First Ride

Post Reply
User avatar
jfink
500cc
500cc
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Country: United States
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

First Ride

Post by jfink » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:18 pm

So, took the new to me, SDGT out today and had a couple questions.

First, it has a whine when not running after I turn the key on. When the fuel pump pressures up and stops, I can hear that. But this high pitched whine continues and never stops unless the bike is started (probably because I can no longer hear it) or turned off. The bike is subject to the fuel pump recall and I have a fuel pump on order at the local KTM dealer. I am hoping this whine is related, but does anyone know?

Second, is the Range information. When full, it tells me the range is 160 miles. I have read a number of posts pertaining to problems with the range information, but they all seem to be the opposite problem; 300+ miles when full, may be attributable to displaying KM's instead of miles. Is 160 miles range about right? It seems low, 300 km to miles is about 190 to 200. Also, when the light came on, I rode at least another 20 miles and when I filled up, I was only able to cram 4.6 gallons into the tank. The books says the tank capacity is 6.1 gallons. That means there was still a gallon and a half in the tank, when I filled up. Do I have a problem with the fuel gauge, range measurement, other?

Thanks,
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

User avatar
Karnage
125cc
125cc
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Re: First Ride

Post by Karnage » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm

The noise you are hearing is completely normal. It is a by product of the electronics/fly by wire nothing to be concerned about. It's not exactly best practice to leave a bike with the ignition on for long periods of time any way so it shoudn't be of concern.

The Fuel range is calculated on a number of factors including current throttle position/ instant fuel economy / rpm / speed / average fual economy etc. If you ride the bike really aggressivly and then refuel, the the range reflects this.
If you refuel and the start the bike then reset the trip meters you'll see the projected range, if you sit there idling for a few minutes this figure starts to drop. The bike coniders fuel is being used and no distance is being covered, if that trend continues you'll get exactly zero km from that tank of fuel. As you begin to ride the bike will continue to recalculate this figure.

I find the range to be fairly accurate, although i've not run the tank dry to confirm. I figure after 2-300km i could do with a leg stretch any way so why not just fuel up. Each to their own I guess.
Last edited by Karnage on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: First Ride

Post by jjscsix » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm

Joe, I had read the same things you did on the forum. But I hope that is not what you are going to pass as a ride report. I want more info!

BTW, I called my dealer today. He does not have a specific delivery estimate, but still is thinking sometime this coming week.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

User avatar
jfink
500cc
500cc
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Country: United States
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Re: First Ride

Post by jfink » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 pm

Karnage wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:41 pm
The noise you are hearing is completely normal. It is a by product of the electronics/fly by wire nothing to be concerned about. It's not exactly best practice to leave a bike with the ignition on for long periods of time any way so it shoudn't be of concern.

The Fuel range is calculated on a number of factors including current throttle position/ instant fuel economy / rpm / speed / average fual economy etc. If you ride the bike really aggressivly and then refuel, the the range reflects this.
If you refuel and the start the bike then reset the trip meters you'll see the projected range, if you sit there idling for a few minutes this figure starts to drop. The bike coniders fuel is being used and no distance is being covered, if that trend continues you'll get exactly zero km from that tank of fuel. As you begin to ride the bike will continue to recalculate this figure.

I find the range to be fairly accurate, although i've not run the tank dry to confirm. I figure after 2-300km i could do with a leg stretch any way so why not just fuel up. Each to their own I guess.
Thanks for the reply.

As far as the noise, and I say this with all due respect ... I disagree. The noise is very loud, I can hear it all the way across the yard. I have 4 other bikes in the garage, two of them are KTM's. None of them make this noise and they all are FI whose pumps come on with the ignition. Some have more electronics than the SD, like the BMW. I do have a friend with a 2017 SDGT and I am certain to be riding with him soon, so I will compare. In the mean time, if the fuel pump comes in to my dealer, may be this will be a moot question. I will post up my findings.

I am not worried about the range calculation, I can adjust my thinking. The BMW is the only other bike that has 'fuel range' information, and it is spot on. But on all my other bikes, when I get a low fuel light, I usually have about a gallon left, may be something even less, but about enough to ride another 30 or 40 miles. When I got the low fuel light on the SD and my fuel gauge was flashing on the last bar, I rode another 20 miles and apparently still had another gallon and a half left in the tank. So, I would deduce that I had about 2 gallons when the low fuel light came on. On a 6 gallon tank, that seems pretty extreme and not really informative. Just sayin'... Is two gallons where everyone else's low fuel indicator light comes on??? If not, I may have a problem with my fuel gauge.

I wonder out loud if maybe these two things are related?
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

User avatar
jfink
500cc
500cc
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Country: United States
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Re: First Ride

Post by jfink » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:29 pm

jjscsix wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:49 pm
Joe, I had read the same things you did on the forum. But I hope that is not what you are going to pass as a ride report. I want more info!

BTW, I called my dealer today. He does not have a specific delivery estimate, but still is thinking sometime this coming week.
Good luck on that delivery. I hear there are a lot of folks snapping these up since the speculation is there will be none in the US for 2018.

Ok, so ... I rode a little road, I ride all the time, not to far from my place. It's through the forest, but not FM149 that everyone is familiar with (by the way FM149 has been repaved and is as smooth as glass). Anyway, it is twisty and fun, but rather choppy with pot holes. I ride it with all the bikes (except the 500) with varying degrees of concern about bumps and pot holes. I started with the same mentality, avoid those chuck holes. By the end of the road, I didn't care. This thing just ate them up, with hardly a notice.

Beyond that, I took it 'easy'. Many of the roads were still wet but very free of traffic, but there was still some threat of rain. When the roads were dry, I bumped up the speed some. Not really realizing it I took a few recommended 45's at 'much higher' speeds and didn't even notice, until I looked down. Had I been pushing it, double the recommended would have been very comfortable. I can't say that about most the other bikes.

On the occasions where I did get behind traffic and needed to pass ... OMG! Drop it down a gear, hit the throttle and hold on! Starting at 55, it was easily three digits by the time I was around. Some may argue that these speeds are unsafe, I was taught and do believe the less time you spend in the 'alternate' lane, the better! I was generally 5 to 7 mph over, but there were some construction and lawn crews about going under the posted speed.

I did notice what has been pointed out here in other posts. Sixth gear seems to be pretty 'tall'. Even at 65 or 70, shifting into sixth seemed to lug the engine slightly. I am certain that out in West Texas, those long straight aways would be perfect for this tall gear, but locally, I can't see spending much time in sixth. I will keep an eye out on changing sprockets and gear ratios. I did that on my 990, went down a tooth on the front sprocket, but it runs out the top much earlier and I think I will go back to stock.

Then for me, the biggest surprise! Since I have KTM's, I have first hand knowledge of the KTM strategy for seat design. Paint a 2x4 black and slap it on the bike. I have a Renazco on my 990 now and a Seat Concepts on my 500. I am not saying that the seat on the SDGT is perfect, but after about 120 or 130 mile ride, I was still comfortable. On a stock seat from KTM!!! Now, depending on more experience, I may still get an aftermarket seat, but it isn't on the top of my list right now.

I bought the BMW K1600 early in 2017. It took me a while to bond with that bike. I do enjoy it now, after about 10,000 miles. I am sure there are more 'adjustments' to come for the SDGT, but right now, I am very happy and bonded with this bike!
Last edited by jfink on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

jjscsix
500cc
500cc
Posts: 146
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:41 pm
Country: USA
City: Houston
Year: 2017
Colour: Silver

Re: First Ride

Post by jjscsix » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:47 pm

Thanks Joe for your thoughts in addition to the E-Mails we have traded. I'm really excited about the bike. In a way I feel like I'm joining a more exclusive club of riders who are a tad further out on the "enthusiast" scale than even the BMWs and Ducati I own now. It's like a lot of folks are drawn to them as much for the name as the function, especially the Ducati. I had an odd problem with the Panigale a few months ago. I was asking my friend who owned the dealer for many years and rides Ducati's himself what he thought caused it. His response was "Jim, we really don't see that many Panigales with 17,000 miles on them".

Can't wait to get the SD/GT. Hopefully this week.
2017 KTM Superduke GT, BMW 1600 GT, Ducati 1199 Panigale

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Sumter
Year: 2017
Location: Sumter, SC
Contact:

Re: First Ride??

Post by GaryCulb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 am

jfink,

You are not experiencing anything new with the unusual noises that occur when you turn on the ignition before cranking up the bike. It occurs on my SDGT. I was told the noises one hears at start up on the 2107 KTM SDGT are the fuel pump & engine air pressure/ sensor??

The 6th gear on the 2107 KTM SDGT most consider designed for the Autobahn or Track. Many have changed out the rear sprocket for a 40T/ 525 pitch. You can get a Steel sprocket from Supersprox here ( https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1124100 0. Gearing ratio is closer & 6th gear becomes usable ( https://www.bikebandit.com/blog/post/ho ... -sprockets ). Very easy install. Highly Recommend!!

Aftermarket seats for the KTM SDGT are somewhat limited but, include Corbin ( https://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1124100 ), custom Sargent ( http://www.sargentcycle.com/Seats-Acces ... Seats-KTM/ ) & KTM Ergo set. Personally, like you I thought the OEM seats were OK. To make them even more long distance/ sports touring friendly I had the foam replaced with multilayer Memory Foam by Dianna’s ( http://diannasshop.com/services/ ): OEM-$95/ Ergo-$180. Both included shipping. Much more comfortable on a long trip. Highly Recommend!!

Enjoy your new ride.


Best,

Doc :D :D

User avatar
jfink
500cc
500cc
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Country: United States
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Re: First Ride??

Post by jfink » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 am

GaryCulb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 am
jfink,

You are not experiencing anything new with the unusual noises that occur when you turn on the ignition before cranking up the bike. It occurs on my SDGT. I was told the noises one hears at start up on the 2107 KTM SDGT are the fuel pump & engine air pressure/ sensor??
Thanks Gary, I guess I am not being clear about the noise. First is the normal startup sound of the pump, electronics and normal switching. As I mentioned all of my bikes have electronic Fuel Injection. All make the same sound, including the SDGT. But the noise on the SDGT continues, when all the others stop. It sounds like pressure being relieved.

Just to be clear(er), I posted a video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/yY6eZF9v8vI When I turned my volume on, I could clearly hear the sound I am speaking about. Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

DaveNZ
990cc
990cc
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:20 pm
Country: New Zealand
City: New plymouth
Year: 2016

Re: First Ride??

Post by DaveNZ » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:21 am

jfink wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 am
GaryCulb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:06 am
jfink,

You are not experiencing anything new with the unusual noises that occur when you turn on the ignition before cranking up the bike. It occurs on my SDGT. I was told the noises one hears at start up on the 2107 KTM SDGT are the fuel pump & engine air pressure/ sensor??
Thanks Gary, I guess I am not being clear about the noise. First is the normal startup sound of the pump, electronics and normal switching. As I mentioned all of my bikes have electronic Fuel Injection. All make the same sound, including the SDGT. But the noise on the SDGT continues, when all the others stop. It sounds like pressure being relieved.

Just to be clear(er), I posted a video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/yY6eZF9v8vI When I turned my volume on, I could clearly hear the sound I am speaking about. Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks.
For E4 the GT has little pumps that take the fumes from the tank and pump them to the carbon filter under the passenger seat, you could be hearing this continuing to run. Ive removed all my E4 stuff by fitting Rottweiler stage 2 kit. Have a listen to see if the noise is under the tank.
2016 1290GT-remus link and muffler, 2010 Black 1200 Multistrada full Termi system with mapping, 2005 SMR 640, full Titanium system, Mikuni flatside racing carb, 2 sets of wheels, 18 litre tank, and a nice soft seat.

User avatar
Karnage
125cc
125cc
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:35 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017
Colour: Black

Re: First Ride??

Post by Karnage » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:53 am

jfink wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:00 am


Just to be clear(er), I posted a video on Youtube: https://youtu.be/yY6eZF9v8vI When I turned my volume on, I could clearly hear the sound I am speaking about. Hopefully this is helpful. Thanks.
This sound is normal for these bikes.

GaryCulb
500cc
500cc
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:19 am
Country: USA
City: Sumter
Year: 2017
Location: Sumter, SC
Contact:

Sounds at start up??

Post by GaryCulb » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Yep, my 2017 KTM SDGT makes a very similar sound ( https://youtu.be/Xf9sfiMbNK4 ). May be a bit different as we removed the carbon filter & put in the PowerCell Performance SAS conversion. Best,

Doc :? :?

User avatar
jfink
500cc
500cc
Posts: 82
Joined: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:19 pm
Country: United States
City: Conroe
Year: 2017

Re: Sounds at start up??

Post by jfink » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:13 pm

GaryCulb wrote:
Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:25 pm
Yep, my 2017 KTM SDGT makes a very similar sound ( https://youtu.be/Xf9sfiMbNK4 ). May be a bit different as we removed the carbon filter & put in the PowerCell Performance SAS conversion. Best,

Doc :? :?
Well, ok then! I guess it is 'normal' although a bit disconcerting. Thanks for the post Gary.
Joe

2017 SDGT, 2014 BMW GTLE, 2014 KTM 500Exc, 2011 KTM 990 Adventure Dakar, 2004 Honda Goldwing

Aussie Dave
990cc
990cc
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:30 am
Country: Australia
City: Brisbane
Year: 2017

Re: First Ride

Post by Aussie Dave » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:27 am

F..k....... lost the post......can't find the draft........bugger :x

Oh well......short story...... just checked my GT - it does the whizz-whirr-whizz-click exhaust servo thing, then fuel pump whirr, followed by a gentle sort of a sucking/humm.......all nice hi-tech normal FI noises not nasty loud screeching or other noises - prob need the dealer to do the fuel pump recall.. ;)

Also yu should be getting over 200miles into flashing reserve - I get 400kms (250m) on 21Ltrs touring and 380km (235m) with mixed riding (sport/urban/tour).

The DTE function is affected by fuel slosh in corners - have seen mine change from say 30km baxk to 50, then in time it drops to 10..........next servo.......quick........ :o
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)

Post Reply