Need meat in the middle for a longer lasting tire!

Clogan
250cc
250cc
City: Harrison
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

Need meat in the middle for a longer lasting tire!

Post by Clogan » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:09 pm

KTM recommends Angel GT, spec D for the SDGT. Mine rear tire needs replacing after only 4000 miles. It has a 3/4" strip, right down the middle, worn down to threads. There's plenty of tread left all over the tire, but the area right in the middle, where there was no tread or grooves to start with, is worn out. Im guessing the tire carcass must have been less than 1/8" - 1/16" thick in that area to start with. I'll measure it when my new one gets here. Guess I spend too much time going straight, and not enough time leaned over!

Anyhow, its sad to see an otherwise good tire have to be replaced due to that 3/4" strip.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a design characteristic of many sport touring rear tires: the tire carcass is thinnest, with the least tread, right down the middle. No meat in the middle. I'm guessing that if the carcass was as thick in the middle as it is along the sides, we would easily double the highway miles life of the tire.

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc
City: Perth

Re: Need meat in the middle for a longer lasting tire!

Post by MarkLH69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:21 am

Clogan wrote:KTM recommends Angel GT, spec D for the SDGT. Mine rear tire needs replacing after only 4000 miles. It has a 3/4" strip, right down the middle, worn down to threads. There's plenty of tread left all over the tire, but the area right in the middle, where there was no tread or grooves to start with, is worn out. Im guessing the tire carcass must have been less than 1/8" - 1/16" thick in that area to start with. I'll measure it when my new one gets here. Guess I spend too much time going straight, and not enough time leaned over!

Anyhow, its sad to see an otherwise good tire have to be replaced due to that 3/4" strip.

Unfortunately, it appears to be a design characteristic of many sport touring rear tires: the tire carcass is thinnest, with the least tread, right down the middle. No meat in the middle. I'm guessing that if the carcass was as thick in the middle as it is along the sides, we would easily double the highway miles life of the tire.
Mine still fine around 6,000 miles, worn of course but still got some life in them. That's after a hot summer, some and using the power on some coarse country roads too. Weird.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc

Post by MarkLH69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:22 am

PicsImageImage

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc

Post by MarkLH69 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:25 am

I will be trying Michelin Pilot Road 5 next though, as generally prefer them especially for Winter.

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
City: Sumter

Post by GaryCulb » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:40 am

Moved to the Angle GT A Spec. Same performance but, a more durable tire tread for the heavy Sports Touring bike. Best,

Doc

MarkLH69
125cc
125cc

Post by MarkLH69 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:46 am

GaryCulb wrote:Moved to the Angle GT A Spec. Same performance but, a more durable tire tread for the heavy Sports Touring bike. Best,

Doc
That's good to hear about the A spec, since I expect that's all most shops would carry anyway.

GT are not really that heavy .. my mates z800 Kawasaki weighs more !

Though I guess if you tour with a pillow and luggage most the time it would load up the rear tyre.

Mine is mostly commuting with light luggage, so I think the Michelin tyres will be fine for me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
City: Houston
Colour: Silver

Post by jjscsix » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

The A Spec is a heavier tire and has a stiffer sidewall. Just know that going in. Gary runs it because that’s what the BMW 1600 uses. Gary probably has his own “group buy” on them ;)

I personally would not run it on a bike that doesn’t need it. But then i cannot imagine the middle of a regular Angel GT wearing out at 2,000 miles.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale