MRA X-creen Sport

Flingit
125cc
125cc
City: Hillcrest
Year: 2017

MRA X-creen Sport

Postby Flingit » Tue May 30, 2017 11:27 am

Coming off the 1190 Adv, I am finding the buffeting quite bad on the GT. At a height of 182cm's, I guess that is part of the problem. After much searching,I decided to try the X-creen Sport, as it had rave reviews. Many of the screens that I considered, were as big as a barn door, and to be honest, looked hideous. The X-creen only just fits on top of the standard screen, but really doesn't detract from it's looks.
As soon as I get a chance to ride, I'll give a report back.

Bruce Wayne
125cc
125cc
City: Sydney
Colour: Silver

Re: MRA X-creen Sport

Postby Bruce Wayne » Tue Jul 11, 2017 3:06 am

How did you go with the screen spoiler? I know the GT's wind noise isn't bad but noise really bugs me so I'd be interested in this if it made it quieter. BTW yes, I do wear earplugs. :)

Newbusa
125cc
125cc
City: Qualicum100
Year: 2010

Postby Newbusa » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 am

I sold my 1190 because of the nasty buffeting wind noise. Tried everything to change it.
Tested a 1290 GT and found it way better noise wise. No buffeting, so bought it.
Still has the stock screen, I get wind but it's clean.

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc
City: Brisbane

Postby Aussie Dave » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:56 pm

Cheers all, I like my screen but as I'm a lot shorter (173cm or 5' 9.5" ) I don't get much noise (I also always wear earplugs and have done for 40+ years so I can hear everything you lot are saying.... :lol: ).

However.......I saw a photo on here of a GT with a Puig touring screen and it looked good. It is 135mm taller than the OEM GT screen - there was only one review saying it had increased noise (probably because it put more airflow onto he shoulder/neck area depending on rider height and all those factors which vary for all of us).

But I haven't seen anything else for a GT - I am pleased with the oem screen as it drops down low for summer and leaves my head and shoulders in clean airflow, and yet on any raised setting it provides just enough protection with minimal noise. (even my mate with his 2017 R1200RT complains of buffeting.. :roll: ).

I have an X-creen sport lying around in my parts cupboard, but thought it wouldn't fit......I'll have to have a good look now I know it can fit on a GT....... I want a tinted/smoked look, so maybe in time some more screens will come on market....the Puig is extra thick because of the material used (3mm I think) so I'm uncertain if that means it might be slightly heavy for the super lightweight GT screen mounting system.

Any thoughts or long term experiences....... :?:

Oops......just spotted the Puig thread down the page..... :oops:

Flingit
125cc
125cc
City: Hillcrest

Postby Flingit » Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:56 am

I tried the X-creen and it certainly was better, but I thought I could improve it even more, so I fitted a Puig Touring screen. Only ridden it today for the 1st time for about 10minutes, so I need a bit more time to make an accurate call, but it certainly seems great. A quick squirt up to 235kmh and it seemed good. I may even experiment with putting the X-creen on it and see.

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc

Postby Aussie Dave » Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:11 am

Hi all, been busy.... ;) ...... installing my X-creen sport that I had sitting on a shelf........

MRA X-creen on KTM 1290GT 30Jul017.jpg
MRA X-creen on KTM 1290GT 30Jul017.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 224 times

As Mr Flingit wrote.....it is better.......and it works so well I now use the mid-height setting to have the airflow the same as for oem at full height.

Full height makes the airstream hit my full face helmet instead of upper chest......so it's horses for courses depending on your tallness/shortness, etc etc etc......but the X-creen does change the airstream.

In Aus, the importer only brings in the top spec Puig screen (ie; c/w the wing spoiler) for $370Aus, and I suspect this would suit really tall bodies. There is a good comparison pic between the Puig and OEM screens on the website.....thought I could post it here but I can't..... :(

Soooo, seeing as the tall Puig is expensive, and 8 weeks away, and might not suit my stature (5' 9.5"), I'm thinking the tinted oem KTM screen might be the go for me........dang-it the base Puig is a good look'n thing ;) but that's life in the big city...... :roll:

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc

Postby Aussie Dave » Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:28 am

Just stumbled onto a mob in France called sdmoto-parts.com (I think I've written that down wrong as it doesn't come up as a link...... :roll: )......but they ship anywhere and put stuff in 'oversize packaging' to protect from rough handling...... now I'm enthused again.....lets see, Puig tinted screen, oh what about a rear seat rack, hey there's the Givi side case rack heaps cheaper than local importer's prices......and more ;)

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc

Postby Aussie Dave » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 am

Yep, sdmoto-parts.com are happy to ship to the dark side of the planet (errr, Australia.... ;) ) and they even said they'd make sure it was packaged properly to survive the journey 8-) . They quote prices in Euro ($109Eu) and UK but also show USD on the checkout.......so I'll have to have a think while I enjoy my OEM KTM screen with MRA X-creen sport aerofoil attached......it works by tidying up the airflow from the top of the standard screen and the effect is similar to a taller screen......but that is for little me (5' 9.5")......still, the tinted look is tempting, and I could drill/clamp mount the X-creen onto the Puig if needed..... ;).......inner accountant standing firm and holding purse strings tight.....but I'm working on it...... :lol:

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc

Postby Aussie Dave » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 am

G'day GT tragic's... ;)

Absolutely beautiful weather here for all but I (working)......however, I finally overcame the inner accountant and have let some moths out of my wallet.... :lol:

I expect to see a Puig light smoke touring screen arrive in 5-10 days ex the super nice crew at sdmoto-parts in France.. 8-)

It was a little difficult to decide between dark/light tint, but in the end I decided to go with the same tint as the X-creen that I already have......so $214Aus including airfreight... :D ......and no more looking at SDGT images for silly ideas to spend more money on.... :lol:..... ;)...yeah sure.....I promise.....right..... ;)

Aussie Dave
675cc
675cc

Postby Aussie Dave » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:53 am

X-creen Sport aerofoil installed to tinted Puig Touring screen.......

X-creen to Puig 19 Ag 017.jpg
X-creen to Puig 19 Ag 017.jpg (62.93 KiB) Viewed 21 times

I've used the MRA clamps to test before drilling any holes and mounting permanently - the winglet worked really well with the OEM KTM screen.....but is a pricey little bugger at $160Aus when I bought it 2.5yrs ago to try to fix my Caponord1200's horrible standard screen....... :( (I was probably ripped off by local agents ;) ).

The Puig is quite good standard (ie no winglet)....no noisier than oem KTM for me (I always use ear plugs), and as stated on their website, it puts more airflow onto your helmet instead of chest.....so it works as stated and at 5' almost 10" (if I have my sheep skin on the seat :lol: ) I'm happy with it in lowest position = gives me screen height options for when it is raining and fuggin cold ......

I'm yet to test the X-creen for slipstream effect on the Pug, but I expect it to direct the flow higher as it did with the oem KTM screen...... :)

I think it is more cost effective to buy the Puig c/w their winglet if like me you are after a tinted screen, but if you already have a tinted KTM screen, then the X-creen can improve the air stream (if you can source one at a good price...)...almost as well as a taller screen......

Cheeers from Aus

Return to “Accessories”