Exhaust reviews please

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
Sweetwater
250cc
250cc
City: Salty City
Year: 2010
Colour: Black & Orange

Exhaust reviews please

Post by Sweetwater » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:47 pm

I have a clean '10 SMT with stock exhaust and 6K miles so I'm looking hard at alternative systems.

I have found the FAX to remove only the Cat and leave the baffles:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/Farkels/adve ... haust.html

I have found a post on removing both the cat and baffles:

http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/240 ... sts-5.html

Both those options are very cheap to accomplish. What is the sound like and does anyone have experience?
I have also established that the SMT and SMR share the same exhaust cans on the official KTM microfiche so
aftermarket systems should be compatible between the bikes. For some reason the SMR aftermarket pipes are a bit less expensive.

Fleabay now has MSR and MIVV exhausts at the lower end of the expense scale. Does anyone on the
board have experience with them or the GPR systems? I'd love the Akra's and have thought about
pulling them off my 990 Adv since mine have adjustable mounts and would rotate to fit the SMT
but then I have to replace them with something.....oh, the horror.....in my best Marlon Brando voice....

Any thoughts or suggestions on other alternatives are greatly appreciated.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Re: Exhaust reviews please

Post by kevxtx » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:44 pm

They will still be heavy, here are some cheap pipes that could be made to fit: http://stores.ebay.com.au/delkevic-au01 ... 7675.l2563

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks, you seem to have a great deal of experience.

I did note that the stock cat was only 1 lb, less than half a kilo in the first thread.
But, it you pull the baffles as shown in the second thread, that sleeve and baffle system
must be significant, although I haven't seen a documented weight. Also, I like the stainless
look but not the weight or heat.

Does getting rid of the cat stop the heat build up? I'm pretty sure that pulling the sleeve and
baffles results in less heat and weight because it's just a flow through pipe at that stage.

kevxtx
City: Brisbane
Year: 2014

Post by kevxtx » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:24 am

Removing the cat & blocking off the SAS system reduces the heat in the pipe by quite a bit.

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:01 am

Frankly, shirley and unexpectedly, a set of FMF Q4's dropped into my possession at a very affordable price so I'm going to pull the stockers and gut them when the opportunity presents. Thanks for the responses, I got some edumacation with them....cheers

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:12 am

Update for those left with SMT's....I took my buddy to buy a new 1190R last week and we took a ride up one of the local canyons....

I hooked up a set of stands to the bike this afternoon, pulled the stainless canisters and replaced them with the FMF's. They are proof that exhausts from the 990 Adv really do fit the 990 SMT without issues....took my time, lined them up and put everything together again....wonderful sound from the bike and while it ran into the low 90'sF here with an altitude of 4800 ft, the bike seems to run smoother and cooler based on the need for the fan to kick on....

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Wed Jan 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Bingo, bango, bongo.....I've seen the light.....my 1190R does not mind an SMT next to it in the shed....but I can only ride one at a time.

I've just found the 17/17 wheelset on the SMT too alluring for our canyons and around town hooliganisms so I'm back in the SMT saddle again.

Checking in here because I'm going to update the new 2012 with some Lexx aftermarket pipes. Best new solution I could find to those heavy steel burners that it comes with....I now have two sets if anyone wants them.....

Will post photos when the new set is mounted.

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:03 pm

2012 990 SMT fitted with Lexx system...runs much cooler, sounds great. No re-mapping, 15 minute ECU reset...no worries..... :mrgreen:

Muppet
City: Bath
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by Muppet » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Nice but get rid of those awful exhaust guards, let's see the bloody cans properly man! :mrgreen:
This is what I do with mine....

http://www.bikersoracletours.com

eric
125cc
125cc
City: Sao Paulo
Year: 2015
Model: SMT

Post by eric » Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:12 pm

what do you guys think oh this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Motorcycle-Cust ... b5&vxp=mtr

to risky? given the currency exchange rate this is pretty much all I can afford for my SMT!

Sweetwater
250cc
250cc

Post by Sweetwater » Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:24 pm

The KTM 990's exhaust has a bolt pattern that will prevent a slip on exhaust from working. Pull off an OEM and you'll see. The Lexx system included adapters, the Ebay system is strictly slip on. I don't know if you can do surgery to get the slip on to fit the exhaust pipe.