JC Exhausts

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
shaun-m
675cc
675cc
City: Hartlepool
Year: 2010

Re: JC Exhausts

Post by shaun-m » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:07 pm

Has anyone got a recording of their JC's with the decibel killers in ? I'd like to compare the sound before I decide what to do with mine. :?

manxzulu
250cc
250cc
City: South Shields
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by manxzulu » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:14 am

Did you ever get your JCE cans? I have some on mine and they sound fantastic. I have to leave the baffles in when out with my mates as they do not like following me. Too LOUD!!!!
It actually runs better with the baffles in and seems to have smoothed the throttle out a bit without changing anything else.

deee-blue
500cc
500cc
City: chichester
Colour: Black

Post by deee-blue » Fri Apr 03, 2015 4:58 pm

I ride with DB killers in, it sounds better for normal riding and as I have a Rottweiler air filter I get a loud roar from the air intake. Nether two together make the bike sound great, from the riders position anyway.
KTM SMT

phxrider
250cc
250cc
City: Gilbert
Model: SMT

Post by phxrider » Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:13 am

Has anyone noticed an issue with their JC Exhaust where the brackets hold the pipe too low, so the muffler is incorrectly aligned with the pipe? I just had to replace the distributor tube part (the Y shaped part of the pipe which the mufflers bolt onto) due to cracking, and that turned out to be the culprit. When correctly aligned, the bolt holes for the distributor tube sit about a quarter inch below the holes in the frame. I'm not a happy camper at the moment, as the distributor tube is a pretty pricey part....

I'm currently running without the bolts in, but I wonder if JC has redesigned the muffler bracket since I bought mine...?
-Rob
--
2010 990 SMT, 2008 690 SMR

manxzulu
250cc
250cc
City: South Shields
Year: 2011
Colour: White

Post by manxzulu » Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:06 am

Everything lined up ok on mine. No problems with them so far but will watch for that.

deee-blue
500cc
500cc
City: chichester
Colour: Black

Post by deee-blue » Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:00 pm

I had an issue with the bracket holes not lining up but a round file sorted that out.
KTM SMT

phxrider
250cc
250cc
City: Gilbert
Model: SMT

Post by phxrider » Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:46 pm

This is the issue... the "bands" that go around the muffler and hold it up have the muffler sitting a bit too low. This is the natural lineup of the distributor tube (the pipe part shown in the 2nd pic) bracket holes when mounted to the JC mufflers.... Note that it does not line up, the pipe sits too low. We figured this out when replacing a cracked distributor tube.
0413151609.jpg
This was the reason for the crack... If you were installing the slip-ons originally, you would not have any reason to remove the distributor tube bolts and would just mount it up and tighten it down... With the bolts in, the muffler meets the distributor tube like a "V", rather than perfectly parallel like ||. When you tighten it up, this puts undue pressure on the distributor tube, eventually resulting in this on both sides:
0414150920a.jpg
The proper fix is for the muffler bracket to hold the muffler a bit higher so the muffler and pipe line up parallel. So I was wondering if this was ever fixed by JC or done as a running change in production... I don't think there's enough metal to file out the hole in the pipe mount so it lines up correctly, and don't really want to be screwing with my $400 part and end up having to replace it AGAIN... So I'm currently running it with the bolts out as a (hopefully) temporary solution. It doesn't look like this puts any undue stress on the exhaust to have it this way, still cheesy though.
-Rob
--
2010 990 SMT, 2008 690 SMR