SMT handlebars replacement

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

SMT handlebars replacement

Post by xaotikos » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:47 pm

I have seen in different posts people mentioning they have changed their handlebars (duke's, renthal etc).

I feel SMT bars are a bit narrow for me and close to the rider, so i'm thinking to try wider bars and maybe with less sweep.

It would be nice to have data on different handlebars alternatives on one thread so...please comment!!

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Re: SMT handlebars replacement

Post by xaotikos » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:44 pm

Bump..

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Post by Yoozy » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:18 pm

A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:40 pm

Yes i've read this one (although i cannot understand how the mount can go forward on my 2013 SMT).
However, i was thinking that it would be nice to have a thread with handlebar options like:
I tried this one and i liked it because it is wider and lower or i tried the other one but it hits the screen etc.

lew-hand-93
675cc
675cc
City: Liverpool
Year: 2012

Post by lew-hand-93 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Ive got a set of Renthal fat bars on mine with a high bend, much better riding and my back used to ache with the standard

Streetfighter
125cc
125cc
City: Tyrone

Post by Streetfighter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 pm

I put Duke 690 bars on mine bit wider bit more rise and they are black 3 good reasons to go for them.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Colour: White

Post by adcolor » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:34 pm

To reverse the bar risers:

Unclamp bar. Support it in place (so it cant fall and break something -- hang it with a rope from the ceiling, etc).

Remove the riser mounting nuts/washers (can't recall the actual bits). Remove the riser.

Turn it around.

Reinstall everything.

You did note the handlebar position marks?!
Also, evenly tighten the clamp bolts so that the clamp is even. Modest increments all the way round.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:03 pm

Thats great info!! Thanks!

downboysit
125cc
125cc
City: gold coast

Post by downboysit » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:57 am

being tall with monkey arms i too want the bars pushed further away. am waiting on LSL fatbar drag handlebars to arrive. already have roxrisers rotated forward on std bars but its still not quite enough. will post once fitted.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:20 pm

Smt standard handlebars dimensions by NEKEN

The lengh is : 764 mm
Hight : 78 mm
Sweep : 75 mm

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Model: Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 pm

xaotikos wrote:Smt standard handlebars dimensions by NEKEN

The lengh is : 764 mm
Hight : 78 mm
Sweep : 75 mm
Cheers, thats good info to know, just in time as im thinking of getting some black bars myself

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:14 pm

I'm thinking to replace them also, probably with renthal rc high with a color.
I have to decide what is best for ergonomics

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:29 am

To everyone that have changed bars, did you drill any holes for clutch and brake?
I know sometimes is difficult to remove the grips, do you have any hint on that?
And the big question-mark for me, what are the steps to remove the throttle tube?

I decided to go for the RC HIGH :)

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter

Post by adcolor » Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:27 pm

I've had my throttle tube off a couple of times, can't recall anything special to remove it.

Since you are replacing the handle bars, you could just remove the bar to the left, then slide the assembly off the end, reversing for installation.

You may need to reroute your various cables and hoses to make them long enough. I put Rox risers on mine (opposite issue from you -- I wanted mine a bit lower and rearwards) and was able to rearrange things. IIRC, I had to reroute the brake line, so have some DOT 4 brake fluid handy. I don't recall rerouting the throttle cables, but when I did the 15,000 KM maintenance I rerouted the throttle cables. You will need to have some small tie wraps handy.

End of the day must be correct:
--No throttle changes when the handlebar is at max left/right Ensure you have adequate slack or you will get goofy responses when the ecu can't find the proper TPS voltages. Not hard to readjust if you do, but so much simpler to do correctly the first time.
Clutch/brake hoses not tight (no banjo strings).
Similar with electrical.
This is a great time to install heated grips if you are inclined to do so, as everything will be apart anyhow.

Make sure you have a few hours when you do this, as it can be tedious.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

xaotikos
900cc
900cc

Post by xaotikos » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:10 pm

That was nice piece of advice mate, thanks!! If i need to reroute throttle cables i undestand i have to disconnect them from the tube.however I cannot find anything about it ob the service manual.. is it straight forward?

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter

Post by adcolor » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:46 pm

Take a couple of close up pics prior to disassembly (use a ruler in the pic -- just helps for roughing in at reassembly).

If you have changed to the ICG air filter it is much easier (lots more room, easy to take out than the stock airbox).

No magic here, there is a cable slack adjuster near the throttle tube. There is also one on each cable end at the throttle body. I don't think there were any other adjustments, but you will see soon enough when you have the tank and air filter box off.

The ECU is the black box (~3" x 4") mounted in the fame in front of the air box. You may find it easier to unbolt it to move the cables around.

I had a bunch of stuff off anyhow, and have slept since I did the work. I had most of the front fairing off in any case, so can't recall if that helped or not. It shouldn't be necessary to do it, but could prove convenient.

BradTaz
Supporter
Supporter
City: Strahan
Year: 2010

Post by BradTaz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:09 am

Adcolor, bike in pieces, shitbox KTM heated grips off, new RC Hi-bends fitted, sort of.

The new bars are about an inch wider each side, and the throttle cables are tight. Ran out of time today before having to come to work. Tomorrow the tank comes off to release throttle cables, hence asking now before I get flummoxed later..

Can you remember if you blazed a new path for your throttle cables or was it just a matter of a bit of juggling?

Cheers, Brad.
Current Bikes: SM-T, Sprint 1050GT, VTR250, EXC250(400 piston)

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Yoozy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:14 am

If you saw an inch off is there still enough room for everything ? ohh and will the handguards still nail in the ends ok?

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

BradTaz
Supporter
Supporter
City: Strahan
Year: 2010

Post by BradTaz » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:29 am

Angle grinder will be the last resort Yooz. Gotta release the throttle cables under the tank anyway as the RC8 throttle tube is going on at the same time as the bars and new heated grips - so may as well have a play at re-routing before I hack away at that extra leverage the new bars give.

Handguard barends fit in no worries.

If interested, the Renthal RC Hi-bends are about 30mm wider each side, about 20mm higher and have around 15mm less sweep than standard Nekens.

No measuring device was injured in the obtaining of those dimensions. Just guesstimates by holding the bars next to each other.
Current Bikes: SM-T, Sprint 1050GT, VTR250, EXC250(400 piston)

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Yoozy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:02 am

I could do with something a tad higher so they might do.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM