Sat nav systems

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
deee-blue
500cc
500cc
City: chichester
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: Sat nav systems

Post by deee-blue » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:37 pm

I've recently bought a Zumo 350LM and taken the time to learn how to use it. The Satnav itself has a few issues but nothing so bad as to not like it. Basecamp software is really good but again you need to take your time with it as it also has some flaws. Ride magazine recently (June addition I think) reviewed the TomTom bike Satnav and gave it a pretty poor score. From what I remember it has some serious issues.
Overall I'm very happy with the Garmin, it's very easy to use and Basecamp is a powerful tool for planning trips, especially as you can export your route into google earth at the click of a button. When your planning a trip to the Swiss Alps that is a very cool tool.
The Garmin is expensive but you do get two power supplies and all the mounting bracketry required for a standard handlebar mount.
I chose the 350LM as it's the latest model eventhough it doesn't do Bluetooth phone connections but that's not a problem for me.

I'd give the Garmin 7.5/10

Hope my opinion helps.
KTM SMT

Kernow
500cc
500cc
City: LIskeard

Post by Kernow » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:25 pm

sorry to bring back an old thread , but saves staring another .
Iam fitting my zumo 220 to my new smt , The bike already has heated grips wired to the acc wires and not sure if I should splice in the sat nav aswell
Is that the only place to get a feed that switches off with the ignition ?
The zumo lead has a fuse holder and box on it which I think is going to make it too bulky to fit behind the little cover taking a feed from under the seat would seem better .
Interested to know how others have sorted connecting a garmin.

Also would like to hear more about the 350lm now its been a year . I get on well with the 220 but agree with the database comments , and its due an update at £75 so thinking of adding that budget to the LM and taking my chances with the 220 on ebay .

ogden
City: London
Year: 2011

Post by ogden » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 pm

I have both my 350 and heated grips spliced into the same switched feed behind the headlight. The fusebox etc. all fits under the little hatch, you just have to be a little creative.

The 220 is a turd, the 350 got four of us from Essex to Istanbul and back without a single hiccup, and since it arrived I've not so much as switched my 220 on.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

Kernow
500cc
500cc

Post by Kernow » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:12 am

Thanks for that I will have a go at stuffing the cable etc in there .

I see the 350 as cheap as £279 now , my greatest concern is its larger size will obscure the clocks , I like to have it on the handlebar mounted right of the clamps so I can just see the clocks over it .

I wouldn't call the 220 a turd , its done me well , have planned and loaded 3 day tours around tiny back roads etc and the only errors have been my fault not being accurate with a waypoints etc . They aren't cheap and I guess for the cost should be better but garmin has always been expensive as there is little competition in the real world . The premium for a motorcycle waterproof unit seems huge but having tried cases etc for normal units they are a pain .

Kernow
500cc
500cc

Post by Kernow » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 pm

cheers for the advice got it all wired in on Sunday , what else can you do in that sort of weather . I spliced the wires for the sat nav and heated grips into one pair of terminals and shrink wrapped them . The lead and little boxes fitted as you promised , like a tardis that little cubby hole .
Wouldn't fancy changing the headlamp bulb in the dark mind . I was going to fit my superbright bulb but gave up

Neilc
125cc
125cc
City: geelong
Year: 2013
Colour: Silver

Post by Neilc » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am

I bought a new tomtom Rider for the express purpose of telling me when I exceeded the posted speed limit and speed camera positions it showed the posted limit very accurately and my speed but the warning was terrible if you accelerated hard you could be 30Ks over before it told you by jingling or turning red in the display even if you were going slow it did not notify you until you were 7KS over, every other unit I have used notified you within 2Ks over TomTom was no help as I could not get to speak to or email anyone other then a call centre in India whilst they were very obliging they real had no idea about the unit so I took it back and got a refund what I would like to know was this unit defective or is the Rider that bade at over speed notification in the state of VIC in OZ you can be booked at just 2Ks over by an overly zealous TOG pig and it is really helpful to look at the road some of the time and not just the speedo

nomadic
250cc
250cc
City: Haywards Heath

Post by nomadic » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:44 pm

A new update to the peaklife Sat Nav?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Moto ... roduct_top

Anyone bought this yet? I am tempted just to use the iphone with co-pilot.

