Palmer Products Screen

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Palmer Products Screen

Post by Muppet » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:43 pm

Anyone ever tried one of the screens and adjusters from Ian Palmer, based in Essex? (UK)

I've got one on my Ulysses and it made a lot of difference, so was thinking of getting one for my SMT, but would be useful to hear if any of you guys have had/got one?

Website here:

http://www.palmerproducts.co.uk/

Just navigate to KTM under Accessories and you'll see the screen.

You Tube vid of the adjustment available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DU2BB3ZneI

(Note it's NOT an SMT ;) )

£57 for the mounting kit, then a further £70, £80 or £90 for the screen depending on size isn't cheap, but it is good quality stuff. I have a Givi touring screen and extra lip thing on my bike but still get a but of turbulence unless I duck down slightly, so this may work.

Waddya think?
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

falcon4
675cc
675cc
City: FAYETTEVILLE
Year: 2010

Re: Palmer Products Screen

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:25 pm

some have had luck with that I think, but not a sure thing like I'd hoped to find.
Let me know how it goes. I'm thinking of going CalSci....at least for winter and
longer trips.

Gary C
125cc
125cc
City: Winnipeg
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Post by Gary C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm

I bought one a couple of months back. It is adjustable, very well made and offers more wind protection than the stock screen. It is significantly quieter but I was still disappointed. I then realized that a lot of the problem was air coming up from around the lower fairing and tank creating loud buffeting noises from the bottom of my helmet. I made up a set of deflectors and that solved the problem. Except when faced with cross winds I now have a fairly quiet ride and no wind blast, just a gentle flow of air coming up from the open area around the forks triple tree and across the very top of my helmet. You need anyway for ventilation. I am 5', 10" and ordered the medium screen.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:50 pm

Is this what you were looking at?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5731

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:00 pm

Gary C wrote:I bought one a couple of months back. It is adjustable, very well made and offers more wind protection than the stock screen. It is significantly quieter but I was still disappointed. I then realized that a lot of the problem was air coming up from around the lower fairing and tank creating loud buffeting noises from the bottom of my helmet. I made up a set of deflectors and that solved the problem. Except when faced with cross winds I now have a fairly quiet ride and no wind blast, just a gentle flow of air coming up from the open area around the forks triple tree and across the very top of my helmet. You need anyway for ventilation. I am 5', 10" and ordered the medium screen.
can you share more about your deflectors?
That buffet really gets me.
I can stop it by trying to lift my shoulder into my lower ear area and it really
helps. I even thought of trying to put some sort of pad there on each side to
block, on the helmet or on my jacket, lol.

Gary C
125cc
125cc

Post by Gary C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:45 pm

Falcon, if you trace the source of that airflow with your hand as you ride you may find that it is being funneled from around the lower part of the fairing and around the front part of the tank then heading upwards towards the bottom of your helmet. The Palmer screen did a really good job of protecting me from the wind that comes head on but left this lower area is unaddressed. Other screens may create different conditions but it seems very few of them have completely satisfied owners when it comes to eliminating the noise of buffeting wind and I suspect that it is because they don't try to deal with that source as well. If you go into a BMW dealership you will notice that quite a few of the 2013 models now have small deflectors mounted along the bottom of the screens. I think that BMW is starting to figure this out.

If you go to I think it is the Random discussion section and look up the topic "The buffeting is really getting on my nerves", then go to page 8 you will see my earlier comments on this problem and see pictures of my bike and the deflectors.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:04 pm

I'll go back to that discussion. Seems I remember seeing it.
thanks, cause the buffeting is getting to ME

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:11 pm

yep, I see that was you and I had commented before when I saw it.
My big concern was getting the calsci...then still being unhappy!

Not sure how I can match your handiwork there.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 pm

I wonder if removing the turn signals would help?

Gary C
125cc
125cc

Post by Gary C » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:36 pm

I don't think removing the turn signals will have a significant impact on airflow. Also if you are still running the original screen I don't know how my idea would fit into that. If you are interested in doing some experiments try making a mock up that redirects the air flow out of cardboard and tape. That will test your ideas. That's how I started. I could email you the templates for my acrylic deflectors but they would be all wrong for the stock screen.

Also the stock screen contributes a lot of its problems by its height and shape. It should be shorter for clean air (which also means lots of wind blast but clean non-turbulent air) or else bigger for serious protection and a wind blast that isn't putting turbulent air around the lower part of your helmet. Another problem with the stock screen is that it fits close to the fairing and doesn't allow air to get behind the screen. Negative pressure builds up there and brings turbulent air back down over the top.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:17 am

Probably not enough, but have heard of folks drilling NAC holes to release pressure on some screens.

Muppet
City: Bath
Colour: White

Post by Muppet » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:59 pm

Falcon, yes that's the one, thanks for posting that link - I like it, as I said I have one on my Ulysses so I know the quality is good. Great ride too! ;)

Gary C - I like your deflectors, I may try and make something up, but I may also go over to see Ian and see if he might be interested in adding them as a product.

I know what you mean about the turbulence from around the screen and tank, but for me, when I have my current setup (Givi Touring screen and Vario blade fixed to top) set to the optimum position, I still get some turbulence unless I duck down a bit. I reckon the Palmer screen with it's better range of adjustment will let me find the sweet spot. Probably I'll go over and see him, good excuse for a decent days ride. :mrgreen:
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

Gary C
125cc
125cc

Post by Gary C » Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:24 pm

Muppet, I talked to Ian and his wife before ordering my screen and they are very fine people. If Ian would like my templates I would be glad to email them to him. I know he would do a better job of making them up than I could. I should mention as well that if you make them from clear material you will have to sand the surfaces otherwise they reflect the sun right back at you. What would look much better however would be if he could make them up in black plastic so it matched the matt finish plastic they use on some parts of the fairing. It would integrate better with the styling of the bike.

falcon4
675cc
675cc

Post by falcon4 » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Gary C wrote:Muppet, I talked to Ian and his wife before ordering my screen and they are very fine people. If Ian would like my templates I would be glad to email them to him. I know he would do a better job of making them up than I could. I should mention as well that if you make them from clear material you will have to sand the surfaces otherwise they reflect the sun right back at you. What would look much better however would be if he could make them up in black plastic so it matched the matt finish plastic they use on some parts of the fairing. It would integrate better with the styling of the bike.
yes, black would great.

passiv
250cc
250cc
City: Bratislava
Model: SMT

Post by passiv » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:29 pm

Hello,
I fitted palmer screen to my SMT today and I'd like to share couple thoughts and photos

as for fitment and install - super easy, just a couple screws

here is a Palmer Products screen compared to Givi D750S screen

The gap between headlight and the screen is quite big, but i didn't have a chance to ride to confirm it is an issue.
Also you can see headlight reflection, i don't yet know how much of an issue it is.

sabestian
Supporter
Supporter
City: Warsaw

Post by sabestian » Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:12 pm

Let's hope it is as good as it is ugly :D
Please report.
2013 SMT Black Akra with Y pipe and baffles, some orange bling, no SAS, no 2nd flies, no EPC, no O2, MH airbox, short/std stack, Tommy's mod8 Kev's #20 map, 16/41, Ergo seat, #19 pin dash hack, crash bungs, LEDs, KGR52, Scottoiler, Pirelli Angel ST

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:42 pm

The gap is what makes it work. It equalises air pressure behind the screen to prevent a turbulent vortex forming at the top of it which is what causes the noise and buffeting.
There is a baffle which you can fit to reduce the gap if rain is blowing under in really extreme weather but I've ridden for hours in heavy rain at motorway speeds without it with no problems.

You've got to play with the positions though to get it right. Highest and most upright was terrible but lower and tipped right back towards me worked a treat.

passiv
250cc
250cc
City: Bratislava

Post by passiv » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:17 pm

the screen works. no regrets on money spent. im not changing back to the puig.

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012

Post by limeyduffa » Sun May 07, 2017 4:34 am

I'm interested in getting a Palmer medium screen for insect protection (ie: riding through bee swarms etc), Does this screen have issues with reflected/reflected areas that cause blind spots or distorted vision ?. I am 172cm (5'7).

Reason for asking: Many years ago, I owned a GSX-R1000 and rode it very spiritedly (helmet touching tank, looking through screen !). I found the side edges of screen caused blind spots due to refraction. It was very distracting and was a nuance.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset

Post by Gimlet » Sun May 07, 2017 9:45 am

No, they're very good. The quality of the plastic is superior to standard KTM screens. Its clearer and less inclined to scratch or smear. I had the medium tint.

When I first fitted mine I was conscious of some reflection from the headlight and the indicators at night but nothing excessive and it wasn't distracting because I'd stopped noticing it within a week.
I'm bit taller than you (6') but I get no blind spots.