vet57air
675cc
675cc
City: Port Alberni
Year: 2019
Colour: White

Mods without map

Post by vet57air » Fri May 22, 2020 4:47 pm

I had a 2014 1290 SDR that I had installed a decat pipe with Austin racing can and Rotty intake. I ran the Acro map. My next bike was a 2016 1290GT which I had a decat pipe and Motohooligan intake but ran a Dynojet with my own developed map. I now have a 2019 1290GT. I had taken off the link pipe and intake off my 2016 GT and am torn on either to install on the 19 or leave it alone. I don't want to install the dynojet.
I would like feedback on anyone that has run a decat and intake with the stock map? Did it cause an lean code or were the O2 sensors able to compensate?

Winger
125cc
125cc
City: Birmingham
Year: 2017

Re: Mods without map

Post by Winger » Sun May 24, 2020 8:07 am

i’ll Digress... in 2011 I had a similar situation with a K1200 which I still have,the situation then was piggyback aftermarket fuelling was finished and it was all about remapping the ECU I went Rexxer,manufacturers upped their game and stopped such antics and piggyback has made a comeback.

Fast forward to my GT a 17 model bought in 19,first thing I did was fits a Wings end can and take the 02’s off and fit dongles to stop any error lights,and I ran the bike like that for 9 months have now fitted a Bodis decat and the bike is still running really well.

I have times when when I go into tight mode!!! :D and i’m Waiting for a secondhand PC5 too turn up for sale we’ll thats my excuse,I have friends who visit the States on a regular basis(did...) and they brought me back a MotoHooligan filter and inlets so that’s my next move.

In all honesty from my experience with 3 other bikes that run PC’s it’s the only way,I see Rapid bike do an alternative but I fail too see how that works with the 02’s disappearing up their own ass they are a pollution thing to save the world not performance.

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Post by DaveNZ » Sun May 24, 2020 8:47 pm

I have link pipe and Remus muffler, and dongle to remove exhaust valve. I did the O2 sensor removal plugs and dongles, bike ran ok, smooth down low, no popping etc. but i always felt it ran rich down low. Fuel consumption was a lot higher. I refitted the O2 sensors, and went down the path of a booster plug. Bottom end isn't as smooth as before, but theres a little more torque through 4-6000 revs, and the pipe burns a better colour rather than sooty black. Ive just refitted the CAT on my 790, i tried running the bike with a link pipe and all sorted baffles in the shorty muffler, i thought it ran ok, but after refitting the CAT, the bottom end torque returned, and 10kph top end speed at Saturdays track day. I think the trick is to not have a big open exit hole from the exhaust pipe. my Remus measures 32mm from memory. i also think longer mufflers work best. Modern KTM engines are designed to run lean or tight on their fueling, its how they get their twins through E5.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2018 790 IXIL pipe track day weapon. 1954 BSA 60th birthday present from the wife.

phatdoughnut
125cc
125cc
City: Oregon

Post by phatdoughnut » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:53 pm

I am also in this same conundrum. I was about to post. I ordered the belly exit and decat exhuast from austin racing. Their ATOM tuning box is nearly as much as the exhaust, the other option is to get a PC V and get it tuned. More then the ATOM. Or just have the dealer activate my heated seat and download the akra map for 100 bucks labor charge. Im just running the decat exhaust with no air mods for now. Think I will be safe? I think so.

vet57air
675cc
675cc
City: Port Alberni
Colour: White

Post by vet57air » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am

phatdoughnut wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:53 pm
I am also in this same conundrum. I was about to post. I ordered the belly exit and decat exhuast from austin racing. Their ATOM tuning box is nearly as much as the exhaust, the other option is to get a PC V and get it tuned. More then the ATOM. Or just have the dealer activate my heated seat and download the akra map for 100 bucks labor charge. Im just running the decat exhaust with no air mods for now. Think I will be safe? I think so.

I have had Austin's stuff before, nice. Will the Atom work on a GT?

phatdoughnut
125cc
125cc
City: Oregon

Post by phatdoughnut » Wed Jul 22, 2020 6:49 pm

vet57air wrote:
Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:21 am
phatdoughnut wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:53 pm

I have had Austin's stuff before, nice. Will the Atom work on a GT?
Its what austin recommends. My exhaust shipped today. Lets see if it makes it from the UK to Oregon in 2 days like the tracking shows. :lol: