Akrapovics fitting and map.

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Re: Akrapovics fitting and map.

Post by Windblown » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:39 am

King Tut wrote:
Windblown wrote:Congrats on the new exhausts. After 6 weeks of back and forth I finally received shipping confirmation that my Akrapovic exhaust is enroute and should arrive this coming Thursday. Can't wait to get them mounted up.
Did you get them? Are they on yet? Enjoy mine, who did you order from?
I got the exhaust from Powersports Junkie. There were some issues with getting the y-pipe and mounting hardware but they got with Akropovic and made it happen. Picked up the box yesterday and installed them this morning. Disabled and plugged the SAS and I'm running the Akropovic map for now. I pulled the dbkillers before ever firing up the bike and man... it's loud, LOL. They may have to go back in.

Bike is running very smooth. I can get much lower in the RPMs now compared to stock and not get jerked to death or have to listen to the motor making death rattle sounds and it feels very smooth throughout the RPM range. However opening the throttle in high gear with rpms under 5 grand on the interstate makes for a lot of noise but not a lot of acceleration. I don't think it's actually accelerating slower, more that the proportion of noise to acceleration has changed. I will likely play with mapping a bit to see if I can clean it up. I'm working on making an arrangement for dyno time with my laptop and cable in hand so I can make some changes and check A/F ratios and as well as HP changes versus relying on the butt dyno.

JJay51
City: UK
Year: 2014
Colour: White
Model: Adventure

Post by JJay51 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:47 am

Windblown wrote:
King Tut wrote:
Windblown wrote:Congrats on the new exhausts. After 6 weeks of back and forth I finally received shipping confirmation that my Akrapovic exhaust is enroute and should arrive this coming Thursday. Can't wait to get them mounted up.
Did you get them? Are they on yet? Enjoy mine, who did you order from?
I got the exhaust from Powersports Junkie. There were some issues with getting the y-pipe and mounting hardware but they got with Akropovic and made it happen. Picked up the box yesterday and installed them this morning. Disabled and plugged the SAS and I'm running the Akropovic map for now. I pulled the dbkillers before ever firing up the bike and man... it's loud, LOL. They may have to go back in.

Bike is running very smooth. I can get much lower in the RPMs now compared to stock and not get jerked to death or have to listen to the motor making death rattle sounds and it feels very smooth throughout the RPM range. However opening the throttle in high gear with rpms under 5 grand on the interstate makes for a lot of noise but not a lot of acceleration. I don't think it's actually accelerating slower, more that the proportion of noise to acceleration has changed. I will likely play with mapping a bit to see if I can clean it up. I'm working on making an arrangement for dyno time with my laptop and cable in hand so I can make some changes and check A/F ratios and as well as HP changes versus relying on the butt dyno.
You may find its fuelling too rich, my dyno run last week showed it running way too rich at 5% and 100% throttle openings, went from 113bhp on #9 map to 105bhp on akra map

Windblown
500cc
500cc
City: Woodstock, VA
Year: 2013
Colour: Black

Post by Windblown » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:08 am

Yup, rich it is, LOL. They probably run it on the rich side to account for variances between motors and not have a map that's too lean.

Did a bit over 300 miles today on backroads. I wanted to do a bit more but cut it short due to rain. Love the sound of the open exhausts when running a sporting pace but will HAVE to put the dbkillers in to keep the peace around home. I live in a VERY quiet rural setting and coming home at 1am from work with those open pipes will not make me popular with the couple of neighbors I share a road with.

King Tut
675cc
675cc
City: Peardale
Year: 2010

Post by King Tut » Mon Jul 22, 2013 3:21 am

Windblown wrote: Love the sound of the open exhausts when running a sporting pace but will HAVE to put the dbkillers in to keep the peace around home. I live in a VERY quiet rural setting and coming home at 1am from work with those open pipes will not make me popular with the couple of neighbors I share a road with.
Understand how quiet the country can be at night but the forest rats would hear you coming.

scarab1987
125cc
125cc
City: xylokastro
Year: 2014
Model: SMT

Post by scarab1987 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:57 am

i am going to fit AKRAPOVIC exhausts and AKRAPOVIC map.i would like to fit a DNA filter inside the stock airbox and a SAS removal kit.i need another map for this mods or the AKRA map is enough?

is there any impovement at power with these mods?

ted99
250cc
250cc
City: san jose

Post by ted99 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:21 pm

I have the EXACT same question. I was already running Akra's with akra map. I just installed a filter (ITG/with Rottweiler baseplate) and removed the SAS. The bike seems to run fine with the Akra map. If it's not smoking and it runs fine, do I need to download a new map?

djtrik
250cc
250cc
City: Dry Ridge
Year: 2012

Post by djtrik » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:46 pm

You're introducing more air into the fuel mix so yeah I'd say it's important to run new maps. More air but same amount of fuel means it's running lean. Running lean is more fuel efficient but it's also hotter.

Go check out the Power commander 5 and Tune ECU map thread and grab a map that matches closest to your bike setup. There's plenty out there to choose from. Just remember if you're in an area where ethanol is in most of the gas pumps around you then you may need to richen up the fuel map by about 2% to compensate since most of those maps are from countries that don't mix ethanol with their fuel.

ted99
250cc
250cc
City: san jose

Post by ted99 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Thanks for the reply. I've been hearing that the Akra map runs too rich. So I was hoping that someone would say "Yeah, the Akra map is too rich unless you have an after market filter. Then it's close to perfect."

But I haven't heard anyone say that yet, so it sound like I'll need to download one of Kev's maps.

Another thing I haven't heard is "You can use the Akra map with Akra's and Rottweiler, just richen the Akra map 5% for all values (or above 2k rpm), or something like that. So I guess that's not a good option either.

Ted