Rear light concerns

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
shaun-m
675cc
675cc
City: Hartlepool
Year: 2010

Rear light concerns

Post by shaun-m » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:05 pm

Hi all,
Was sat following a mate on his super duke and noticed how feeble the rear light is. Obviously the smt is the same and I was wondering if anyone had modified or replaced theirs and what had they used. I've seen some led bulbs on eBay but I think the position of the bulb is as much the problem as the bulb itself. The brake light is fine no issues at all. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Hellboi
675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara
Colour: White

Re: Rear light concerns

Post by Hellboi » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:30 am

Tail tidy maybe? Image
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

ultrachrome
675cc
675cc
City: Seattle
Year: 2011

Post by ultrachrome » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:31 pm

SuperDuke's light is different.

SuperDuke 61014040000
Supermoto 58614040044

I've looked at my brake light from about 20 feet back with the brake lever zip-tied and thought it was pretty good. From behind, the entire reflector bowl lights up. However, I didn't like the fact that it only had one bulb which seemed dangerously close to having no brake light at all should the bulb suddenly fail.

I looked at the LED replacement that shows up on ebay but I recall some didn't think it was that bright and the turn signal feature seemed gimmicky.

I ended up with a set of red Skene Design Photon Blasters (just the LED modules, not the modulator) mounted to a homemade bracket attached to the bottom of the stock cargo plate and positioned just above the brake light. Having seen other auxiliary LED installations in action, I felt that having them on the license plate was too low and reduced their effectiveness especially in daylight.

From 15-20 feet and to my eyes, the pair of PB's put out as much light as the stock brake light.

I'll post some pics when I get home from work.

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Colour: Silver

Post by Scutty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 am

This is the one I use:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1183285683

No fancy built-in indicators but it is way brighter (at least the guys I ride with tell me its much better than stock).
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

Hellboi
675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara

Post by Hellboi » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:22 am

Holy hell, at that price it should give you a blowjob too. :lol:
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

Scutty
990cc
990cc
City: Guildford
Colour: Silver

Post by Scutty » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:55 am

Really?!?

The standard light unit is £42 - blow jobs must be pretty cheap in Japan!!
2014 KMT 690 Enduro R and 2014 KTM 1190 Adventure R

Because you can never have too much of a great thing!

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:45 pm

shaun-m wrote:Was sat following a mate on his super duke and noticed how feeble the rear light is. Any words of wisdom appreciated.
What's behind you doesn't matter.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Scutty wrote:Really?!?

The standard light unit is £42 - blow jobs must be pretty cheap in Japan!!
There're pretty cheap in Essex too, but if you choose to live in the Stockbroker belt, you have to pay the price :lol: :lol: :lol:

Doerbird02
500cc
500cc
City: Monterey, CA
Year: 2012
Model: SMT

Post by Doerbird02 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:12 am

I installed a pair of P3 LED lights to the bottom of the luggage rack. I should post a picture, but bottom line... The LED's are relatively bright at the standard setting, much brighter than the tail light. When you brake, the lights strobe, then pulse, then go solid bright. It is definitely hard to miss. My wife was following me the other day in the car and she said that when I put on the brake it was almost shocking. For my daily commute with crazy iPhone wielding distracted drivers, I think it has been a great addition. Install wasn't a problem, just time consuming to take apart the whole back end of the bike to get at the wiring. The LED's are also integrated with the turn signals. Pricey, but I recommend it, FWIW.
Rotweiler, Leo Vince cans, SAS and Canister removed, 2nd Flies Removed, Kev's #20 map, forks heavier springs and custom valving from KTM World, random orange anodized bits for looks

Ktkeith

Post by Ktkeith » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:39 pm

Doerbird02 wrote:I installed a pair of P3 LED lights to the bottom of the luggage rack. I should post a picture, but bottom line... The LED's are relatively bright at the standard setting, much brighter than the tail light. When you brake, the lights strobe, then pulse, then go solid bright. It is definitely hard to miss. My wife was following me the other day in the car and she said that when I put on the brake it was almost shocking. For my daily commute with crazy iPhone wielding distracted drivers, I think it has been a great addition. Install wasn't a problem, just time consuming to take apart the whole back end of the bike to get at the wiring. The LED's are also integrated with the turn signals. Pricey, but I recommend it, FWIW.
Sadly not legal in the UK.

