GPS Bracket

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter
City: Chevy Chase, MD
Year: 2016

GPS Bracket

Post by Twisty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:29 am

I used to use a handlebar mounted RAM mount for a Garmin Nuvi GPS. I purchased the KTM GPS and am having trouble figuring out how to use a RAM ball mount to attach it to the KTM mount.
How have you mounted your nav to the KTM mount? Which nav do you have? Is there a way to attach a RAM ball mount to the KTM mount?
Thanks.
Peter

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter

Re: GPS Bracket

Post by Twisty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:29 am

And how do you attach the KTM nav mount to the bike? It’s not at all obvious to me.

DaveNZ
900cc
900cc
City: New plymouth

Post by DaveNZ » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:31 am

Ive just ordered one (KTM mount for nav) there is a mounting point central above the dash, I'm hoping to fit my radar detector onto my nav mount.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

MR C
675cc
675cc
City: Derbyshire

Post by MR C » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:07 pm

I have a great little mod if you don't want to spend ££

If your using a ram ball mount this will work perfect, where the OE sat nav bolts into the square tube behind the clocks remove the bolt and the top cap, now instead of using the OE sat nav get a ram mount as below and cut it down so the bolt passes through the top hole, it fits in the square hole perfect.

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Twisty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:17 pm

Thanks guys. Unfortunately I have already laid out the $$ for the KTM mount. That looks like a really good inexpensive solution Mr. C. Can anyone possibly put up a picture of exactly how the mount is attached behind the instrument panel? There’s no instructions with the bracket and it isn’t at all obvious how to do it. Also, is there a way to hard wire a nav to a switched source by the instrument panel?

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter
City: Austin
Year: 2010

Post by AllanP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 pm

These are pretty crappy pics, but perhaps they'll help. The mount is very tidy and well designed and it all fits together without modification. The whole job of mounting it however, will be made much easier if you remove your screen before you start.

The top Torx screw in the first picture is used to adjust the angle of the GPS screen. This has internal rubber vibration damping bushes and is a bit of a fiddle to adjust, but no big deal.

I used the cigarette lighter plug on the left side of the instrument cluster for my power supply but will hard-wire it when I get round to it. The plug vibrates out of its socket after a couple of days riding which is not the end of the world, but a bit dangerous to re-insert without stopping. The only other SD-GT rider I've met in person who uses this socket also has the same problem and neither of us have been able to come up with a way of securely fixing the plug into the socket.

There are spare wires inside the instrument console however, which may be suitable to use for the power supply and I'll post something if I ever get around to figuring out which one is which and if we can use them.

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Twisty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Thanks Allan! Makes perfect sense and the photos were very helpful.

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Twisty » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Which gps is that Allan?

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm

Its a Garmin Zumo 395LM.

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter
City: Northumberland
Model: SMT

Post by Eddie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:25 am

AllanP wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:12 pm
There are spare wires inside the instrument console however, which may be suitable to use for the power supply and I'll post something if I ever get around to figuring out which one is which and if we can use them.
IIRC from when I did mine, there are two pairs behind the speedo: one switched, one un-switched. They're labelled, but I can't remember which is which. Thirty seconds with a multimeter should tell you all you need to know.

MR C
675cc
675cc

GPS Bracket

Post by MR C » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 am

AllanP wrote:
The top Torx screw in the first picture is used to adjust the angle of the GPS screen. This has internal rubber vibration damping bushes and is a bit of a fiddle to adjust, but no big deal.
]
Confused ? You don't need to adjust any torx !! To adjust the angle just grab the sat nav and slide it slightly (can't recall if it's left or right) as you do so you can rotate the angle.

The torx hold the spring mechanism that allows you to slide the unit and rotate.

Clogan
500cc
500cc
City: Harrison
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Post by Clogan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:48 am

"The plug vibrates out of its socket after a couple of days riding which is not the end of the world, but a bit dangerous to re-insert without stopping. "

A regular automobile-type charger plug will certainly vibrate out, but s USB plug inserted into the cig outlet has not vibrated out in 2 months an 2600 miles. Available for <$10 at most convenience stores.

Twisty
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Twisty » Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:42 am

Thanks guys!
Eddie--so you unscrew the instrument panel and fish around to find two wire harnesses--one switched, one unswitched? I think I remember reading there are switched and unswitched power sources under the seat too, no?
I can't understand why information like that isn't clearly described and illustrated in the owners manual. :roll:

MR C
675cc
675cc

GPS Bracket

Post by MR C » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:06 am

@twisty just remove the torx from the dash clocks and the accessory wires are there, no need to fish around, 12v switched and permanent are on spade connectors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter
City: Northumberland
Model: SMT

Post by Eddie » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:33 pm

MR C wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:23 am
AllanP wrote:
]
Confused ? You don't need to adjust any torx !! To adjust the angle just grab the sat nav and slide it slightly (can't recall if it's left or right) as you do so you can rotate the angle.

The torx hold the spring mechanism that allows you to slide the unit and rotate.
To be fair, I made that same mistake, until I took the mount apart before fitting it and realised how it worked.

Clogan
500cc
500cc

Post by Clogan » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:06 pm

MR C wrote:I have a great little mod if you don't want to spend ££

If your using a ram ball mount this will work perfect, where the OE sat nav bolts into the square tube behind the clocks remove the bolt and the top cap, now instead of using the OE sat nav get a ram mount as below and cut it down so the bolt passes through the top hole, it fits in the square hole perfect.

Could a person use the bottom hole in the ram mount, so as to avoid cutting? Or would clearance be a problem?

Edit to add:
I believe I may have one of those ram balls somewhere in my parts box. If I can dig it out, I'll try it i the bottom hole to see.

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:47 pm

Yes you can use the bottle hole, the picture shows where it fits and the bolt .

Clogan
500cc
500cc

Post by Clogan » Tue Dec 12, 2017 2:32 am

MR C wrote:Yes you can use the bottle hole, the picture shows where it fits and the bolt .
Yup...had to cut 3/8" off the bottom of the RAM mount, then it fit into the bracket using the bottom hole on the mount. Secured it with all-black 1.5" bolt, nut and washers from ACE hardware. I already had the RAM mount in my parts bin, so total cost was $1.15.

Plus, my 12" USB charger cable is the perfect length.

Thanks for the tip!!

AllanP
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AllanP » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:00 am

MR C wrote:
AllanP wrote:
]

I just tried moving my GPS without touching the torx screw and you are absolutely right! Move it left to adjust the angle, but now you've given me something else to fiddle about with :D

MR C
675cc
675cc

Post by MR C » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:40 am

AllanP wrote:
MR C wrote:
AllanP wrote:
]

I just tried moving my GPS without touching the torx screw and you are absolutely right! Move it left to adjust the angle, but now you've given me something else to fiddle about with :D
Don't worry, i confess to firstly not knowing, until I took it to complete bits as I to thought the same Image