mcracr
125cc
125cc
City: Philadelphia
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

License plate holder

Post by mcracr » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:56 pm

So I'm trying to put on my FL license plate, but it doesn't line up with the holes in the stock plate holder. What's up with that? Never had a problem with any other bikes, they usually have a slotted hole to adapt to different bolt distances.

IMO the 4 bolts look like they can hold an adapter for different plates for different countries. Seems like it's missing from crate setup. I find it hard to believe that a $20k motorcycle doesn't have a proper plate holder, much less at a minimum the bolts that go in there. I shouldn't have to drill my plate to make it fit and then buy the bolt and lock washer from Home Depot.

Was anyone able to mount up their license plate on the stock bike without any modifications?

I know there are aftermarket options, but I don't mind the stock look. I'll ride it for a while before I make updates. Well, maybe I'll get a Corbin seat first...

Thomas54
125cc
125cc
City: Hinton
Year: 2018

Re: License plate holder

Post by Thomas54 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:18 pm

I had to drill out my plate to fit (hopefully I don't get stopped for that). Mine did come with bolts/washer/nut but that was because there is also a modification in Canada (courtesy Transport Canada) which requires rear side reflectors which must be visible when side cases are attached. My wife got a recall on her 17 F800GT for the same thing.

Anyway when I picked up my bike in February they included basically a metal strip with reflectors on either end to bolt to the plate holder plus bolts etc. I am surprised the bike didn't come with some sort of adapter for North American plates but if thats the only issue I'll be happy.

The only thing I've ordered so far is the SW Mototech top case rack which is on backorder right now.

Cheers

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:45 am

Thanks for the info Thomas.

That sounds like what it should have - a strip of metal to bolt onto the main piece that accommodates the particular country plate.

Guess I'll be heading to Home Depot to find a strip of aluminum to drill, paint black, then attach to the stock piece. Just not what should happen for $20k...

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston

Post by jjscsix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:41 am

mcracr wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:45 am
Thanks for the info Thomas.

That sounds like what it should have - a strip of metal to bolt onto the main piece that accommodates the particular country plate.

Guess I'll be heading to Home Depot to find a strip of aluminum to drill, paint black, then attach to the stock piece. Just not what should happen for $20k...
Mine did come with a strip of metal. It also has reflectors visible from the side that are part of the strip of metal. Perhaps a visit to the dealer is in order
Last edited by jjscsix on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

Clogan
250cc
250cc
City: Harrison
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Clogan » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 am

mcracr wrote:Thanks for the info Thomas.

Yup, had to make my own mounting plate too. Pretty sad indeed that such a fine bike cannot be easily plated in the USA.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston

Post by jjscsix » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:50 am

Clogan wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:42 am
mcracr wrote:Thanks for the info Thomas.

Yup, had to make my own mounting plate too. Pretty sad indeed that such a fine bike cannot be easily plated in the USA.

You and I posted about the same time. See my comment above. I tried to attach a picture but for the life of me cannot get the function below to insert a file in my post.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter

Post by GaryCulb » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 am

Do not know if this will assist? When I mounted my license plate used this https://www.powercellperformance.com/sh ... dventures/. Worked pretty good. Best,

Doc :? :?

Clogan
250cc
250cc

Post by Clogan » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:41 am

Only thing I can figure is that motorcycle license plates in Austria must be shaped like a trapezoid.

dasjefe
125cc
125cc
City: TAYLOR

Post by dasjefe » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:31 pm

For a few dollars more... well ok, about 60 bucks more, you can buy the OEM fender eliminator for the GT (PN 61408915544). I installed it yesterday and it looks pretty sharp. The routing for the indicator and plate light wiring is kind of unimpressive though. This item no workie for the garage door sized euro plates.

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:16 am

Just ordered this - nice piece of kit. Exactly what should be included with every USA bike for license plate mounting.

I'll be letting my dealer know and KTM directly. Ridiculous we have to order this from the aftermarket...

Thanks Doc!
GaryCulb wrote:
Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:12 am
Do not know if this will assist? When I mounted my license plate used this https://www.powercellperformance.com/sh ... dventures/. Worked pretty good. Best,

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:02 pm

And it's shipped today! Will post pics when attached.

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:41 am

Got the plate adapter today - so excited! But it doesn't fit...

Bolt pattern for stock license plate holder:
Upper holes are 4 1/8" center to center across
Lower holes are 3 3/4" center to center across
Holes are 2 3/4" from top to bottom

Plate adapter is 4" across by 3 1/4" top to bottom - so no go.

WTH is going on??? Doc - what year is your GT that it fitted this adapter plate onto the stock plate holder? See pic of me trying to line it up - not even close to matching!
SD GT Adapter Plate Mismatch.jpg
Powercell Adapter Mismatch

Did anyone in the USA mount their license plate properly? I attached a pic with a Cali USA plate on it. So something is there to mount it, but I'm not seeing it anywhere online.
SD GT USA Plate.jpg
SD GT USA Plate

Did see one pic with a flat bar and red side reflectors on it that might work, but there's got to be something nicer like the Powercell piece.
SD GT Adapter Plate Reflectors.jpg
GT Adapter Reflector Bar

Seriously, I'm getting pissed that I have to make something up to mount my license plate on a $20k motorcycle.

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc

Post by GaryCulb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 11:20 am

I have attached pictures of my 2017 KTM SDGT license plate adaptor installed. I was only able attach the billet license plate adaptor to the upper two screws. Then, I attached my admore rear brake/ turn signal light to the lower two screws & the license plate to the billet license plate adaptor. It is very secure. Maybe they sent you the wrong part?? Best,

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:43 pm

Thanks for the pics Doc - maybe this isn't the correct plate adapter, even though I followed your link. They don't have a specific "GT" option, but I'll ring them up today to see what they have.

I'm thinking of getting a blinking brake light bar, do it like yours.

Clogan
250cc
250cc

Post by Clogan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Hey, Doc:
Did your Admore light bar cause any conflicts with the CANBUS system? I had a similr ligjt bar on a prior bike, and liked it. Will maybe add one to this bike...worried about splicing and CANBUS, tho.

BTW, I see you are in Sumter...my ancestors came from Ninety-Six; just up the road a piece. The old home place is still there: the Logan Log House... National Park Service folks take care of it now.

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc

Post by GaryCulb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:20 pm

The Admore Mini Rear Brake Light & turn signal ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/adm ... -light-bar ) is connected to a PDM-60. That is outside the bikes Can-Bus. I guess you could connect the power to one of the two accessory lines that are under the rear seat?? Best,

Doc :) :)

Clogan
250cc
250cc

Post by Clogan » Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:15 pm

GaryCulb wrote:The Admore Mini Rear Brake Light & turn signal ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/adm ... -light-bar ) is connected to a PDM-60. That is outside the bikes Can-Bus. I guess you could connect the power to one of the two accessory lines that are under the rear seat?? Best,

Best I recall from my last install, my Admore had 5 connections: tail/running light, brake light, left and right turn signals, and ground. I can't immediately think how it would need/use power from a PDM, or any remote power source...but maybe mine was different.

Or maybe (probably) I don't understand how a PDM works...well, that much is true, for sureImage

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc

Post by GaryCulb » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:17 pm

mcracr,
Felt bad telling you to buy something & it did not fit. So, took off my license plate to see exactly how I attached the stuff in that area. Yep, two screws at the top of the billet license plate bracket, two screws to the Admore Mini & then put on the license plate.

Clogan,
Here is link to the PDM 60 ( https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/row ... ion-module ). Moves almost all electrical connections to a waterproof programable external fuse box. Kept my Denali Horn & PowerLet heated gear plug connected directly to the battery. They can draw as much as 30 amps. Best,

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:33 am

Not your fault, Doc. Mea culpa - I had it upside down!!! I'm a jackass...
KTM SD GT Plate Mounting Correct.jpg
So it will attach at the top two bolts, not at the bottom. However, the beveled bolts/ locknuts included to mount the plate adapter to the fender are not correct. Does anyone know the size/ thread for the brass holes on the fender? Once I have those from Home Depot, I'll be all set to go! With a little Loctite, of course.

mcracr
125cc
125cc

Post by mcracr » Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:36 am

Mission accomplished!

Called my KTM dealer, found the bolt spec is M5x12 to mount the plate adapter onto the fender. Picked up some bolts at local hardware store, ran home and got the plate mounted in 5 mins!
KTM SD GT Adapter Plate Attached.jpg
KTM SD GT FL Plate.jpg
Problem solved.

Tips for future buyers - mount the plate adapter right side up and use M5x12 bolts to attach it to the fender.