Redfox Hugger fitment problems

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Redfox Hugger fitment problems

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:59 am

I've spent a few nights this week trying to install my Redfox hugger - without much luck !

I have followed the pictorial cheat sheet that was supplied with the hugger. When this failed, I assumed the cheat sheet was incorrect and experimented. The hugger looks compatible with my bike, however some of the supplied brackets appear to be incorrect. I've tried to contact Neil Simpson at Side Products Limited. I have not got a response from him (I've given him 4 days to respond and it's the weekend in England now). So, what is the go with this company ?. Is poor quality control normal ?. If so, do they try to rectify their mistakes ?. Neil was responsive with sales questions a few weeks ago, but has fallen silent this week with my technical questions.

The R/H side brake lining bracket is too small:

The L/H/front swing arm bracket is misaligned. If I fasten it as per recommended, the R/H/Front bracket does not align up. Plus there is a lot of force on the bracket. The wall of the hugger will eventually fail:

If I swing this bracket around (assuming cheat sheet is wrong), then I would need a thick spacer to secure this point, and this would then clash with the chain. I can not see a solution with this bracket.

J

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Re: Redfox Hugger fitment problems

Post by Magic Wand » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:06 pm

Hey "limeyduffa"!

Search the forum for Redfox hugger and you will find a thread where I describe the same problem as you have now! Send me a PM and I will tell you some things about RedFox hugger installation...

Neil will answer any day, but he wount confess that there are big problems to mount the RedFox hugger he sells...

/Magic Wand
-

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi MW

I started sending you a PM, but then I thought Ph*k it, I'll post it up.

Thanks for your tips. I did a search for your posts. Unfortunately I must have missed them when I was researching this product. If I had've learnt of your experiences with this crappy hugger, I would not have purchased it.

Also, thanks for posting your modifications. I will use your info as a basis. When this hugger arrived last week, I was hoping for a quick install, but due having to machine new brackets, I am going to have to wait until spring when I move into my new house and set up my work shop.

Out of coincidence, Neil replied to me today. I dare say as I result of this thread. However, due to the ongoing problems with this product and it's continued supply (without recourse), I don't think it will add any value to engage Neil anymore. This obviously isn't a simple case of a warehouse picker picking the wrong brackets !

Like you, I will fix up this crappy product, learn from the experience and then move on. Neil should count himself very lucky, because if I was living in England, I would be contacting Consumer Affairs (or the British equivalent) to get my money back.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:18 pm

"limey"

Yes, exactly what I would have done too! I "argued" with Neil for more than 2 weeks, and also sent him links to let him read by himself that many people have problems to mount the hugger. But he didn´t listen too much, and tried to explain that from 2015 the manufacturer have made the hugger a bit different to fit better (or somethin like that).
I doubt it...

I really hope that NOONE else buy the RedFox hugger.

/M