Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

Hello !

Post by MatteSMT » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:49 am

Hello everyone,
Fresh meat...newbie...that's me !
Just bought a used 2010 black & orange SMT
It's wintertime here so I have not ridden it on the street yet...just up and down in a parking lot before buyng it.
Taking a chance on this one in terms of not having test ridden. Not worried though, it seems pretty mint.
So as you may imagine, I have many questions about this machine. I do all my own maintenance and like to fiddle, been doing that for 30 years on differen bikes.
Eager to learn all about this model.
I look forward to gaining from your experience and will gladly contribute any way I can going forward.

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Re: Hello !

Post by Yoozy » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Orite mate ;)
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:26 pm

I moved this to the correct section of the forum Matt so you may get more replies :)

Muppet
City: Bath

Post by Muppet » Wed Feb 10, 2016 9:26 pm

It's good that you're going to go forward. Going backwards, whilst not technically impossible, is definitely tricky and should really be avoided.

Standing still is just boring, so forwards is your best bet. :? :mrgreen:

Welcome! Enjoy........ :ugeek:
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

MatteSMT
125cc
125cc
City: Montreal

Post by MatteSMT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:22 am

Thanks Moderator, for moving my intro.

I am enjoyng surfing around this site. Some great information to be gained as we'll as some good humour.

Been a long time since I've been so pumped about a new bike !
Like I said, have not ridden it out on the roads yet because I just recently bought it. Right now it's -24 Degrees C in Montreal so it will be a little while yet. Good time to learn as much as I can about the bike.
I needed to do SOMETHING with the bloody bike so I installed a set of Oxford Heaterz a few days ago. (A must for the factory defective circulation in my hands)

For the fellow from Bath, England I have a quick story about Bath..
A while back on a business trip to Bristol, England I was driving from Hethrow airport to Bristol and decided to make a detour and visit Stonehenge. Well, I got lost, never found it and ended up in a town called Bath. Im no historian but I did recall somethng about Roman baths...so as I looked for a place to park the car, I spotted a pub....It was near the end of a very long day flying from Canada, walking all around London then driving a few hours in the same day..I was parched. Needed a beer desperately. Long story short, I met some fine gentlemen and dranke some fine beer in that pub.
Someday I will return and check out the baths ;)

Now I need to figure out how to post a photo of my new ride

Muppet
City: Bath

Post by Muppet » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:43 pm

MatteSMT wrote:Thanks Moderator, for moving my intro.

I am enjoyng surfing around this site. Some great information to be gained as we'll as some good humour.

Been a long time since I've been so pumped about a new bike !
Like I said, have not ridden it out on the roads yet because I just recently bought it. Right now it's -24 Degrees C in Montreal so it will be a little while yet. Good time to learn as much as I can about the bike.
I needed to do SOMETHING with the bloody bike so I installed a set of Oxford Heaterz a few days ago. (A must for the factory defective circulation in my hands)

For the fellow from Bath, England I have a quick story about Bath..
A while back on a business trip to Bristol, England I was driving from Hethrow airport to Bristol and decided to make a detour and visit Stonehenge. Well, I got lost, never found it and ended up in a town called Bath. Im no historian but I did recall somethng about Roman baths...so as I looked for a place to park the car, I spotted a pub....It was near the end of a very long day flying from Canada, walking all around London then driving a few hours in the same day..I was parched. Needed a beer desperately. Long story short, I met some fine gentlemen and dranke some fine beer in that pub.
Someday I will return and check out the baths ;)

Now I need to figure out how to post a photo of my new ride
You must have come the scenic route then, rather than along the motorway (M4), but it was a good place to get lost at! Let me know if you do come back over, and I'll happily show you around. It's very touristy, but as with any city (and Bath is very small, compared to most cities), it has it's good and bad bits, but it's mostly a very nice place to be.

Enjoy the bike.
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

MatteSMT
125cc
125cc

Post by MatteSMT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:13 am

Thanks for the offer. I appreciate that.
England was a fantastic place to visit, everyone so welcoming. I would love to return some day.
Awesome country roads. Must be awesome on a bike.

In the meantime, my first bike trip this spring will be across Eastern Ontario into Central Ontario's cottage country. Cant wait to put some serious miles on my SMT !
Looking for somethng to do today, I spent some time detail cleaning the bike. That stock rear hugger is so small it appears useless. The shock, swingarm was filthy. An extended hugger may be in order at some point.

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012

Post by limeyduffa » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:20 am

MatteSMT wrote:...
Welcome to the forum Matt. I've owned my 2012 SMT for 4 years now and still love it. Treat it like a dirt bike boolean throttle is the best way (it's not a fan of constant revs). Use the recommended oil and check the clutch oil jet (or even better bore it out to 0.4-0.5mm) to ensure smooth gear changes. The 5.1 brake fluid is very hydroscopic, so I recommend changing it when it starts going cloudy (if before the service interval). You can reduce it doing this by making sure the fluid reservoirs are dry. I use a sweat band for the front brake res. Hope that helps :)

Got a work colleague going back to Canada for his old man's birthday. He always complains that he can't find Canadian beer in Australia. So that's the first thing he is going to do is march into the first bottlo and buy a 6 pack of Moosehead. I asked him if he would bring me back one. I live in hope :D

Dad
125cc
125cc
City: KUNGäLV

Post by Dad » Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 pm

Welcome Matte,

congratulations, the SMT will make your smile a lot wider. Limey's comment "not a fan of constant revs" and riding it like a dirt bike is spot on. On constant throttle it's as cultivated as my Husky 510 TE -91...
SMT 2011 (Wings, SAS mod, belly pan, Giwi panniers)
Husqvarna: 510 TE -91, 430 WR -81, 250CR -82...

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Tue Mar 08, 2016 9:13 am

Welcome mate.

MatteSMT
125cc
125cc

Post by MatteSMT » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:07 am

Thanks for the maintenance tips !
I had nothing to do during a snow storm a couple of weeks ago, so I took the clutch plates out and inspected everything. All measurements good, including spring free length. Of course I did that before I saw the tip about checking the oil jet. Oh well, I'll do that soon.
I slapped on a new set of Dunlop Q3s, oil & filter change, installed a set of Oxford heated grips, adjusted the hand and foot controls to my liking and set all suspension settings to standard as a starting point for my liking.
FINALLY been able to get out and ride it since the weather cleared. Messy roads and hovering around the freezing point but rideable. So far I have only put about 400 kms (250 miles) I love it. Great bike. Like riding a dirt bike. I am thouroughly impressed with the suspension that soaks up everythng like riding on a cloud.
I see what you mean about not liking to sit at the same rev for very long...she just wants to get up and go ! Similar to my RC51, wanting to climb in revs...unlike the VTR1000 I used to own which was happy loafing along at any given rpm all day long.
My SMT has 16-41 fnal gearing, which I find a bit too short. Revs out too fast on the highway for my liking. At a decent cruising speed of 115 kms /hr it is buzzing up over 4500 rpm. I think a 17 tooth front is in order. I have no issue sacrificing a bit of take off grunt to be able to spend a bit more time in between shifts and vibrate less on the highway. Has anyone else done this ? Worth while ?
On another subject, With my Givi case mounted on the rack and the stock side panniers ready to go, I am hype for my May road trip. As a matter of fact, I am already scheming to ride down to USA's Virginia / Tennessee region to ride the Blue Ridge mountain road and as many of the twisties as I can squeeze in. I'll do some forum searching first then possibly start a Blue Ridge thread.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane

Post by kevxtx » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:46 am

MatteSMT wrote:Thanks for the maintenance tips !
I had nothing to do during a snow storm a couple of weeks ago, so I took the clutch plates out and inspected everything. All measurements good, including spring free length. Of course I did that before I saw the tip about checking the oil jet. Oh well, I'll do that soon.
I slapped on a new set of Dunlop Q3s, oil & filter change, installed a set of Oxford heated grips, adjusted the hand and foot controls to my liking and set all suspension settings to standard as a starting point for my liking.
FINALLY been able to get out and ride it since the weather cleared. Messy roads and hovering around the freezing point but rideable. So far I have only put about 400 kms (250 miles) I love it. Great bike. Like riding a dirt bike. I am thouroughly impressed with the suspension that soaks up everythng like riding on a cloud.
I see what you mean about not liking to sit at the same rev for very long...she just wants to get up and go ! Similar to my RC51, wanting to climb in revs...unlike the VTR1000 I used to own which was happy loafing along at any given rpm all day long.
My SMT has 16-41 fnal gearing, which I find a bit too short. Revs out too fast on the highway for my liking. At a decent cruising speed of 115 kms /hr it is buzzing up over 4500 rpm. I think a 17 tooth front is in order. I have no issue sacrificing a bit of take off grunt to be able to spend a bit more time in between shifts and vibrate less on the highway. Has anyone else done this ? Worth while ?
On another subject, With my Givi case mounted on the rack and the stock side panniers ready to go, I am hype for my May road trip. As a matter of fact, I am already scheming to ride down to USA's Virginia / Tennessee region to ride the Blue Ridge mountain road and as many of the twisties as I can squeeze in. I'll do some forum searching first then possibly start a Blue Ridge thread.
Sounds like you are having fun, not many guys go up a tooth we have all gone down from 17 to 16T

MatteSMT
125cc
125cc

Post by MatteSMT » Sat Apr 02, 2016 3:03 am

Yes, I see most guys are going down to shorter gearing.
It all comes down to personal preference when talking about riding style on the street.
For example my RC51 has super tall gearing which I enjoy on the race track and that I have grown accustomed to when riding it on the street.
My XR250R On the other hand has super short gearing because I do a lot of tight single track riding, including hilly terrain where it climbs hills like a billy goat and compensates for not being a powerhouse of a bike.
So for the street, My preference is taller gearing. I will give it a try on this bike. Worse case, I switch back.

Great ride home from work today !
image.jpg

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Apr 03, 2016 2:31 am

Hi Matt, The 2006 990 Superduke came with a 17/38 ratio and I really loved this tall gearing. I could easily go back to this ratio again. I have stuck to the default 17:41 for my 2012 SMT, not because of the drive, but because I do lot slower riding now days (town traffic, country speed limits etc). Mechanics isn't my field, but I believe source/load matching principles apply (similar to electronics). For maximum power transfer (and acceleration) will require load matching via the front and back sprocket sizes. If max acceleration is what a rider is after, then their weight will have the say on what that ratio should be.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Apr 05, 2016 7:15 pm

Hey MatteSMT!

Have a look at this thread, were you can find some interesting information about 17/38 vs. 17/41:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6492&start=10

/Magic
-

MatteSMT
125cc
125cc

Post by MatteSMT » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:25 am

Thanks for the feedback and thread guys. I did see that thread in my searches, which has good info. Im taking it all in so as to make an informed decision.

By the way, this forum is awesome because the thread about drilling a small hole in the bottom of the swing arms to drain water is 100% valid. I am a bit OCD about washing my bikes often so I figured my SMT was at risk of developing seized adjuster bolts sooner than later. Wel...I wish I had photographed all the water that pissed out of my swingarm. Yowsa. So thanks guys ! :D