A/F ratio ok based on header color?

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter
City: Zion
Year: 2015
Colour: Black & Orange
Model: SMT

A/F ratio ok based on header color?

Post by Buck49x » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:33 pm

Does anyone else have a header that looks this color? I'm curious as I have a non standard map loaded and the bike seems to run beautifully but I'm thinking that the header has gotten quite hot hence the blue color. I'd like some guys input on this. Thanks in advance!
Attachments
IMG_2952-1.JPG
IMG_2951.JPG

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Re: A/F ratio ok based on header color?

Post by Gimlet » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:43 pm

Have the pipes been polished? If they have will they not go brown again in time?
Or are they after-market titanium pipes which will go blue and stay blue..

Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Buck49x » Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:20 am

They are stock and have not been polished. Exactly how they came on the bike.

Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Buck49x » Tue Nov 15, 2016 2:48 am

At the beginning of this season I put some wings slip ons on and loaded a map from someone who had the same set up as me (wings,K&N filter,SAS blocked, O2 sensors shut of, EPC unticked) I noticed nearing the end of season the headers turned blue and made me wonder if the bike is running lean. Bike hes been running well and pops very slightly when RPMs are high and slowing down with engine braking. But other than that the bike has been great. Is ths a sign of running lean?

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Tue Nov 15, 2016 4:03 am

Popping on the over-run is usually a sign of unburnt fuel which suggest rich running. But its possible to be running rich in one part of the fuel map and lean in another. Unfortunately no two engines run exactly the same even if they share the same spec. Generic maps don't always suit every bike. You really need to get the bike checked on a dyno.
I mentioned the pipes because yours look quite shiny. I'd expect shiny headers, even stainless ones, to produce a certain amount of bluing before going darker.

Buck49x
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Buck49x » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:51 am

Yea I mean the bike runs very well but in the spring I will take to dyno to see how map works with my bike. I guess if it is running too lean in certain RPM's i will load the akra map as I have heard it is quite rich. We will see. I only put on approx 2K for mileage this summer so maybe they just look blue since I haven't ridden it too much.