675cc
675cc
City: Sagamihara
Year: 2010
Colour: White

Went on a little ride yesterday.

Post by Hellboi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:57 pm

SSTR Sunrise to Sunset Touring rally

So I heard about this thing through an event page on Facebook at the last minute on Friday evening. The premise is start anywhere on the east coast at sunrise and get to the west coast finish before sunset while getting points from certain requirements and checkpoints along the way. I had a weekend pass from the wife as I babysat until 1 am the same day so I figured, "What the hell, I'm gonna go.". I contacted James K who had posted about it and asked if he would mind if I tagged along. He was cool with that and sent me the GPS coordinates for the meeting spot the next morning in Ito Izu. Well I packed the bike and was ready to roll about 2:30 AM. Since the meeting time was 5:30 I figured I would leave then and nap at the beach. Got to the area about 3:45 and was looking for Michi no Eki. With my limited Japanese I figured Eki was a train stop so I rolled up and down that street several times until I found a cab driver at the fuel pump who kindly walked to the street and pointed to the other side for me. Turns out it was not a train station, just a cute name for a boat harbour/amusement area. Embarrassed I bid him an arrigatto and rode the grueling 150 meters to the parking lot and unrolled my mat and tried to nap while waiting for the other riders to arrive. I was excited, like a kid on Christmas eve. it had been a few weeks since I had ridden anything other than from work and back and years since I did any sort of distance ride. My nap time turned into close my eyes until any faint sound of an engine was approaching. Well 5:30 came and went so I gave James a call, he and his pal were stuck in traffic and would be there shortly So I was off to fuel up, as soon as I do they passed by.
We meet up and say our greetings as none of us have actually met before then they pop thier bikes on the walkway for what I assumed was just a quick photo op, then they start affixing decals and speaking of technicalities and other things. I quickly realized that if I read Japanese I would have known that this event had a pre registration requirement. Damn. Well I figured I would tag a long for a bit then venture off on my own and I told the fellas my plan to just tag along for a bit then split off and take photos here and there on the way to the goal where I planned to camp and meet them and the other finishers.
After a quick stop at the conbini for supplies and a snack we were off. I immediately realized that these guys were on a mission. We sped through the streets of Ito and it was a great beginning to the day. Then we hit the twisty road on the way to Atami. Second thing I realized is that neither of those two share my fear of Japanese drivers. We had been riding together for about 15 minutes and I just was too chicken shit to pass idiot cagers on a winding road. I've been hit by 2 too many cars already so I am car shy. On to phase 2 free day to ride around and snap photos of shit. Well I did not bring my Nikon so my only option was the keitai, which doubled as my GPS and music player. Plugging and unplugging, pulling it off and on to the mount and resetting the GPS got to be quite tedious for some sub par images, so In came my next Idea. Take the longest route I could figure while still getting me to the goal before sundown. I popped the end into the gps and got suggested routes, chose the longest suggested and tweaked it as I went taking many side roads and pretty much riding whichever way kept me going in the general direction. Saw tons of beautiful and interesting things along the way and almost ran out of gas once. It was a really good ride that I wish I had a whole weekend to do with my proper camera. Anyway I made it to the end about an hor before sundown and riding down the beach was awesome. I almost wiped out as soon as I got there as I hit a soft sand rut, but my trusty leg hit the ground and made sure the bike bounced off it before righting myself, Ouch. As I neared the goal people were cheering and snapping pics but I was kind of waving to them saying "Look I am not an actual participant" but it was still kinda cool anyway. I walked around a bit and talked to some folks, poked around at the bikes and had a smoke. Then I got the call I had to watch my son earlier than planned the next day. Well, time to dust off that seat and keep pushin. On the way bake I took the northern route and went further than suggested up and around Nagano. By this time I was in the mindset of practicing for Some Iron Butt stuff. I already had done about 7 hours ride on 3 hours nap from the night before, whats a few more eh?? I'm glad I did the south route in the daytime because it was more open air scenic stuff, the north was mostly tunnels, which I didn't mind, Nice and warm and no wind. Made for some fast travel. I actually think I started imagining I was time traveling or some shit from the lack of sleep but it was fun basting through them with quick nips of 10c air outside and in between. All in all a great ride and I will definitely sign up next year officially.
Here is an approximate route I took from google maps, My tracker put me at 1,416 KM. Time I left my house until time I arrived was 20 hours, but there was about 6.5 hours down time in between due to various things. So actual riding time I would say 13.5 hours. Such a fun time but I am sore as hell.

And some crappy pics from the android
http://s861.photobucket.com/user/noregr ... brary/CCTR
And where might a fellow like me find such a glorious spatula?

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Re: Went on a little ride yesterday.

Post by Hellboi » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Hmm map pic not showing, Odd, Well here it is. http://s861.photobucket.com/user/noregr ... 8.jpg.html

adcolor
Supporter
Supporter
City: Denver
Year: 2012

Post by adcolor » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:50 am

Sounds like as good a reason for a ride as any!
And this time of year (especially) they all count.
Mods: arrow exhaust, 2nd flies removed, plugged air injection caps, JC30-80 air filter, 44T sprocket, 80w high beam, short levers, weighted bar ends, Rox risers, remapped ecu, heated grips, horn, radiator screen, crash bar, skid plate, backrest.

Hellboi
675cc
675cc

Post by Hellboi » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:05 am

adcolor wrote:Sounds like as good a reason for a ride as any!
And this time of year (especially) they all count.
Indeed!

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011

Post by Muppet » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:49 pm

Wow!

That looks like a helluva ride to me, gotta say I'm dead jealous of that. I've not had the chance to ride a bike over there yet, only drive, so I really envy you. There are some seriously good roads, but I know what you mean about the drivers, they're not the best in the world!

Thanks for posting HB, I notice you didn't have your fancy sculpted seat on the bike for that trip. did you?
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

downunder
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mount Gambier
Year: 2014

Post by downunder » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Muppet wrote:I know what you mean about the drivers, they're not the best in the world!
My youngest daughter just got back from a school trip to Japan.
She now thinks i am a very skilled and safe driver - they must be bad.
The family she was staying with kept giving her funny looks coz she used a seat belt when in the car with them :shock:
Gone but not forgotten: '74 Honda XL100, '75 Suzi TS100, '76 Suzi T500, '78 Yam XT500, '80 Suzi GSX1100ET, '81 Suzi GSX100EX, '84 Honda VF1000R, '99 Honda CBR900RR, '10 KTM 990SMT

limeyduffa
675cc
675cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Post by limeyduffa » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:53 am

Sounds like a great event :). Thanks for sharing. Pity there isn't an event like this in Australia. Although, getting from coast to coast from sunup to sundown here would have it's complications :lol:

myorangetracks88
125cc
125cc
City: Santa Fe

Post by myorangetracks88 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:12 am

wow! what an amazing ride :shock: