New metal threads in silencers SMT -10

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm
Year: 2010
Model: SMT

New metal threads in silencers SMT -10

Post by Magic Wand » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:30 pm

Hi all orange/black/white riders 8-)

Wanted to do some "polishing work" for the silencers on my SMT 2010.

First problem was to loosen the bolts in the silencers - because they got stucked due to rust.
Rusted bolts.jpg
Managed to break 4 bolts, only 2 came loose without breaking them.

Drilled the rusty bolts out (qiute hard work with only a hand hold drilling machine and cheap drills):
Muffler.jpg
After drilling:
Drilled holes.jpg
Bought a thread repar kit (M8 thread) and made new threads by using the tap and insert the new threads (stainless steel threads):
New thread.jpg
This is how it looks like nowadays:
New threads.jpg
The original bolts is NOT made of stainless steel. I plan to use non stainless bolts but with hexagonal socket.
I have a question about stainless steel (in the silencer and the plate being attached from the exhaust pipes to the silencer) and no stainless bolts. Should I use a copper washer between the bolt head and the stainless plate (the triangular one on the exhaust system, close to the silencers)?
/M
Last edited by Magic Wand on Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

budgesrsv
990cc
990cc
City: manchester
Year: 2011
Colour: Black

Re: New threads in silencers SMT -10

Post by budgesrsv » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:01 am

I replaced my bolts with stainless steel cap head Allen screws. I used stainless steel spring washers and a dab of anti-seize compound on the threads. I haven't had a problem in the 2 years since doing this.

Magic Wand
Supporter
Supporter
City: Sthlm

Re: New threads in silencers SMT -10

Post by Magic Wand » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Hi!
Ok, that´s great news :)

I hesitated to use stainless steel bolts because of the risk that the heat from the silencer could make the material in the bolts and in the silencer steel threads bond together... But if I use copper paste or similar on the bolts steel threads it will not be a problem.

Thanks!

/M

Boz69
50cc
50cc
City: GLENROTHES

Re: New metal threads in silencers SMT -10

Post by Boz69 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Hi . I could get mines of either. Took it off at the join to main link pipe the ground the bastards off with angle grinder. Then drilled and tapped new holes between old ones as the flange and be turned round to suit. Drilled out my cats and cut 38mm hole in the next plate in and now i can see right through. Then loaded akra map. Runs and sound sweet but still not deadening and didn't cost anything.
This is my first post. Tried to upload some pics but didnt work.[URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/user/
[URL=http://s968.photobucket.com/user/