Craigslist find turns into epic cross country ride!

Share your travel adventures here.
Hotbrakes
125cc
125cc

Craigslist find turns into epic cross country ride!

Post by Hotbrakes » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 pm

Been a Super Duke owner for 6 years now, bought an R a few years ago for the track (and hopefully Pike's Peak one day) and have been in love with the SMT since it came out. I was perusing Craigslist a few weeks ago, keeping tabs on any hot deals for a RC8 or SMT or third SD...And stumbled upon a lowered SMT in Oregon. Showed it to my wife who currently rides a BMW F800S and she was interested. I thought it would be a cool road trip if I could find another one as that's about the only way I know to get a bike clear across the US. Well I lucked out and found one a hundred miles, and the price was cheaper than any SMT I'd seen yet. Some quick math revealed that we would be able to sell 4 bikes and pretty much completely fund these two. Sellers were contacted, arrangements made, plane tickets booked, and in two days we will be setting out from Portland on my SMT to pick hers up in Bend.

We've got 11 days to find our way home, right now the plan is to leave one day in reserve, and we'll do 400-500 miles a day. Together we've done a coast to coast trip two years ago for our honeymoon, I had done one previously on my VFR back in 2008. Lately the VFR bars have been too low, causing a lot of pain in my trap's and neck. A friend who has ridiculous neck pain when riding even short distances picked up a SMT and he is now able to ride all day and have no complaints at the end. The SD has been great, but doesn't offer quite enough wind/weather protection for long days on the interstate. I sorted the luggage shortcomings by mounting a pair of Triumph hard bags that I made custom brackets for. But it still lacked a few features needed for true touring. The SMT as every aspect of the VFR and SD that I love combined into one machine, I hate to get rid of those two amazing bikes, but having one do it all is worth it.