

The muffler bracket has 1 bolt hole for the muffler as the weight it holds normally should be a small amount buy you have gone & pushed the muffler back another 100mm or so & now it has a lot more leverage & there is simply more weight past the original mount therefore more weight & leverage, no other way to look at it
Im guessing you are now using the 2 bolts on the pillion peg mount to mount the extra plate type bracket that holds the muffler

It still works, plenty of people have done a similar thing running a bracket off the muffler due to an incorrect length muffler etc but that would really annoy me & I would fix it ASAP

As for damage to your motor it will be fine im sure, a little bit of back pressure from the cat would be better than running it fully open with no back pressure & noisy like lots of people do

The reason to position the cat further forward where the header pipe is to make the cat work as intended more efficiently, the cat needs heat to work so the further forward the quicker it will heat up & do its job, its less likely to clog up with carbon over time the further forward it is also

When you say a custom map are you running a PCV?

Tancakar
675cc
675cc

Post by Tancakar » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:58 pm

the muffler still have one bolt and its not heavy at all. All i was worried about if i am damaging the engine but i can see you are saying, it wont hurt the cat but the cat needs to be more close to the heat to warm up quickly to work efficient. The lenght of the pipe exactly the same , this bike is a GT :)

yes i do run with power commander 5 ;)

its a GT
IMG_3483.JPG

SUPERDUKEINOZ
250cc
250cc

Post by SUPERDUKEINOZ » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 pm

OH its a GT well that would explain the muffler mount bracket setup, would have been a great time to shorten the link pipe & sit the muffler in the Superduke original position, will be fine though as is of course

KiT
500cc
500cc
City: Denver

Post by KiT » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:26 pm

Browsed through the thread until past the Rotty airbox install and never saw the stock airbox weighed. Is it heavy?

steve59
675cc
675cc
City: chicago
Year: 2010

Post by steve59 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:05 pm

I tried to follow the thread best I could but i'm not clear on page 16 the results of the bodis link . My butt dyno felt a suckout of midrange power with the stock map and I think I had a K&N at the time with the bodis, but I felt an improvement in power after the akra map was installed. Was the map on the day the bodis was dyno'd stock or custom and did you retry the bodis with other maps?
My modded bikes gone and i'm about to do the same mods on my new 2016 but if the power gain i was feeling was just shorter throttle pull i'll save my money and quit telling anybody who'll listen to buy a link pipe. tks for any clarity
Enjoy

pinki225
50cc
50cc
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by pinki225 » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:18 am

Thank for letting me come in on this group, I have picked up my 2016 Duke from a dealer in San Antonio, TX they said that they will not give me any warranty, as they are not KTM dealers and the bike was a trade in.

I said that it was fine as there are not lot of them going around here in Houston, TX and ridding 3hr to get the bike. anyway I have found a KTM dealer that service it, I have read the post here about the tail light which has happened to myself, told the dealer that I would like it replaced... They said they would check with the Manufacturer if there is a re-coll on this part..

I went to pick my Duke up asked about the tail light they said there is no re-coll on that part, so I'm I stuck with paying for a new light or is there a way that I can get in touch with KTM to get this sorted. I believe that these bikes have a 2yr manufacturer warranty, or is that info wrong..

Any advices would be helpful,
pinki225 Houston,TX

crazyinp
675cc
675cc
City: San Jose

Post by crazyinp » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:44 am

pinki225 wrote:Thank for letting me come in on this group, I have picked up my 2016 Duke from a dealer in San Antonio, TX they said that they will not give me any warranty, as they are not KTM dealers and the bike was a trade in.

I said that it was fine as there are not lot of them going around here in Houston, TX and ridding 3hr to get the bike. anyway I have found a KTM dealer that service it, I have read the post here about the tail light which has happened to myself, told the dealer that I would like it replaced... They said they would check with the Manufacturer if there is a re-coll on this part..

I went to pick my Duke up asked about the tail light they said there is no re-coll on that part, so I'm I stuck with paying for a new light or is there a way that I can get in touch with KTM to get this sorted. I believe that these bikes have a 2yr manufacturer warranty, or is that info wrong..

