Interesting result.

Power, noise, mapping, price, and the ever popular : "More power or just noise?"
Rakamora
125cc
125cc
City: Uppsala
Year: 2013
Model: SMT

Interesting result.

Post by Rakamora » Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Hello, i have been riding the ktm 990 smt for a couple of years now. And i always thought the throttle was really twitchy and it was hard to drive, i thought it was the nature of the bike(made a thread about the twitchy throttle). But then after the inspection i had to change back to the original cans from my aftermarket leovince(i bought the bike used with leovince installed, and got the stock exhaust to when i bought the bike.)

And when i went for a test ride i was mindblown, it was like a different bike!

Throttle was now butter smooth, it didnt jump forward when you rolled on the throttle in the corners, almost throwing you into the ditch. It didnt nosedive when you rolled off the throttle, and you did not need to release the throttle with surgical precision anymore. And the added weight almost makes it feel better to drive :D

The cons that i have noticed is :
1. A bit lamer sound(quite comfortable actually.)
2. Really hot mufflers
3.Maybe a little weaker performance(but more than enough for me).
4.Heavier

But the pros far outweighs the cons which is far easier bike to ride, more fun to ride because it feels more safe and manageable, really smooth throttle compared to before!

So the question is why is there such a hype for aftermarket exhausts ? Do people really want to sound loud and cool with the compromise of the ride-ability of the bike ?

Or does everybody that mounts a aftermarket exhaust also retune the engine with the correct throttle-MAP?

Just an interesting find, i will fore sure be selling my Leovince pipes and be running the stock ones =)

limeyduffa
900cc
900cc
City: Adelaide
Year: 2012
Colour: Black

Re: Interesting result.

Post by limeyduffa » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:39 pm

I disagree. I wanted to keep up SMT stock for legal/inspection reasons, but the stock throttle response was beyond horrible. Especially at the test emissions rev range (4500 RPM). Yes, I agree about the weights and balances benefit.

bigred
Supporter
Supporter
City: Melbourne
Year: 2013

Re: Interesting result.

Post by bigred » Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:33 am

Hey Rakamora, for me the benefits of my Leo Vince pipes with no baffles are:
- 6kg weight loss
- more power available more consistently across the rev range
- its mentally loud so people are more likely to notice me and not kill/main me

It did need a change to the ECU map, and while maps from this forum were pretty good getting a custom map done was a whole lot better. I went to Race Centre in Albert St, Brunswick and they were great.

Each to their own, but I would never chose to return to stock pipes.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - HST