990cc
990cc
City: Darlington
Year: 2012
Colour: White
Model: SMT

Off road in scotland

Post by Thirdway » Tue Jun 16, 2015 9:07 am

Just had a few days away with the lads in Scotland. The SMT really shone. Lots of fast roads, sinuous curves, brilliant scenery and great seafood, but it was a short off road excursion that showed what the bike is capable of managing.

On the second ride out the lead rider was unknown to me. If you ride a lot in groups you get used to the preferences of the lead riders. Some like tiny c roads and others wide, fast A roads. It was a bit of a surprise when this new leader turned off the Tarmac and straight down a farm track. The track began as loose gravel, but quickly deteriorated into the type of track only passable with a tractor. Luckily there wasn't very much mud, but it was still pretty slippery in places.

The leader was riding a Triumph thunderbird. It was quite amazing how well it coped. The rest of us were on an assortment of adventure style bikes-1200 GS, Triumph explorers and Tiger 800s ( all shod with semi off road tyres ). I know that tyres make the biggest difference off road and my bike was wearing a pair of well worn PR3 road tyres which aren't ideal. At first I was cracking myself. The bike slithered and snaked on the deep, loose stones and one of the GSers passed me. Then It turned into soft dirt, I was riding in one of the tractor grooves. At that point I decided that if I was timid I would fall off. I stood up. Kept loose and went for it. I passed the GS that has overtaken me, then an explorer, then another and another until I got caught up with the floundering thunderbird. It was getting very side wards, but the rider kept on going in a kind of intense frenzy.

Turns out he hasn't meant to go down the farm tracks-just satnav error-but I was very pleased he had. I had always wondered if the SMT would cope off road, it always feels so balanced and has a dirt bike design behind it, but it came as a surprise as to how well it did cope-despite the road tyres-I was properly enjoying riding it up and down the verges and hollows. Really secure and soaked up the bumps easily. Now I'm beginning to wonder if I should find a spare set of wheels and fit some semi off road tyres and do a bit of green laning with it. Nothing too adventurous, but I reckon it would cope very easily with some of the bridle ways I take the mountain bike down.

bull 101
125cc
125cc
City: surrey
Year: 2012
Model: SMT

Re: Off road in scotland

Post by bull 101 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:42 pm

hats off to you mate I've got dirtbikes aswell as the smt, and I know what you mean about the balance,
but I don't even like getting the BIG bike dirty. just got back from France, had to do a bit of offroading in the campsite ha ha I'll have to get a sumpguard, Cheers Bernie