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver

Post by adcolor » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:53 am

Might be here too, but if you don't change the colors, our cops are usually not going to bother about them.
I am not even sure most cops would have a clue about lighting anyhow (short of color and aiming).

Flashing tail lights are also illegal here, but I have never known anyone to get pulled over for them. I think if a cop thought it was an issue, he probably gives the motorcyclist a pass just because it might mean he might have one less accident report to write up.

The biggest pass in the US is that few states have an annual inspection program, so we get away with more.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Doerbird02
500cc
500cc

Post by Doerbird02 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:28 am

Here are the P3 Lights I posted about earlier. I'll see if I can get a picture of them on. The camera doesn't seem to like to adjust well to the bright color in the dark, so to this point, I haven't gotten any worthwhile pictures.
The P3 lights are actually designed to mount onto the license plate holder, but I modified them. Easy to do. Hardest part of the install was taking apart the tail section of the bike to get at the wiring. Should also mention that you can program them to not flash if you don't want them to. Mine are set up to flash and are synced up with the turn signals.
Rotweiler, Leo Vince cans, SAS and Canister removed, 2nd Flies Removed, Kev's #20 map, forks heavier springs and custom valving from KTM World, random orange anodized bits for looks

ultrachrome
675cc
675cc

Post by ultrachrome » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:43 am

Doerbird02 wrote: Hardest part of the install was taking apart the tail section of the bike to get at the wiring.
I was able to do it pretty easily by just pulling the carbon cannister and related parts out of the way and using a long socket extension to remove the tail light. From there I unplugged and disassembled the molex connector and recrimped two of the pins with the PB's wires spliced in.

But then again I didn't need to access the turn signal wiring but certainly changing the brake light bulb does not require tail disassembly as specified by the manual.

Agentwomack
125cc
125cc
City: Eugene
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Agentwomack » Mon Dec 23, 2013 2:32 am

On another note regarding the rear tail light. Just noticed while cleaning the bike the tail light has significant play in it. Not side to side, but up and down. It feels like it's secure in the middle and the wiggle room comes from pivoting on center bolts. But again it's a brand new bike and could be it wasn't tightened down?
Anyone have some input on this?

ultrachrome
675cc
675cc

Post by ultrachrome » Mon Dec 23, 2013 3:24 am

Agentwomack wrote:On another note regarding the rear tail light. Just noticed while cleaning the bike the tail light has significant play in it. Not side to side, but up and down. It feels like it's secure in the middle and the wiggle room comes from pivoting on center bolts. But again it's a brand new bike and could be it wasn't tightened down?
Anyone have some input on this?
It's mounted to rubber grommets.

Martin D2D
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney

Post by Martin D2D » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44 am

Doerbird02
500cc
500cc

Post by Doerbird02 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:38 pm

The P3 lights are really a good purchase. I have gotten a lot of positive comments about them and I really notice people backing off, when following me too closely, if I tap the brakes.
The price on that link seemed pretty high. I would go directly to P3's website. I'm sure I didn't pay but half that. Of course, that was in USD, but the exchange rate is not that significant.

Martin D2D
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney

Post by Martin D2D » Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:23 am

Doerbird02 wrote:The P3 lights are really a good purchase. I have gotten a lot of positive comments about them and I really notice people backing off, when following me too closely, if I tap the brakes.
The price on that link seemed pretty high. I would go directly to P3's website. I'm sure I didn't pay but half that. Of course, that was in USD, but the exchange rate is not that significant.

These are from Australia... bearing in mind freight and exchange rate at 30% they are on par