Leo Vince vs Wings

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
bigred
Supporter
Supporter
City: Melbourne
Year: 2013
Model: SMT

Leo Vince vs Wings

Post by bigred » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 pm

Hi All

This question may well be like "which oil is best?" but I'm going to ask for your thoughts anyway!

Wings exhaust looks great but the best OZ price I can find is close to $1200 delivered.

Leo Vince SBK LV ONE EVO II (8414 - stainless with carbon end cap) I can get to my door for $728. Love the interweb, most places are asking north of $1000 for these pipes.

I will be stripping the SAS and fitting an ITG filter to the bike as well as changing pipes, and likely to ride with baffles out most of the time.

My sense is the Leos are a good deal at that price and there is no reason not to pull the trigger.

But being the over thinking type :roll: I have to ask: does anyone think the Wings are a better buy and can let me know why?

Cheers
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Leo Vince vs Wings

Post by bigred » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:43 pm

On reflection overthinking is not so much fun, but new pipes are! :D

Have ordered from Emlineamoto.com for $718, including xpress delivery to Oz.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc
City: Dorset
Year: 2010
Colour: Black

Post by Gimlet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:20 am

So is it the Leo Vinces you've ordered? If so try them with the baffles in first. You have to pretty much take the cans apart to get them out and most people find they're plenty loud enough as they are, especially with a foam airbox.
You'll obviously need a remap with a foam airbox but the Leo cans on an otherwise standard bike don't run quite right either. You'll find the acceleration is down everywhere except the extreme top end. The standard bike is mapped for highly restrictive catted cans and it will never run right with de-cat straight-throughs unless the fuelling is corrected. The LVs really need at least the Akra map and preferably a full custom remap so be prepared for that. Get it mapped properly and then its a different story. And a different bike.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:37 am

Thanks Gimlet.

Yes, I have ordered the Leos. Plan is Leos, ITG filter, remove SAS. I have my cables to run TuneECU so will then try maps to find the best one, tweak maps as required, and if absolutely needed will go to a dyno tuner.

If the baffles are hard to get out of the Leos that will be appreciated by my neighbors, I default to loud and powerful on the pipe front.

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:45 am

While you're fitting the airbox you could try the RC8 velocity stack on the front cylinder. Supposed to fatten mid-range torque up a little. I've just ordered one for mine. It was only £3. I've got the Leos, DNA box, SAS removed etc. No complaints about the bike as it is but I thought I'd have a play.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:14 am

I've ordered RC8 stacks ($12 AUD, we are getting gouged :) )

After getting such a sweet deal I now have an email from emlineamoto saying the 8414 are no longer manufactured so they can supply the 8414E, as pictured..

Thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0392.JPG

Gimlet
900cc
900cc

Post by Gimlet » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:35 am

They look exactly the same as mine. The only difference over the old ones as far as I can see is that the end cones are now carbon and the logo has changed. For the better in my view. The old yellow and blue design was a bit naff IMO.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:39 am

Pipes on, very happy with fit and quality. Getting the factory cans off was fun - bolts well rusted holding flange to cans.
Baffle out is loud, but not too loud. Seems just right to make it hard for traffic to not notice me and the bike pulls harder as well.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Post by bigred » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:28 am

Gimlet wrote:So is it the Leo Vinces you've ordered? If so try them with the baffles in first. You have to pretty much take the cans apart to get them out and most people find they're plenty loud enough as they are, especially with a foam airbox.
You'll obviously need a remap with a foam airbox but the Leo cans on an otherwise standard bike don't run quite right either. You'll find the acceleration is down everywhere except the extreme top end. The standard bike is mapped for highly restrictive catted cans and it will never run right with de-cat straight-throughs unless the fuelling is corrected. The LVs really need at least the Akra map and preferably a full custom remap so be prepared for that. Get it mapped properly and then its a different story. And a different bike.
The baffles on mine are a 60 second job to remove. One rubber grommet and one (4mm?) Allen key bolt. The first time they came out I had to pull the pipes off and use a broom stick up the pipe to move them (thanks Kev!) but now they are in and out as needed.
That said, I can't see why you would ride with them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Riggsbie
50cc
50cc
City: Jan Juc

Post by Riggsbie » Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:51 am

Hey bigred,

Where did you buy the RC8 stacks in Oz ?

Your post just made me order the Leo Vince mufflers :)

Cheers

bigred
Supporter
Supporter

Leo Vince vs Wings

Post by bigred » Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:19 am

I'm really happy with the pipes after a month, and with the ITG filter and remap the bike is so much smoother.
I got the RC8 stack from KTM (Peter Stevens) for $12 - cheapest genuine part ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk