Mikeylikesit
675cc
675cc
City: Victoria
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Re: Yet another seat thread

Post by Mikeylikesit » Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:08 pm

+1 on the airhawk. I used one on a 5000km trip in october and never really thought about my ass the whole time. so it worked!
I started with the stock seat.....then I got out the carving knife and trimmed and flattened it a bit. That was better than the stocker for me and my 31in inseam. Then I recently bought a Seatconcepts foam and cover. Its similar to my stock shaved one but much more professionally done. I like it but its not leaps and bounds better that what I had. so after all this I will still take the airhawk on long trips. I think the bottom line is that the stock smt seat is pretty good.

LenFerguson
990cc
990cc
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014
Colour: Black

Yet another seat thread

Post by LenFerguson » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:25 am

I found the air hawk was a bit of a worry for me when starting to ride a bit more aggressively. I think it would be fine for just cruising along but when you start to up the anti a bit it really unbalanced me and I felt like I just could move my weight around to set myself up for corners.
Current stable: KTM1290SDR(14), KTM1190ADVENTURE(14), BMWS1000RR(12), KTM690R(12), Husky TE250(13)

Previously loved: KTM990SMT(11), WR450F(10), F800GS(09), KLR650(08), KTM450EXC(05) FJR1300(04), KTM200EXC(03), XR400(03), CBR1000F(90), XR600(88), KR1(86)

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter
City: Livermore California

Post by Bootworks » Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:59 am

ohpyramids wrote:I had a sargent on my ducati. It was a slippery mess. Very tough, but at least it was flat. Also the build quality and fit of my stock seat cowl onto the sargent was a joke. In the end I spend less money on a ducati touring seat made out of dense foam and it was brilliant.
Perfect illustration of "One man's Hell, another's Heaven"

Years ago, having tried most everything out there (including 'Corbin's ride-in custom) I was resigned. An opportunity came up, jumped on plane in San Francisco and flew to Atlanta to pick up a cream-puff Ducati. The seller had over-farkled and, among the many goodies he'd installed a Sargent. I don't know why, but I had never heard of the Florida saddle maker. The first day on the road was a revelation! That night I fired up a browser and looked up their Site: Something about "Atomic Foam" and "Carbon FX". The seams were superb, welting did not rub or chaff, the damned thing was perfectly leveled and subtly dished...I had finally found butt-bliss!

28,000 miles later that beloved Ducati was sold. It is now in Ontario, Canada, still making a rider happy. As for me, two of my current bikes sport 'Sargents', (the other has a 'KonTour'). Both the MV and the SMT were done by the "Custom Division", after I measured and leveled everything and placed painter's blue tape all over, indicating what was to be done and how. Ironically, although their build quality is as good or better than anything out there, the "Custom Division" charged me a fraction of what a custom saddle normally costs. (Trick is to do it in the off-Season!) The SMT has seen numerous 500 mile days, including an 800 miler once. But the real treat are the twisties, allowing enough movement without being slick.

When newly founded 'Motus' was looking for a saddle to compliment their MST V4 ($36K!) motorcycles they had many choices. As expected, this will be a bike that comes with the best, stock. Guess what saddle is stock on the 'Motus'?

A month ago I picked up a '12 Ducati 'Pikes Peak'. By Christmas (again, "off-Season") it will have a new saddle!

Neilc
125cc
125cc
City: geelong
Year: 2013
Colour: Silver

Post by Neilc » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:19 pm

OK I have read this hole thread my problem with the stock seat is I keep sliding ford the seat slops ford and all the aftermarket seats appear to address this problem to some degree but my biggest complaint is the passenger seat it is truly terrible and after all this bike is a SMT you know T for TRAVEL and I like company SO how makes the best passenger seat the seat concepts is a very good price but I emailed them and they seed they don't improve the passenger area any suggestions

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Fri Feb 28, 2014 10:04 pm

Neilc wrote:this bike is a SMT you know T for TRAVEL and I like company
I like company too. Preferably on a similar bike.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:01 am

Neilc wrote:OK I have read this hole thread my problem with the stock seat is I keep sliding ford the seat slops ford and all the aftermarket seats appear to address this problem to some degree but my biggest complaint is the passenger seat it is truly terrible and after all this bike is a SMT you know T for TRAVEL and I like company SO how makes the best passenger seat the seat concepts is a very good price but I emailed them and they seed they don't improve the passenger area any suggestions
Nelic, discussing seats, like boots and windshields, is like comparing prescription glasses. So I realize what works for me may not work for you. But, here it goes anyhow. 'Sargent' has a custom seat service, prices are very reasonable (considering) and they will individualize the build for you. You use masking tape (and a level) at various points of the seat and write on the tape what you want to accomplish in that area. Provide them with your dimensions & weight, and ship them your stock seat. Their 'Carbon FX' marine grade vinyl and 'Atomic Foam' is highly recommended.
The transformation is remarkable! I have 5 bikes, each with a custom seat, and this is by far the best by any metric.
http://www.sargentcycle.com/Custom-Seat-Services/

Neilc
125cc
125cc
City: geelong
Year: 2013
Colour: Silver

Post by Neilc » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:32 am

You are wright that not all seats fit everyone but most new bikes seam to have the same problem experience by most people the rider seats all slop ford and the passenger seats are designed for aesthetics not to sit on hence a thriving aftermarket seat industry BMW used to have proper seats but my last one was not as comfortable as the SMT so even Mr practical BMW have lost the plot on some models

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:32 am

When I first laid eyes on my new SMT I remember thinking: "The dirt DNA is evident: They expect you'll be standing on the pegs, and besides the shifter is set too high, as if to accommodate MX boots." The stock seat cover hardly touched the foam beneath, tensioned but not taylored to follow the contour. It was evident that, although all other components were top shelf, the seat was -at best- an afterthought. But, at 12 1/2" wide at the widest point tapering to the tank, the pan had all the underpinnings to become both a performance perch and a comfort platform for extended mileage.

I only mention that because not all pans lend themselves to simple mods with glorious results. My '12 Multistrada Pikes Peak, as an example, has a saddle with such serious ergonomic flaws that a re-design has become a much larger project. The process has been challenging enough, that the resulting analysis and data gathering has me considering entering the industry upon retirement to fill a gap I don't believe is currently addressed by the current crop of saddle makers, many of which opt for a 'bucket' which functions only when upright but restricts lateral motion. Backstops, likewise, are often ill thought though, and restrict longitudinal motion dynamics and cause compensation affecting the riders' triangle and joint-angle relationships with respect to controls. Foam densities and layering, as well as proper sculpting, rarely address riders' weight and anatomical shape, and they seem to ignore ischial tuberosities' requirements, creating points of pressure and reduced blood flow to the area.

You're right, motorcycle manufacturers nowadays don't seem to have a clue about one of the most important control components in the products they make: The seats!

Bear990
675cc
675cc
City: Newcastle
Year: 2012

Post by Bear990 » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:57 am

Bootworks wrote:When I first laid eyes on my new SMT I remember thinking: "The dirt DNA is evident: They expect you'll be standing on the pegs, and besides the shifter is set too high, as if to accommodate MX boots." The stock seat cover hardly touched the foam beneath, tensioned but not taylored to follow the contour. It was evident that, although all other components were top shelf, the seat was -at best- an afterthought. But, at 12 1/2" wide at the widest point tapering to the tank, the pan had all the underpinnings to become both a performance perch and a comfort platform for extended mileage.

I only mention that because not all pans lend themselves to simple mods with glorious results. My '12 Multistrada Pikes Peak, as an example, has a saddle with such serious ergonomic flaws that a re-design has become a much larger project. The process has been challenging enough, that the resulting analysis and data gathering has me considering entering the industry upon retirement to fill a gap I don't believe is currently addressed by the current crop of saddle makers, many of which opt for a 'bucket' which functions only when upright but restricts lateral motion. Backstops, likewise, are often ill thought though, and restrict longitudinal motion dynamics and cause compensation affecting the riders' triangle and joint-angle relationships with respect to controls. Foam densities and layering, as well as proper sculpting, rarely address riders' weight and anatomical shape, and they seem to ignore ischial tuberosities' requirements, creating points of pressure and reduced blood flow to the area.

You're right, motorcycle manufacturers nowadays don't seem to have a clue about one of the most important control components in the products they make: The seats!
I think you are right. My ischial tuberosities are killing me... :D

1coolbanana
500cc
500cc
City: Kenthurst
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: Adventure

Post by 1coolbanana » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:31 am

I have a 990 Adventure and its one of the most confy seats of any bike Ive ever had, not exactly comfortable but I can do 700klm's a day over multiple days and not be crippled. Thats after riding BMW's for a few years which I found less comfortable.
When I got the SMT I was dubious about its long distance comfort but I have to say, although its not that comfortable initially, I just forget about it and can still do 500klms a day over a few days and not have a problem.
I dont pillion.....ever, so thats no concern to me!

I think its really an individual thing, every bodies arse is different and to be honest, of the dozens of bikes I had over the years, these KTM arent bad at all.
All boils down to your butt and every body has a different one.

You guys should trying riding a KTM 640, now thats a jack hammer and your sitting on the wrong side of a 2 x 4, pain plus!

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm inclined to agree with Bootworks. I need to get on with my project to widen the pillion on my seat. Tapers to the rear in width and in foam. Not going to get the Mrs to go very often that way. I figure that widening the pan by cutting back the side panels, then presenting a roughed in block of foam (either the 'pink panel' insulation or attempt to use the foam -- nah, just rough the hard panel). Already bought a used 'comfort' seat so the original pan can be hacked as needed. Probably end up with a fiberglass base with metal rods/hooks for the front edge (bend to fit that way). Unsure (at this time) how the latch assy fits, but I figure it will be obvious on inspection what the next step needs to be for that.
I figured the stock rack was going away anyhow, as the seat will likely impede on that area. And it is so small anyhow. I mounted a backrest on it and it ended up in the middle of it anyhow. All in context/big picture.

Now to find some 'spare' side panels to modify.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:58 pm

1coolbanana wrote:When I got the SMT I was dubious about its long distance comfort but I have to say, although its not that comfortable initially, I just forget about it and can still do 500klms a day over a few days and not have a problem.
Likewise, I initially found the SMT seat a bit of a plank, as mentioned when I wrote the first post in this thread a couple of years ago. I got used to it, and I can do 8 to 12 hours in the saddle (which could be anything from 200 to 700 miles depending on the roads) and feel OK at the end of it.

The best advice I can offer to anyone finding it a bit uncomfortable at first is "man up, ladies".
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Bootworks
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Bootworks » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:21 am

ogden wrote:The best advice I can offer to anyone finding it a bit uncomfortable at first is "man up, ladies".
The 500 mile marker nears, your voice two octaves higher now, the anatomical significance of the changes taking place now occupying your mind, and you wonder: Is this a joyous ride or a sex-change operation? No, not ready to become an organ donor yet. Not THAT organ, not today. :lol:

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:44 am

The seat is better than at least a couple of bikes I've owned. But now I can afford to feel something other than my aching arse. And not be riding a porky pig of a bike. At least this one will get me 200 miles in a sitting (if I get some decent riding in before the trial). I'm tired of having bikes that make me look forward to the reserve light (or switch to reserve). This bike can be better -- just a little dinero (versus what we spend on other things).
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Igoslo
125cc
125cc
City: Louisville

Post by Igoslo » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:14 am

After reading through this thread and doing a little research I called James Renazco. He's booked until mid September, but that is when he starts building my seat. I hope what everyone says is right...