Clogan
250cc
250cc
City: Harrison
Year: 2017
Colour: Black & Orange

No start?

Post by Clogan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 pm

My 2016 SDGT wouldn't start today. 2800 miles, no problems before. Been colder than normal here, but bike is parked inside garage, where it's never cooler than 50°F. Engine turns over, coughs once, then dies. Attempts to restart have same result: crank, cough, die. Crank, cough, die. No hints on display. Bike ran fine last week. I suspect it's temperature related, since that's the only variable I can think of.

My trusty KLR fired right up, so I rode it today instead. Brrr: 26°F outside. Was 7° today at dawn. Come on, spring!

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mesa
Colour: Silver

Re: No start?

Post by RDKLL » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:24 pm

Clogan wrote:My 2016 SDGT wouldn't start today. 2800 miles, no problems before. Been colder than normal here, but bike is parked inside garage, where it's never cooler than 50°F. Engine turns over, coughs once, then dies. Attempts to restart have same result: crank, cough, die. Crank, cough, die. No hints on display. Bike ran fine last week. I suspect it's temperature related, since that's the only variable I can think of.

My trusty KLR fired right up, so I rode it today instead. Brrr: 26°F outside. Was 7° today at dawn. Come on, spring!
I don't want to sound like a smart ass but have you made sure it has gas?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Clogan
250cc
250cc

Post by Clogan » Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Has plenty of gas; filled up at favorite BP station last week on the way home. Good question, tho'.
Called the dealer this afternoon. He said try charging the battery. Even though battery is strong enough to turn the engine over, and get it to cough, it may not be turning fast enough to start and run. Sounded like a reasonable suggestion; I'll try it tomorrow.

With the electronic demands of today's vehicles, strange things happen if the battery is even a little off. The A/C quit working on my F-150. Turned out my battery was too weak to run the HVAC microprocessor, even though it was strong enough to start the truck. A new battery "fixed" my A/C. Strange indeed. Windows wouldn't roll all way upon my 'Vette. Turns out battery was weak, and even tho it started the car, the window motors stopped before full close. Charged the battery, and my window motors worked fine. Strange, but true.

Here's hoping a little extra charge to the battery is all my SD needs.

RDKLL
Supporter
Supporter
City: Mesa
Colour: Silver

Post by RDKLL » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:49 am

Clogan wrote:Has plenty of gas; filled up at favorite BP station last week on the way home. Good question, tho'.
Called the dealer this afternoon. He said try charging the battery. Even though battery is strong enough to turn the engine over, and get it to cough, it may not be turning fast enough to start and run. Sounded like a reasonable suggestion; I'll try it tomorrow.

With the electronic demands of today's vehicles, strange things happen if the battery is even a little off. The A/C quit working on my F-150. Turned out my battery was too weak to run the HVAC microprocessor, even though it was strong enough to start the truck. A new battery "fixed" my A/C. Strange indeed. Windows wouldn't roll all way upon my 'Vette. Turns out battery was weak, and even tho it started the car, the window motors stopped before full close. Charged the battery, and my window motors worked fine. Strange, but true.

Here's hoping a little extra charge to the battery is all my SD needs.
My Valkyrie is a finicky bitch with a low battery...it will spin over very fast but not enough to light it off. And when we took my wife's Subaru in for service they replaced the battery because we kept the key fobs too close to it and they kept talking to each other

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Eddie
Supporter
Supporter
City: Northumberland
Year: 2016
Model: SMT

Post by Eddie » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:07 pm

Clogan wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:32 pm
My 2016 SDGT wouldn't start today. 2800 miles, no problems before. Been colder than normal here, but bike is parked inside garage, where it's never cooler than 50°F. Engine turns over, coughs once, then dies. Attempts to restart have same result: crank, cough, die. Crank, cough, die. No hints on display. Bike ran fine last week. I suspect it's temperature related, since that's the only variable I can think of.
Mine does something like that occasionally, and especially when it's cold. I can (so far) get it running by blipping the throttle a bit, enough so it'll tick over by itself.

Almost feels like the fast idle, that you'd expect when the engine is cold, doesn't happen or isn't enough.

Clogan
250cc
250cc

Post by Clogan » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:31 pm

Put battery on a charger for couple hours, and she fired right up. Here's hoping battery holds the charge... It's only 4 months old. If not, I'll have to buy one, 'cause battery is not covered under warranty (assuming 2016 SDGT has a warranty).

Guess I oughta buy one of those jumper packs, too. Antigravity is highly recommended.

Aussie Dave
900cc
900cc
City: Brisbane

Post by Aussie Dave » Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:08 am

Just spotted your post while trawling the forum......... if the problem persists, consider having the fuel pump filter inspected or replaced as there has been a few recalls/comments about ethanol fuels reacting with the filter element and turning it it mush. This usually manifests as stalling while slowing to stop at a red light or cold starting probs. Covered by warranty/recall notice to affected years - and they usually replace the whole fuel pump and filter ( post in here somewhere......).

Aussie GT's don't have this issue as we have a choice of E-fuel or proper normal real petrol....... ;)
Current delights...1290GT-2017, CBR1100XX-2005

Prev loves...Capo1200TP-014, CBR11xx-002, 2xFZR1000genisis-94, FJ1200-89, FJ1100-84, XS1100P, VF1000F-83, CX500, VF750S, KZ1000J1-81, KZ1000ST-79, CB750F2-77, CB360T-74, CB175.. started it all in 1974 ;)