Palmer products screen

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
Thirdway
990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Palmer products screen

Post by Thirdway » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:10 pm

Been considering adding the Palmer screen. I read mixed reports. I actually don't hate the standard screen in regard to buffeting or protection, but my pet hate is the way it launches flies at my visor and under the chin guard. I'm often opening my visor to try and shoe out an invader and the moment I've cleaned it, some big far bug commits suicide across a vital bit. I also find that it shovels greasy rain water up same as the flies, it's straight off the road from vehicles rather than just rain- turns riding into a nightmare.

Anyone who has a Palmer tell me if they have found the taller screen and adjustable angle helps ?

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Palmer products screen

Post by Gimlet » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:44 pm

One of the first things I bought for mine. A vast improvement over the standard or the KTM touring screen. Never had an issue with insects or rain. The position does make a difference. Not so much height but tilt. Too upright and mine buffets like hell. Tip it back and all is calm.
Worth the spend IMO and well made. I found the KTM screens scratch very easily. The Palmer is much tougher and has stayed scratch-free after multiple cleanings.
Pay the extra tenner of whatever it is to have the powder coating option on the brackets. I was tight and skimped on that which was a mistake. Raw stainless looks a bit conspicuous.

jhalfhide
675cc
675cc
City: East Sussex
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by jhalfhide » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:58 pm

Gimlet wrote:Pay the extra tenner of whatever it is to have the powder coating option on the brackets. I was tight and skimped on that which was a mistake. Raw stainless looks a bit conspicuous.
Hammerite? [FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Now: 2013 KTM 990 SMT
Old: 2010 Ducati Faultistrada 1200s (Broke)
Old: 2007 Yamaha R1 (Sold)
Old: 2009 KTM 990 SMR (Stolen)
Old: 2008 Ducati 848 (Written off... whilst parked :roll: )
Old: 2007 ZX6R (Written off... elderly driver)
Old: 1996 ZX6R (Sold)

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011

Post by Muppet » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:54 pm

Don't hesitate, just buy one.

My experiences of it, and him, are all excellent:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=5911&hilit=muppet+palmer
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010

Post by Magic Wand » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:11 am

It´s easy to say; "Just buy it!"

But guys, if a screen works for one rider it doesn´t automatically mean that it will work for another.
Much depends of the body hight. Right? A shorter rider could accept the KTM touring screen, or the Puig, but a taller rider needs a screen that is more than 20 cm bigger/higher than the original one.

I´m 187 cm and have the Puig screen (17 cm taller than original), and unfortunatelly it does not take away the wind from the helmet. The wind hits the upper part of the helmet, and I often have to stop and clean the visor from bugs/insects.
I also suffer a bit from the wind stream around the helmet, as it create turbulence around it and thus higher "sound" level.

/M
Last edited by Magic Wand on Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 pm

Magic Wand wrote:It´s easy to say; "Just buy it!"

But guys, if a screen works for one rider it doesn´t automatically mean that it will work for another.
Much depends of the body hight. Right? A shorter rider could accept the KTM touring screen, or the Puig, but a taller rider needs a screen that is more than 20 cm bigger/higher than the original one.

I´m 187 cm and have the Puig screen (17 cm taller than original), and unfortunatelly it does not take away the wind from the helmet. The wind hits the upper part of the helmet, and I often have to stop and clean the visor from bugs/insects.
I also suffer a bit from the wind stream around the helmet, at is create turbulence around it and thus higher "sound" level.

/M
True, but I've yet to hear of anyone who didn't have good results with a Palmer. I've got 2, one on my KTM, and one on my Buell, and both work for me. The KTM is the later one, with more and easier adjustment, but the Buell one is fine.

You'll never know unless you can try a bike with one on, or you just go for it and buy one. If it really doesn't work for you, then selling it on will get back I'd suggest 75% of your outlay.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Mon May 01, 2017 10:59 am

Muppet wrote:
Magic Wand wrote:It´s easy to say; "Just buy it!"

I also suffer a bit from the wind stream around the helmet, at is create turbulence around it and thus higher "sound" level.

/M
True, but I've yet to hear of anyone who didn't have good results with a Palmer. I've got 2, one on my KTM, and one on my Buell, and both work for me. The KTM is the later one, with more and easier adjustment, but the Buell one is fine.

You'll never know unless you can try a bike with one on, or you just go for it and buy one. If it really doesn't work for you, then selling it on will get back I'd suggest 75% of your outlay.
I've ordered one up. I realised yesterday that the wind last was forcing me into a rigid crouch which hurt my neck and backside during higher speed runs. Never noticed it at lower speeds and I've adapted to it at higher speeds, but it isn't pleasant-especially when bashing out motorway miles like going up to Scotland. Hope this will be an improvement.

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Mon May 01, 2017 6:54 pm

Keep us posted as to how you get on with it. Always interested in others opinions.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Thu May 04, 2017 7:27 pm

Muppet wrote:Keep us posted as to how you get on with it. Always interested in others opinions.

Got it fitted-no thanks to palmers who managed to put the spacer bolts in the wrong holes. Had me scratching my head for a few minutes until I realised what they had done.

I like the look of it, sits well on the SMT and looks as if it might have been an OEM fit. Others have said it looks ugly, but I think it compliments the bike.

Not tried it out but will report back if I get a chance for a run tommorrow.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Tue May 16, 2017 10:47 pm

I did 1100 miles in all weathers over the last few days and found the Palmer did a far better job than the standard screen. It isn't exactly a touring screen, but it does make sustained high speeds less unpleasant. I found highest position, tilted maximum back eliminated any buffeting. I'm going to make up some deflectors to fit at the bottom of the screen when I get the chance.

Muppet

Post by Muppet » Wed May 17, 2017 9:08 pm

Thirdway wrote:I did 1100 miles in all weathers over the last few days and found the Palmer did a far better job than the standard screen. It isn't exactly a touring screen, but it does make sustained high speeds less unpleasant. I found highest position, tilted maximum back eliminated any buffeting. I'm going to make up some deflectors to fit at the bottom of the screen when I get the chance.
That's exactly how I have mine for cracking out the miles, then when I hit the twisties, I put it to lowest setting and as tilted back as I can - it very slightly fouls on the bars at full lock, but I can live with that for the better forward vision on the gnarly stuff. Glad you like it.

Thirdway
990cc
990cc

Post by Thirdway » Wed May 17, 2017 9:33 pm

Muppet wrote:
Thirdway wrote:I did 1100 miles in all weathers over the last few days and found the Palmer did a far better job than the standard screen. It isn't exactly a touring screen, but it does make sustained high speeds less unpleasant. I found highest position, tilted maximum back eliminated any buffeting. I'm going to make up some deflectors to fit at the bottom of the screen when I get the chance.
That's exactly how I have mine for cracking out the miles, then when I hit the twisties, I put it to lowest setting and as tilted back as I can - it very slightly fouls on the bars at full lock, but I can live with that for the better forward vision on the gnarly stuff. Glad you like it.
It's fine at full height even on the really twisty stuff. This weekend I did the road to the summer Isle in Scotland-44 miles of proper single track with passing places and really tight bends. I had a right laugh. Mate has a Tracer and I had KT up to some proper naughty speeds through the turns and along the bumpy straights and he fell further and further behind-he's a really fast rider and his bike is fitted with new fork internals and shock, but it can't compete with the amount of travel on the SMT. This bike really revels in near off road territory, even if it isn't exactly a sports bike on the faster flowing stuff.