Hellboi
675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Twistybutt 2014 summer eddition aka Soggybutt

Post by Hellboi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:14 pm

"And when we crested that hill I saw the ocean. It was like a perfect surrealist painting in grey scale. Life just felt better at that moment."

Some of you may have read my Twistybutt 2014 report here, viewtopic.php?t=6684&f=6 but this was the summer edition.
3AM came quicker than a virgin in a whorehouse. Up and out the door with LifesHarlequin we zipped on down to the start point to meet up with the fellas. Weather was seemingly pleasant and the excitement for the day ahead was making my skin itch. Around 4AM Met up with the group at the combini round the corner from the usual start place, as it was now cordoned off with bamboo fencing. After a few snaps, sips and smokes we followed Cmac up the devils driveway where he annonced, "If that part scared ya, turn round and go home." True words indeed, but as the threat of rain scared off the timid, we were left with nothing but hardcore folks down to pound. at the lookout point was the copper glow of the sunrise sneaking up the west coast of Japan. Beautiful sight. Then we were off. Me and LH opted for the 800k route, so the day ahead was going to be a tough one, minimal stops for gas, piss and drinks were the plan.

As we ascended to the higher elevations the ceiling seemed to fall faster to meet us. By 6AM we were traversing the Minami alps at an average whopping speed of 25kph and a visibility of about 3 meters. The visors were pretty much useless so we ran with visors up, needle like raindrops stinging the eyes. This would be but an initiation for the trials later in the day. Conditions sporadically improved and deteriorated throughout the day. Anything from blazing hot sun and clear skies to cotton thick fog, to torrential downpour, but nothing could get our spirits down. We were having fun and we were determined to make this 800k if it kills us, and quite frankly, the possibility was there. I am always amazed by the beauty of this country and how fast it can change to an almost completely different feel. LH had mentioned Scotland earlier in the day, and Tennessee later on and I could totally see it. The roads stretched on endlessly before us and shown us natures beauty and wrath all in one.

Getting lost in your mind was too easy in such a surreal backdrop, music in the ears, and the hum of the bike below. By noon it was apparent that we would probably not be making the whole 800k due to conditions so we decided we would go until just before sundown then take the most direct route to the hotel. We weren't deciding to give up, we were just being rational. On a dry day the route would of been doable, but still a long one. This day it was just impossible. Somewhere along the line we picked up Alban and Silver Surfer to add to our merry band of nutters. we had to take a detour about 25k out of the way and back because the fuel stations were closed on the route and a couple of our bikes drink more than we do, but then back on track for more gnarls. Further on, as navi's sometimes do, they got a bit confused and we lost Alban to a turn off(he took the correct way). Myself SS and LH followed the navi route to a dead end to a mountain, but we looked skyward and lo, above us the road that went through the rock. DOH! Backtrack time, but not before LH tried to do a 3 point reversal on a cockeyed 30 degree hill and dropped the bike snapping his foot peg. Thank Buell for making the passenger pegs the same. (He would end up using both of em before we got home) Through the tunnel to yet another missed exit put us on a toll road heading 13k in the wrong direction to the first possible exit to turn around. Then the gates wouldn't go up for the ETC. Some fuzzy voiced guy starts yelling incoherent babble through the speaker. Sorry Japan, Aint nobody got time fo dat. Blasted past and carried on. More and more and more beautiful views, waterfalls, twisties, nature and tarmac.

Somewhere along the way we spot a familiar machine. It was Alban's Fireblade and he was nowhere to be found. We pulled in and noticed it had been dropped, mirror was off and some road rash on the side. Police and some old folks walked over to talk to us and we inquired if he was OK and where was he, He had some road rash as well and they carted him off to the Byoin. Cops being cops started drilling us for info as to why we were there, where arre we from, license plates, family history, evolution of man etc. Times like this when saying Nihongo wakarimassen really helps. They got thier claws into silver Surfer though as he was pretty fluent, then a van shows up. I start tapping my watch saying "Time, we gotta go!" and the cop wanted us to stay and kept taking to SS. Me and LH were like fuck this and started our engines. SS was stuck talking to em, but we figured if we leave, then he has an out because his friends left. so we rolled down the road a piece and waited. he showed up a couple minutes later.

Road conditions were pretty bad, they looked fine but slick as hell. I went into a corner a bit too hot and the whole bike cut loose, slid about 2 feet sideways, I righted myself just in time to smack a guardrail over a river. Luckily I hit it at such an angle that it actually knocked me back pointing in the right direction. Had to pull over and swallow my heart back down. From then on we took it a little slower. Around 5pm we were about 2/3 done with the route but decided we should probably go direct as the navi's estimated 3AM!! We found our way to some major roads and started south. I was the defacto leader of the group somehow and I failed to notice that my headset had stopped communicating with the GPS, we ended up in Nagoya or something. Decided to eat some rest stop ramen and have a sit. I communicated this with the group on our email chat, and I was told "Food is for fags!" hahahha. From there we headed back up north and eventually toward the coast.

By this time the sun had settled in for the night and the moon must of been on holiday. Black as black can be. Then came the rains. Not your average rain mind you, this was like riding through a waterfall that never ended. Painful torrential drops the size of Volkswagens. We were all soaked to the bone, shivering cold and slightly hypothermic when we reached the tunnels. Long savior tunnels of joy, like the birth canal of god. We eventually stopped in one for another break and contemplated sleeping in it, but decided to push on, Navi said 3 more hours. I have never in my life wished for a car to be in front of me but on this night it was all I could hope for. Visibility was zero, visor was fogged and soaked inside and out, but at those speeds there was no option to ride with it up.

By the time we reached the crotch of the pinnensula the navy said 1 hour. It said one hour for about an houre before that as well, and ended up taking about another 2 as we were now on surface roads, visors up doing about 20k on an 80k journey. Once in a while a car led our way so we made up some time but one of em seemed like a drunken farmer. We were better off falling back lest we cross center lines with him and end up as a hood ornament. Finally we made it to the hotel, dripping wet and covering the lobby in water. I actually had to ask for a second check in slip as the first one I filled out disintegrated as I was writing. Then the boys showed up from their beer and food adventure to greet us. It was great to see smiling drunken faces and talk a little story with them.

After a change of clothes we all sat down for a few beers and snack in the foyer next to a sleeping JamesK. Looked like some sort of lost bear who just had his fill of honey and was down for hibernation. Then to our surprise Alban the trooper showed up, Navi free, following a compass of all things!! It was great to see everyone eventually made it and all relatively safe. It was about 2AM when the last of us trickled off to our rooms. At the end of the day, Myself and LifesHarlequin had been in the saddle for 21 hours and traveled just over 1000km. It was an awesome adventure and I would do it all over again at the drop of a hat.

don't draw in watercolor on your map.
Bastards got there first after cutting the course before us
broke a peg
next day broke another peg
bane bear
above a dam
sleepy farm town
out of place building for Japan
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Re: Twistybutt 2014 summer eddition aka Soggybutt

Post by Hellboi » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:43 pm

Sorry the pics werent as good, but the rain spoiled most of the photo ops

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:01 pm

Jeesh, no love? I'm not an attention whore but a comment or two for an epic ride would be nice. :P

Yoozy
Supporter
Supporter
City: Extreme Mancunian.
Year: 2011
Colour: Black
Model: SMT

Post by Yoozy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:27 pm

Awwwww here's a cuddle right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ahh that's nice. Epic mate, looks a bladdy good place for bikes. Them Dukes are smart looking bikes.
A gut full of ale and a head full of magic.

WWW.TUONOWORLD.COM

FFlash
500cc
500cc
City: Portville
Year: 2014

Post by FFlash » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:45 pm

Sounds like a grueling journey that you're lucky to have gotten through in one piece! Funny the way that we're often ready to do it again after some booze and food and the memories of crying for mommy have faded.

What are you gaijin doing over there and how did you get your bikes there?

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
City: manchester
Year: 2011

Post by budgesrsv » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Who bit the nose off that poor bear :lol:

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:38 am

FFlash wrote:Sounds like a grueling journey that you're lucky to have gotten through in one piece! Funny the way that we're often ready to do it again after some booze and food and the memories of crying for mommy have faded.

What are you gaijin doing over there and how did you get your bikes there?
We are all here for different reasons, Some business, Some military, some just because we love it. I would reckon 99% of us bought our bikes here. Importing is expensive and takes a lot of time and patience. You can get pretty much anything here anyway, and if its power restricted, just flash the ECU. :D

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:39 am

Yoozy wrote:Awwwww here's a cuddle right now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ahh that's nice. Epic mate, looks a bladdy good place for bikes. Them Dukes are smart looking bikes.
HAHAHAH THAnks Manc!

orangepetrolcrush88
125cc
125cc
City: Santa Fe

Post by orangepetrolcrush88 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:50 am

great pics from that trip