Any advices would be helpful,
pinki225 Houston,TX
I used some epoxy to fix it, can't find the pictures for some reason. There are few ways to do it, either works fine. Some dremel'd the old one epoxy small threaded bushings. Btw KTM warranty is only 12months and those were never recalled. Although KTM did update the tail light. There is new part number now.
______
In the Garage:
2015 KTM Superduke 1290R
2013 Ducati Panigale R

pinki225
50cc
50cc
City: Houston
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by pinki225 » Fri Aug 04, 2017 6:16 pm

Alright Kev's I will look at doing that & fixing it that way.

Cheers for the advice

Pinkie225

Brendan
50cc
50cc
City: Gold coast
Colour: Silver
Model: SMT

Post by Brendan » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:29 am

Hi kev
I popped in to see Steve at Dyno shop in Nerang with my standard ktm gt and told him what i wanted to achieve wich was
I'm not chasing horse power but would like to make it breath a bit freer and hopefully make the top gears more usable snatchy below 5500 rpm tried front sprocket mod but I found it made it more responsive ( touchy ) on the throttle not as bad as my wife's mt 09 but still didn't like it
Same as all euro 4 bikes they will obviously be very lean
His suggestion is get the db killer removed out of standard end can (prob not worth price of Akro end can or others for no real gains )
As I cannot put full pipe on gt with panniers and would probably not meet design brief to go touring with a loud pipe
Other suggestion is k&n filter and map then see if that works and if needed pop back and get a power commando and dyno run
So as he suggested I am asking if you have done maps for the gt
Sorry about long post hope you can help
Thanks from brendan

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:18 am

Fit all the mods you want, then get Steve to supply a PCV or buy your own then get Steve to build you a custom PCV map built on our fuels for your bike, the rewards of a custom map is well worth the money.

gs_rrmotorrad
125cc
125cc
City: Los Angeles

Post by gs_rrmotorrad » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am

kevxtx wrote:
Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:03 am
On Sunday I also ran a ACC wiring loom to the head light so I can install a water proof 12V ACC socket for my GPS.

The ACC wiring wires are tucked down the right side below all the looms, Black/Red ignition switched, Yellow/Red battery + not ignition switched always on.
Thank you for that info, I was trying to installed dash cam, this acc1 & acc2 power trigger switch info you just provided help greatly.

Bagsweat
125cc
125cc
City: Vancouver

Post by Bagsweat » Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:23 am

Hey Kev,

When you cut the tube just past the weld, I’m assuming it either pulled right out or you had to take the can off and slide it out the other way?

I took my stock can off my 17 and had a friend fab up a tip (much like the Bursig model here http://xtcommerce.motorradteile-bursig. ... uke-r-2014)

Wow what a db difference! For 2017 KTM really increases the flow of the stock cat, so i was impressed with the difference.

My first choice would be the Akra Shorty that fits the BMW 1000RR. It looks epic on the bike - like it was made for it. but I’ll be damned if I’m paying $1k for a slip on.

This mod of yours seems just right if it gives a nice bass-ey rumble.

kevxtx wrote:
Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:35 am
You could use a cutting disc or a dremel, I used my die grinder & a cutting tool.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Dremel-High- ... 29fb5aceb9
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/6Pc-Rotary-c ... 1e882d94dd

If you look inside the pipe from the rear of the can you will see a weld about 60mm down the DB pipe, I cut the DB pipe just the other side of that weld, I cut a groove from the exit hole all the way around the DB pipe until it broke free, no need to strip the can to do this mod.

You are removing this pipe, but without stripping the can.

guscycle2001
50cc
50cc
City: Rio Grande

Post by guscycle2001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:03 pm

Hi there my name is Gus from Puerto Rico
i am new to the site and i see you have done lots of mods to your KTM SuperDuke
9 jave an 2014 and have an issue i did some mods
Like pair valve , Air box mod and PVC
The bike started but when i went to ride and put first gear it shut of on me tried a few times and same thing later i noticed neutral light was off then after it wouldnt turn over, bike been at dealer for over a month and no luck on cranking the bike, hope you can guide me or help me in this isssue.
Thanks Gus

guscycle2001
50cc
50cc
City: Rio Grande

Post by guscycle2001 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:19 pm

BTW NICE MODS!!!!