Skidmarx Hugger install

Share your bling. Latest Alums, topbox, alarms, gel seat...
orangejohn
125cc
125cc
City: Sittingbourne
Year: 2011

Re: Skidmarx Hugger install

Post by orangejohn » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:02 pm

wildybeast wrote:fitted mine and found that on full suspension travel it catches on the exhaust cans.(standard cans are fitted).Sent skidmarx some pictures and am waiting for a solution. :?

Any response from Skidmarx yet Wildy?

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc
City: Norwich
Colour: White

Post by kaivalagi » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:32 pm

kaivalagi wrote:I'll be sure to post some pics when it's installed so you all see what a mistake I made :)
As promised a pic with the white hugger fitted, I think it looks okay (when clean)

I had to be quick as it started to rain so apologies for not getting a couple of better positioned shots

I really don't want to mess with those m5 bolts in the swing arm any more! It felt like I could sheer the threads any minute so the bolts are not in as tight as I would like...any tips? What would I need to do if I did sheer a thread out?
My other bike is a rocket ;)

dancerdave
City: Larne
Year: 2010

white hugger

Post by dancerdave » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:09 am

I'm all for making a bike "your own" and as long as you like it thats the main thing but I prefer it black
Dave
2012 F800GS Triple Black
2005 BMW 1150 GSA SE

SM-T NOW SOLD

pvdbogaard
250cc
250cc
City: Voorthuizen
Year: 2013
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by pvdbogaard » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:09 am

I would really appreciate a complete picture of that same side. I have seen one elsewhere and if that one is indeed the Skidmarx hugger, than no go for me. That thing gave a different meaning to ugly :shock:

rottenjonny
250cc
250cc
City: Aberdare

Post by rottenjonny » Sat Dec 24, 2011 11:13 am

I really don't want to mess with those m5 bolts in the swing arm any more! It felt like I could sheer the threads any minute so the bolts are not in as tight as I would like...any tips? What would I need to do if I did sheer a thread out?
Just make sure you use some Loctite 243 thread lock as the vibes will loosen the bolts and you'll get cracks around the mounting holes.
Drinking non-alcoholic beer is like performing oral sex with your sister
It tastes the same - but it's wrong!

prooney377
125cc
125cc
City: Liverpool
Colour: Silver

Post by prooney377 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Cheers mate, very useful.

Rangoonruns
990cc
990cc
City: Wolverhampton
Year: 2010

Post by Rangoonruns » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:06 pm

Someone asked about what if i strip a thread?

Well, If you shag up a thread there are two options i am familiar with:
first up is to fit a helicoil, second is to fit a rivnut (google either if your curious)

if you are west midlands based i can help but best to not strip those threads in the first instance :oops: :oops: :oops:

LouP
250cc
250cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2009

Post by LouP » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:06 am

My M5 thread stripped, so I drilled and tapped to the next size M6. Much easier to do and the larger thread is less prone to stripping. ;)
Leo Vince Cans, 16T sprocket, Throttle cam, Rad Guard, Skid plate, Crash bars, Axle protectors, Tall screen, LED Tail light, Custom seat, Soft panniers,Top box, Tank bag, 12 volt outlet, Fender Extender,Skidmarx hugger, Scottoiler, And a wish list.

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc

Post by kaivalagi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:12 pm

LouP wrote:My M5 thread stripped, so I drilled and tapped to the next size M6. Much easier to do and the larger thread is less prone to stripping. ;)
Good to know, thanks. I assume there is enough thread depth to take a stripped M5 hole to M6 threaded then...

I do suspect the M5 thread where the brake cable clip sits is on it's way out...it's holding things together but I didn't manage to get the resistance back from tightening like I did with the other bolts, hence the question and not trying to force it, I daren't unscrew it either, sad I know! I haven't taken the bike out yet, time with tell though. I may well be buying a tap and die kit very soon....

edit: Was it the same thread you had issue with by any chance? Just curious...

tony101
125cc
125cc
City: ayr

Post by tony101 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:37 pm

All this talk of stripped threads, sounds like somebody needs to invest in some shorter spanners! The KTM workshop manual does suggest that they have shares in Loctite, there's 243 all over the place. The only nasty thread that I've experienced was one of the chain adjusters, needed an M8 fine tap running through it .

Tony

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc

Post by kaivalagi » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:47 pm

tony101 wrote:All this talk of stripped threads, sounds like somebody needs to invest in some shorter spanners!
If only it were the case then I could maybe understand it! The M5 thread which I suspect is fooked had the bolt tightened using a hex driver in a normal screw driver...not even with an allen key...
edit: I'll know what the deal is with it when I am at home with a tap in hand, I'm working away right now.