Wulfie
50cc
50cc
City: Windsor

Post by Wulfie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Realise this is an old post but maybe my experience is useful.
I've now done two decent trips on my SMT using co-pilot on a smart phone. First was last year through France, French/Swiss/Italian alps and back home via western France. Second was Spain, Portugal. Co-pilot was excellant and I especially like the ability to drag the route on screen if you want to deviate from a recommended route. This removes the need for a pc to plan. The main issue I have with smartphones is that they are not designed to with stand vibrations and on each occasion the phone chip has died soon after returning. First time I used a Samsung S3 and second time a waterproof Sony. I would recommend taking a backup device if possible.
In terms of fittings I first used the handlebar bolt idea from ultimate-mobiles and it was ok but not good for traffic or twisties as you have to look away from the road. Also the fittings I found to be poor and after four days used a thick elastic band to keep the phone on the bracket. The wiring and switch seemed good at the time as it is easy to connect to the battery and the switch was next to the unit. However, after a few months it stopped working. I suspect water ingress. The only part I find good from ultimate-mobiles is the waterproof case which is still going strong.
My final solution which works well for me is the ultimate-mobiles case butchered to fit the ram mount behind the dials. I have used the ultimate-mobiles wiring kit (only their usb connector works with their case)and hard wired in. Simple, easy, cheapish and the screen is within peripheral vision.
I stay with smartphones as I can pick them up used for peanuts from a friend at O2.

Gnosisdog
675cc
675cc
City: San Francisco
Model: SMT

Post by Gnosisdog » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:55 pm

I use an Iphone a lot with no vibe issues so far.

Podman
500cc
500cc
City: Dublin
Colour: White

Post by Podman » Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:01 am

Have to agree on iPhone. Several thousand miles with it and no problems.

Kernow
500cc
500cc

Post by Kernow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:15 am

Doesn't an I phone rely on signal via 3G etc . Surely if you have no signal you have no gps . Plus it's using your allowance on your bill .
Or is there something Iam missing with my I phone

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:29 pm

If your iphone is jailbroken you just use your GPS chip. If is stock you have to use internet.
Even phones need some tuning :P

Kernow
500cc
500cc

Post by Kernow » Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:42 pm

xaotikos wrote:If your iphone is jailbroken you just use your GPS chip. If is stock you have to use internet.
Even phones need some tuning :P
please explain in English :)

xaotikos
900cc
900cc
City: Athens
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by xaotikos » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:55 pm

Gnosisdog
675cc
675cc
City: San Francisco

Post by Gnosisdog » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:36 pm

Iphones have a GPS chip and don't need cell service as long as you have a Sat Nav app with the right maps loaded. They also support GLONASS so its tracking capability is pretty remarkable. I can't warrant spending Garmin $.

Kernow
500cc
500cc

Post by Kernow » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:55 pm

Well Iam too old and too busy to bother with all the jargon learning etc , plus I would need glasses to use my I phone , the screen is just too small. I Bought my zumo in 2010 and it's still great and simple after about 40k miles . I reckon my time at work earning instead of fussing with saving money on the wrong divice has been easier and more productive .

Even my older garmin car sat nav was a pain when you are really needing to navigate or pushing on with a nasty bag over it . I know the zumo I can be enjoying a good fast ride take a quick glance at the screen and know exactly when the next turn is coming up . I bet if I sold the zumo now and bought a new one I would have lost less than £100 on it in 4 years .

Lostwiththewind
125cc
125cc
City: Seattle
Year: 2012

Post by Lostwiththewind » Mon Jul 20, 2015 4:32 am

So speaking of navs I'm running Navigon App on my phone. Anyone familiar?? I struggled on a trip across the nation as it seemed I couldn't map through to the next state so I gave up on it and used my laminated map.

I'd love to find someone to train me up on Navigon. I think it has a ton of potential and cost me $60.

Thanks.

ScoobyZ
250cc
250cc
City: Portsmouth

Post by ScoobyZ » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:26 pm

Hi, anyone had problems with their peaklife sat nav?

I can't switch mine on or charge it, I've tried both batteries. It hasn't had much use either :(
"Dad is it true Orange bikes go faster?"....."Cause it is son....cause it is!"

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Model: Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:32 am

Have you tried charging it from the mains? does the dim light come on in the corner to show its getting power?
If you havent used it in a while maybe the batteries need more time to get some charge in them?

ScoobyZ
250cc
250cc
City: Portsmouth

Post by ScoobyZ » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:03 pm

Yep tried mains. Also got some power in batteries by charging direct from a cut off USB lead.

Just can't get it to switch on. Might just sell it as spares as people can't get spare brackets for them.
"Dad is it true Orange bikes go faster?"....."Cause it is son....cause it is!"