LouP
250cc
250cc
City: Adelaide

Post by LouP » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:03 am

All this talk of stripped threads, sounds like somebody needs to invest in some shorter spanners! The KTM workshop manual does suggest that they have shares in Loctite, there's 243 all over the place.
There is a very thin wall thickness on the swing arm, very prone to stripping. As an engineer for over 30 years I have spanners at various lengths and plenty of loctite on board.
I found the bolt on the chain side had come loose prior to installing the hugger, when re tightening this bolt with locktite, it felt loose/stripped. Helicoils would be useless in this repair as there is such a thin wall thickness. Using a M6 bolt it has a slightly coarse thread pitch than the M5, coarse threads work better in softer alloys. I tapped out the other side of the swing arm as that felt suspect when installing the hugger, I have had no problems since. Simply, the "size of your spanner" is not the issue :lol: , the thin wall thickness is always going to be prone to stripping.
Leo Vince Cans, 16T sprocket, Throttle cam, Rad Guard, Skid plate, Crash bars, Axle protectors, Tall screen, LED Tail light, Custom seat, Soft panniers,Top box, Tank bag, 12 volt outlet, Fender Extender,Skidmarx hugger, Scottoiler, And a wish list.

kaivalagi
990cc
990cc

Post by kaivalagi » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:10 pm

Well I heard a rattling last weekend when on the bike and found that the bolt where the brake line clips on was gone and the hugger looked a little loose :) The thread was not there as suspected before...so I ordered a cheapish Clarke HSS tap and die set, which came yesterday.

Today I cleaned out the threadless hole with a 5mm HSS drill bit (by hand was all that was needed) and proceeded to tap an M6x1 thread...Ideally I would have removed the wheel but I managed to tap in half turns without an issue. It was an easy job looking back on it, daunting beforehand though, especially for someone whose experience of tapping holes comes from metal work at school over 20 years ago!

I re-fitted the hugger using an old M6 bolt I had (run a die over it first!) and used loctite 243 everywhere this time too...all sorted now.

I've left the M5 thread on the other side of the swing arm as I can always tap that if/when required. I think I must have had a dodgy M5 thread from manufacture, the only alternative to that was me de-threading it (some grit inside?) by over-tightening with a screwdriver (unlikely I'd say)

KTM, please use M6 threads for this stuff, it really does make more sense to have a coarser thread for these areas

Thanks for the heads up LouP, it made the job less worrying :)

alien
675cc
675cc
City: Bangor
Year: 2012

Post by alien » Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:49 pm

Fitted Skidmarx Hugger. Nice fit. Looks good in gloss black on gloss black bike :D
Pity I managed to crack the half circle fitting on left hand side :?
Thankfully managed to sort it with few washers.

Just goes to prove. "Not very bright, but I can lift heavy things" :roll:
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

ogden
City: London

Post by ogden » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:31 am

...this is why I got the order in along with the bike and let the dealer do it.

I did the hugger on my SV and both GSXRs, but anything that involves so much as taking a wheel off sounds like hard work. I even break a light sweat changing brake pads.
ogden
S1000XR | 990SMT | YZF-R6 #7

https://storify.com/eldaifo/istanbul-and-back

alien
675cc
675cc
City: Bangor
Year: 2012

Post by alien » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:29 am

I didnt take the wheel off.
Maybe that was the problem :?
"It is how we weather the storm that shows character and spirit. Enjoy the calm and show mastery in the circumstances of life "

Gpke
500cc
500cc
City: Antwerpen

Post by Gpke » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:19 pm

Also Bought the skidmarx hugger and got is send over to Belgium and got it realy quick so thats good but now im not installing it jet cuz thinking about to wrap my front and the new rear hugger with a Carbon look special wrapping foil anyone already did it? anyhow contacted a firm that does this so hope they have a quick and good respons so i dont have to do it myselfs :p
Suzuki Bandit 650N 2008
KTM SMT 2011 black

Gpke
500cc
500cc
City: Antwerpen

Post by Gpke » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:09 pm

The parts I Wrapped with carbon looking foil seperat, pick when installed on me bike will follow later :) looks realy great on the bike btw ^^
Attachments
IMG_0995 modified.jpg
Front Fender
IMG_0991 modified.jpg
Skidmarx back fender
IMG_0988 modified.jpg
Heat schields
Suzuki Bandit 650N 2008
KTM SMT 2011 black

Gpke
500cc
500cc